• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails not showing after saving .jpeg/.png++ from Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so this is an old problem that I see has been around for some time, with no clear solution. Adobe blaming Apple and so on....

Now I have a Macbook Pro with OS Sierra, with both Photoshop CS5.1 and now Photoshop CC. It wasn't until I started using Ps CC that this problem occurred, when I started saving .jpegs from the new Ps, and it even removes thumbnails from old ps documents made from the old one!. The old one still is able to export the jpegs just fine, with thumbnails. The old version enables you to check of either the thumbnail button or the icon button, but the CC version doesn't give you this option, which seemed to fix the problem for others having the same issue.

Does anyone have a solution to this????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is saving thumbnails with the images, and MacOS can normally read most of the extensions images to create its own thumbnails. But there are some MacOS problems that sometimes cause some folders to not correctly show thumbnails for files.

Try to rename the file .JPG or .PNG manually sometimes you can see the file name without extension name so that's why!

Not seeing that on my iMac. Photoshop CC version.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 2.09.44 PM.png

Thanks,

Ahmed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Revision.

I had a tiff file saved in Photoshop CS6.

I opened the file in Photoshop CC

Made a change then "saved as" and wrote over the old file.

The old icon stayed the same.

I opened the file again and "Saved as" into a new folder and the new icon appeared.

I opened the new folder and then opened the new file, made a changed then saved.

The icon changes now.

I think the problem was the icons don't change automatically from older photoshop to newer CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just yesterday I was looking some old files from Photoshop. The old thumbnails had no border and the new ones do. It was part of Apple's move to a new way of creating thumbnails. It did take a while for Adobe and Apple to fix the bugs.

So first thing, set up the Finder to report filename extensions on the thumbnails under Finder > Preferences

Then be sure your image files have the proper extension. A jpeg Photo should be Photo.jpg and have that extension or it won't work.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.18.40 AM.png

Next, use these settings in Photoshop Preferences to create thumbnails.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 8.21.36 AM.png

You then open your image and make a non-destructive change such as clicking a layer eyeball off and on.

When you save your image, you should see the new thumbnail with the border.

On occasions an image may get the wrong extension. Preview will fix that for you. Open the suspicious file in Preview, save it and it will replace the errant extension with the proper one.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, Gene!

Sadly it seems like these steps aren't working for me, on both the .jpg and .psd files, as finder is still just showing the image as a preview and keeps giving me the white border and this as thumbnail:

Skjermbilde 2017-09-08 kl. 09.57.49.png

Still when I open the file in the old Photoshop (CS5.1), is automatically adds the thumbnail when I save the file. Either Finder is unable to read the saved thumbnail from the new photoshop (CC), or it simply isn't saved with the file at all, as opening the file in CC removes it again.....

Any suggestions?

- Line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lineb,

You may try using the Photoshop in a user account which should have all the Admin rights and check if that helps.

How to create new user account on Mac OS Sierra: macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. preview images not saved to thumbnails.

Also modified images saved as new with current date, not as modified with original created date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue as OP.

When saving a psd as a png it will not display the thumbnail.  Tried checking all the file viewing and file handling options too.  Even opening the png and saving it as a jpeg caused the new jpeg to not have an thumbnail. It is extremely frustrating and when trying to use the image for Twitter, etc, it has issues with the files with no thumbnail.

I really hope this is looked into and fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try opening the png in Preview and going to File > Save. See if that solves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a fix that worked for me, if you are a member of Amazon Prime. They let you upload an unlimited number of photos. I found that if I uploaded the jpegs whose icons were not showing the picture to Amazon Prime Photos and then downloaded them all back to my computer, the icons now showed the image picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the solution if you are using a Mac.  Right-click on the icon. From the drop-down menu choose "Show view options". From the next drop-down menu check "show icon previews".  Then go to the bottom and click to save as default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the first thing that I tried (repeatedly). It doesn't work. But, thank you for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry to hear that. It worked for me. Just in case, here are the precise details of my situation some of which you might be able to duplicate and see if it works. I am using an older (2011?) MacBook Pro running High Sierra version 10.13.3. The photos were originally taken with an iPhone and were stored in Photos on my laptop via iCloud. I dragged the images to the desktop from Photos and opened and edited them in Elements. I renamed them on the desktop by editing the caption under the icon. The icon changed from thumbnail to that generic icon sometime during this editing and renaming process. (this didn’t use to happen, maybe there was an update or something, don’t remember). I dragged the images into a folder, where they still retained the generic icon in list view. Then I went through the process I described in my post and all the generic icons changed to thumbnails even though I had only worked on one of them. This happened even before I selected the default thing at the bottom of the dropdown. I am using Elements version 11.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked at your post again and realized that we are not using the same version of Photoshop, you are using something called CC and I’m using Elements, which is a simplified version of Photoshop. I suppose none of that advice will help, too bad.

Betty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am using Elements also. All new photos that I edit with the current version of Elements save with no problem and the preview picture shows up. However, the thousands of pictures I edited and saved with previous versions of Elements reverted to the generic jpeg icon and can't be changed unless I either open them again one by one in Elements and resave them or do that upload and download trick I described using Amazon Prime. I suspect the problem lies in the upgrades within the Mac OS from one version to another. Anyway, I have almost finished slogging through my photos and resaving them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CC 2018 on a 2017 27" iMac running Sierra. It worked for me.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You write "Here is the solution if you are using a Mac.  Right-click on the icon. From the drop-down menu choose "Show view options". From the next drop-down menu check "show icon previews".  Then go to the bottom and click to save as default. " Go to the bottom of what?  I don't see any option in view options to save as default.  Please clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how to call up and use View Options: cmd j is the shortcut. I would not recommend "Use as Defaults" unless you want all folder icons/thumbnails to be the same size. I use smaller thumbnails for my Desktop and larger ones for my Finder windows.

The options are sticky, they stay where you adjusted them, no Save necessary.

More details here:

Tech 101: How to Customize Folder Views in macOS Finder | Other World Computing Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, been over a year now, and nothings seems to help. Thanks to everyone who has commented, but none of the solutions seems to work. I have now also upgraded to High Sierra, and now even my old photoshop(Cs5.1) won't save a thumbnail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix, but it's a little annoying to have to do every time.

1) Open the image in the Preview app. 2) Open the "File" menu and choose "Export". 3) Navigate to the location where the original file is stored and click "Save". 4) Click "Replace" to overwrite the original file.

Your thumbnail should be fixed. Hopefully soon, Apple or Adobe will implement something to permanently repair this annoying issue. But in the meantime, at least there's a functional workaround, even if it is a little time-consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this didn't work for me. I wish it had as I can't edit any images on my macbook - have to move them to an imac and work from there. I wish I understood what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only works for me if I save the edited photo a .png, then open in Preview etc. Mac High Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It saves the correct thumbnail/icon only if you click on Save As and save it into a different folder....it won't over writethe file and save with the new icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines