• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The image exceeds the size Save for Web & Devices was designed for

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5. I assumed that Save for Web & Devices would have been redesigned so that it would not complain with modern large photos that they were just too big!

However, it still does. I just don't get this. Photoshop in general now is editing very large images. It should be able to handle them also in this feature.

Is this just a legacy message, or is it really true that this feature can only handle small images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Save for web was originally designed to optimize web graphics by squeezing out bytes while retaining quality.  It was not meant to scale and then optimize large images. This is demonstrated in the alert message.

You could submit a feature request to Adobe to alter the original intent of SFW.

SFW may display 4 versions of an image in various types of optimization. This requires saving 4 temporary files. Imagine trying to save a huge image 4 times at once through 'File-Save As'. This is why you see

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still making quite a crazy leap to infer an implication that simply was not there.

What you see is unusual if not impossible on a normally functioning system. We have no idea what you have. I don't see where you specified your software and system versions. That could certainly help troubleshoot the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple Illustrator possibilities....

a) you aren't acutally working on a 100x100px artboard. Perhaps it's set to 100x100 inches and you hadn't noticed.

b) You've unlocked or released a guide and that guide is being seen when calling the SFW dialog. A full pasteboard guide is absolutely above what SFW will allow.

c) you really are crazy

The above being posted.... I do so wish there were a way to save large (dimensioned) image files without all the superfluous information (meta data, previews, etc) other than only via SFW. In some modern CSS web layouts, a very large background image can be benficial if you can get it under 150-200k. Unfortunately SFW chokes and all you're left with is export at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've figured out what I was doing wrong... and I'm satisfied now that I am not crazy, I'll leave it to you whether you agree or not.

a) My art board was in fact 100x100 pixels, so that was not the problem.

b) I don't know about unlocking or releasing guides, too new at the whole Creative Suite stuff.

c) Nope, not crazy just a noob with CS-5.

I tried to see if it would happen in Photoshop but could not reproduce it there, but this is my explanation for what was going wrong:

When I was deselecting the graphic I had just drawn, before going to SFW, sometimes I was clicking outside the artboard. Illustrator was, I guess, trying to help me out and automatically creating or selecting artboard #2 (this just changed a little 1 to a 2 at the bottom left corner of the window that I did not notice). Then it seems like SFW was getting artboard #2, which was empty, and instead of generating an error message of "The selected artboard contains no graphics" it treated it like it was too big.

It does not happen with artboard #1 with nothing drawn on it so it must have to do with artboard #2 not be totally initialized or something. Does Photoshop have artboards too?

Thanks everyone for all your help. Life is much simpler now. I was doing an Export... to a PNG from Illustrator for every drawing, then opening them in Photoshop, then doing a SFW from Photoshop to have the features it offered for resizing, setting color depth, etc., for web optimization, and that was getting quite tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFW doesn't see the artboard details - it just gets an image from Illustrator.

If you'd like Illustrator to give an error in a similar case, you should request that in the Illustrator forums.

No, Photoshop does not have artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, with the non-existent 2nd artboard inadvertently being

selected, SFW must be getting a null pointer or uninitialized object

instead of an image and clearly not the image that I have drawn on

artboard 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know what Illustrator hands off to SFW in that case.  Only the Illustrator team would know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting dozens of replies to this email w hich i did not send!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

You replied in earlier posts, so you're automatically getting email notifications. To turn this off, go the the upper right 'Actions' section and click 'Stop email notifications'.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our original full sphere panorama images are 6000 x 3000px 16bit 105mb .TIF's.

Photoshop CS4  works

We converted them to 6000 x 3000px  8bit  .tif.  When using Save for Web and Devices we would get the "Warning 'Image exceeds".  We clicked "yes" knowing that it would take some time.... but that was ok.  The two pane panel properly dispalyed our 2 images. Original pane shows 7.5mb.  By using the compression slider we are able to get the file down to our desired file size of 6.5mb

Photoshop CS5 does not work

We converted them to 6000 x 3000px  8bit  .tif.  When using Save for Web and Devices we would get the "Warning 'Image exceeds".  We clicked "yes" knowing that it would take some time.... but that was ok.  The two pane panel is displayed now in RED overlay and fails to let us go any farther.

Obviously, programmers really do know the maximum file size that can be handled in Save for Web.  Question is why isn't the maximum file size shown in the documentation... then there would no SFW issue to talk about here in the forum.

Guess that is why I am still using CS4 for conversions  and later using CS5.5 for our normal work flow.

/s/

Dave still at 360Texas.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and CS5 are two different programs. CS4 is based on Carbon and CS5 is Cocoa. You may be experiencing a bug that crept in through this transition. You can report the bug here.

SFW's image formats (GIF/PNG/JPG) may have their own unique size limitations so the initial warning you see before SFW loads would not be able to know your intent yet. This is why a general warning appears.

If SFW was actually used on images intended for web and device display (as it was intended) then there would be no SFW issue to talk about here in the forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention,  we are on a PC Windows Vista.

So I know CS 4 SFW works and CS 5 SFW does not work.   Our output is to .jpg only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

texas360 wrote:

…Sorry I forgot to mention,  we are on a PC Windows Vista…

Are you aware that you're posting to the Adobe Photoshop MACINTOSH forum?

The confusion you caused led to your receiving some Mac-specific tips.  You can disregard any reference to Carbon and Cocoa

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps no did not realize ... ah now I see up at the top Photoshop Mac.

I actually arrived here using Adobe's search feature that did not have a box to specify the Forum platform...

Thanks for the heads up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and CS5 are two different programs. CS4 is based on Carbon and CS5 is Cocoa. You may be experiencing a bug that crept in through this transition. You can report the bug here.

FYI, "Photoshop Family" bug reporting is actually here now:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/

(And Feature Requests has moved there too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All roads lead to the same place. But you saved an extra click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All roads lead to the same place. But you saved an extra click.

Actually a scroll and 2 clicks.

More importantly, the "place" is very different now. It is a lot less formal way to report a problem or request a feature. I'm curious how well that venue will work - especially when a new PS version comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  I did cross post our issue at the URL you recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines