Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Text not displaying in Photoshop CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: When I create a text box over a layer and begin typing, the cursor doesn't move and none of the characters show up.

When I click out of the text field, then click back into it, the characters show up in the layer title in the Layers menu, but they still don't show up on the document itself.

I have changed font colors and sizes (even advanced font settings), and also adjusted layer visibility, arrangement and transparency. Nothing has worked.

Anyone know what might be happening? Have I somehow unchecked (or checked) a setting I'm not aware of? This is a new problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018
I was able to resolve this by taking the following steps:1. Edit > Preferences > General > Reset preferences on quit2. Window > Workspace > Esssentials, then Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials 3. Restart Photoshop.Voila.

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that when I adjust font settings, the cursor position on the left margin adjusts to reflect the changes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve this by taking the following steps:

1. Edit > Preferences > General > Reset preferences on quit

2. Window > Workspace > Esssentials, then Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials

3. Restart Photoshop.

Voila.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That worked for me. Never would've figured it out on my own.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you figured that out, but thank you, it works perfect!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here from 2021 to thank you for this. It just saved my life

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me too. I don't know how that happened in the first place. But very frustrating. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!  Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much for asking this question and for those you provided a fix!   A little more than two years later -- it helped!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the guy that had the supposed "correct answer" that only resets everything so now any NEW file you make will have the ability to type text but NONE of your previous files will.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the latest update to PhotoShop 2021.  I cannot see my text when I type.  It is so frustrating!!!

I have tried everything mentioned below with nothing working.  I'm to the point I'd rather go back to the 2018 version!!

Also, the timeline for animations will not play in the updated version!

I absolutely love PhotoShop, but these problems are about to turn me away.  It needs fixed!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines