• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There isn't enough room to display this document error code

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and another person as I also just finished installing the Jan 23 Photoshop CC update, reopened the program, and attempted to open a simple JPG file.  I rec'd the error message:  "There isn't enough room to display this document."   What's that supposed to mean?  Then I tried to create a new document and rec'd this message:  "Could not create a new document.  There isn't enough room to display this document."     My system runs Windows 10, has 64GB of RAM, 2T hard drives with adequate space for scratch disks.  I tried restarting my computer but no change.  I uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop cc 2018 and it worked correctly opening one image and then reverted to the same problem. The response to the previous person suggested going to Documents and Settings to change a DAT file, however, in Windows 10 PRO there is no access to this file and Microsoft advised there is no longer this specific file available.  Please help....  Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Hi All,

This issue should be fixed in the Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1.4) release which is now available. Checkout the list of fixed issues here: Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Please update Photoshop CC 2018 via the Creative Cloud desktop app and let us know if you continue to have any trouble.

Update Creative Cloud apps

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the trick JJMack! Thanks much and cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And sorry to omit before, I did switch to the Essential Workspace. And UPDATE: I still can't open anything (no matter what format, PSD, PNG, JPG) without the error message. However, though it's not the best work around - I CAN create a new PSD and then "Place Embedded" visual elements into it and tweak it as needed. But still, it's not being fully functional. Here is a screen cap I made of the error message. PSerror.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the very same issue, windows 7, 32G Ram, Nvidia Quadro etc....
Have to change the workspace for every pic I want to open. Have tried the delete folder, sucsessfully for about two images, then this message return. Not enough room to display..... This happend with the last update of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be having this problem because you are not using Windows 10.  Adobe fixed CC 2018 19.1 UI scaling  using new  Windows 10 features.  You are using an older version of windows. Why not alsouse an older version of Photoshop that works on windows 7 correctly,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you who are seeing this error, can you try the following and let me know if it resolves for you?

• In Windows search type "cmd.exe" to bring up a terminal window

• At the prompt, paste the following string:

“REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\120.0 /f /v OverridePhysicalMemoryMB /t REG_DWORD /d 4500”

***In that string, 4500 represents the amount of installed RAM (In this case 4500 = 4.5GB. If you have 24GB of RAM, you would replace 4500 with 24000***

Thank you!

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me.  Very frustrating as i also having looming deadlines and a photoshop that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may help to solve this problem by Adobe with next update posting you're having same issue in their Photoshop bugs forums, so we are stronger with more chance they are going to do something with this otherwise that will not be priority:

Photoshop: There isn't enough room to display this document | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know Penny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who wants to get to know why it happens check: There isn't enough room to display this document => bug !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to create a brand new workspace, photography, and now everything is working like a charm. I have after updated with the string above to 32000 RAM. I dont know if that made any changes since it already worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you undock your Tools bar from the edge of Photoshop workspace and move it somwhere in center of screen, or even better to bottom as well, will document decrease its size on screen while opening / creating or perhaps error occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my toolbar at the right side. It works fine at the bottom as well.photoshop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure you did what I asked you to check. If you undock your Tools bar from right side (edge), then move it to center of screen, and then open/create document will be this document smaller than normally is? Additionally if you do what I just said but move your Tools bar even lower from center of screen will error message occur while creating/opening document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are correct, if I take the toolbar below middle the error came back, ans I could nopt open any documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably that won't make difference for you as you use Tools bar docked to (other panels that are docked too) edges, but if you consider you want this bug was gone for next update you may post in a theard in Photoshop bugs forum where Adobe staff work too: Photoshop: There isn't enough room to display this document | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem and that combined solution worked a treat, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combined solution? There is only one reason it happens because of bug, so the only one solution. You can read everything about in reply No.30. It seems you are another one who ddin't read last posts as first, but perhaps ws suggested but 'Correct Answer (that green one), that is not correct answer at all. Moderator should unmark it if we don't want it entered users into mistake again and again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read 18 and 40. That should work!

Yes it is a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack posting that general solution had no idea yet what's reason of this bug, so that he proposed was to resotre settings to default, the same what one could do experiencing other problem with Photoshop but could not figure out what exactly to do beside launching 'fresh' Photoshop. Undocked Tools Bar is what produces this wrong behaviour. When you know it what I tried to say in this theard you don't have to do time consuming workaround that additionally affects loosing your other preferences.

If you reset your preferences by that method then your images will open correctly in fact but you have to personalize all Photoshop preferences once again to those you have set before reseting them.

If you still wouldn't know cause why this bug happens and encounter it again will you each time use that method to restore correct Ps work what means you had to change again all settings you lost? If that is a method then let us go step further. We can uninstall Photoshop and install it again to get the same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I'm happy because what I did above solved the problem and got all my settings back including my preferences. Pretty easy solution IMHO. I was back to work in less than 5 minutes as if it never happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you understood my goal. Everything what gives expected result is a solution of course. But less than 5 minutes solution is better solution than max to 5 seconds solution, really?

All you have to do if you don't mind to work with custom workspace, or just with Tools Bar not docked to screen edge is to dock your Tools Bar to left / right edge when this bug happens. That takes 2 - 3 seconds, and that doesn't affect completely anything there may be set in Photoshop preferences.

That you're doing by that other method is to open your Files explorer, click View bookmark, click Options Icon, (sometimes choose options too), change bookmark to View again, scroll down to hidden Folder and Files. Click appriopate radio button, Apply it, Close it. Then go deeper and deeper in you Folders tree about 6 levels, Rename proper folder, Close Files Browser, Relaunch Photoshop, set all (sometimes many) settings you had earlier set back (not mentioning it's easy to forget some of them). Go to Folders setting again by all ealier mentioned steps and uncheck radio button you clicked at beginning.

This all I'm writing from memory, but it looks like it. For someone who does it 1st time it may be little complicated. For now that bug didn't happen for you again. But if it will wouldn't you like be aware of that causing it to solve problem in two secs?

That I want mainly to say it's not good to propagate worse soltuions that later may be reproduced by others still, while there is something easier that additionally let users understand why somethig happened they could temporarily fix it and without spending too much time on it, and even pointing to others the same wrong methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 minutes was more like 3. I did not lose my workspace, preferences nor did I need to dock or undock anything. After I did what I did. Everything came back just as customized as it was before with every little window just where I left it before said bug, recent files, plug-ins, actions, all  preferences exact. If you add my search on this forum and finding Jjmack's answer, doing that and doing my addition, yeah, 5 minutes. LOL. Not looking back. My work is ahead of schedule because PS is even running faster. Veni, Vidi, Vici.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So still you prefer to do the same thing in 3 minutes than 3 seconds? If that will happen again will you spend 3 minutes again or 3 seconds? If someone ask you what to do in this situation will you suggest this person 3 minutes solution of 3 seconds solution?

My conversation with you looks like it:

Someone had the same problem you encountered. To find solution he looked for answer on forums. He found someone suggested to reinstall Photoshop that takes abut 10 minutes. Then someone like you say:

- that's not good solution I can give you something better to do it in just 3 minutes (by the method you used).

That other guy answers:

- I don't need your help though that does the same in 3 mins. I found mine, that takes 10 mins and it works, so what is problem?

It seems people like JJMack or me who spend much of their time on this Forums shouldn't do their job and be of help anymore, seeing people like you refuse their efforts to make user's life easier.

Moreover, do you think JJMack would suggest to anyyone that solution he found out if he already knew that bug is caused by position of undocked ToolsBar? I appreaciate he found anything that helps, but that was before we got known what's the real reason.

(...)nor did I need to dock or undock anything.

You say, you do not have to dock anything? Really? Yes you don't have manually to dock anything (in 3 seconds), but eventually you HAVE to dock Tools Bar REMOTELLY. That method you used is docking your Tools Bar to the edge (in 3 minutes). It's why the bug doesn't disturb you anymore.

And please don't say that you don't lose your Photoshop settings and preferences. That's completetly not true. To prove it I'm quoting JJMack sentence from his correct answer:

Now starting Photoshop will create new saved user data for you user id no old save information will be used.

If you say you don't lose settings and preferences using his method while he is stating you does then which version is true, his or yours?! You used a method that clears / restore your settings. You admit it, but at same time you reject it works this way. Simply magic

And the little quiz for you. You have 3 options to open images correctly in Photoshop. Which one you think Adobe should acknowledge as official in their manual:

- dock your Tools Bar (3 seconds)

- rename Settings fodler (3 minutes)

- reinstall Photoshop (10 minutes)

And I'm sorry, I just realised people are different. So if someone will tell me there's no option for him in the above quiz, because all 3 methods takes time that's below one hour I will understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. What I did worked exactly as I said. No reinstall. I can un-dock or dock anything. I just wanted that error to away. It did, I lost nothing, as I said. Good Luck, Have a Happy Holiday and I am done with this, at this point, unnecessary, useless and ridiculous arguing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 21.1.3 and the problem is still there. Moreover, docking toolbars anywhere does not seem to help on my machine. However, I discovered, quite by accident, that just turning the tools palette off seems to work. If I need it, I can turn it on while editing the image with no problems, so perhaps that's a workaround for other folks as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines