• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring CS6 to New Macbook

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community, I hope someone can give me a definitive answer to this. I have a full license to the Creative Suite CS6 that I purchased and have registered in my name since late 2013. I'm a professional traveling photographer and it has been my primary production tool on my Macbook Air which it has always been installed in since late 2013. CS6 is still my primary production tool as I don't have Internet in my home and any subscription service is unaffordable at this time. My Macbook Air has battery issues and is now a liability and I must upgrade. I'm only looking at new Macbooks because I own this CS6 suite already and it still meets all of my needs and then some. I will only invest in a new Macbook if I know for a fact that my existing license will transer to a new a computer. I don't have installation CD's, I purchased a digital download version of my software from Adobe. Can this be done? I've heard conflicting answers some saying no, because Adobe will no longer honor the old software. If I can transfer, what will be the steps I need to take? Thank you very, very much for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Your new Mac will be running macOS Catalina which has zero support for 32 bit software. It will only install and run 64 bit apps.

Although Photoshop CS6 comes in 64 bit, unfortunately the installer and other components are 32 bit so CS6 will not install or run on Catalina. Adobe has no plans to make CS6 Catalina-comptaible.

In fact, Adobe states that only Photoshop CC versions 20.x and 21.x (current) will run on Catalina. Any prior version - including CS6 version 13.x - will not. 

See https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your new Mac will be running macOS Catalina which has zero support for 32 bit software. It will only install and run 64 bit apps.

Although Photoshop CS6 comes in 64 bit, unfortunately the installer and other components are 32 bit so CS6 will not install or run on Catalina. Adobe has no plans to make CS6 Catalina-comptaible.

In fact, Adobe states that only Photoshop CC versions 20.x and 21.x (current) will run on Catalina. Any prior version - including CS6 version 13.x - will not. 

See https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Options:

1. Downgrade to macOS Mojave and run CS6, or
  2. Stay on Catalina, subscribe to a Cloud plan and run the latest version of Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Perpetual Photoshop licenced were for either Windows or for Mac.  So you can not switch to Windows and user you Mac CS6 serial.  You need to use an old version of OSX.

Apple and Adobe don't care about compatibility in fact compatibility problems help them get new sales.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm less inclined to lay this particular one on Apple. They gave developers 10+ years to switch to 64 bit. They really stepped up the campaign 3 years ago with Mojave and dropped 32 bit support entirely with Catalina.

Adobe did all the 64 bit work on their core apps but none on the legacy installers. In my view, they leveraged this to force Catalina users to their Cloud plans. In fact, if you have a Mac with Mojave and CS6 already installed then upgrade to Catalina, you can still run CS6, although I'm not sure if it will run 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJMack, that I do only have a Mac license, so that is what I suspected. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnank you John for that thorough reply. I did upgrade my Macbook Air to Mojave and continue to run to my CS6 without issue, so I'm still very happy in those regards. I just don't trust this current Mac to hold out that much longer. If you buy a new Mac though, can one opt to run an older operating system like Mojave, or can you not go backwards, or downgrade like you recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> If you buy a new Mac though, can one opt to run an older operating system like Mojave, or can you not go backwards, or downgrade like you recommend?

If you buy a new Mac, you'll have Catalina pre-installed.

If you really want to stick with CS6 and reinstall it, then you can downgrade to Mojave:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/#bootable

You'll then have to download the CS6 installer. Adobe should provide a link in your Adobe account.

If not, you can download from:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

Have a good hard think about running CS6 though. You'll be using 8 year old software on a brand new cutting edge Mac. All CS6 development has long ceased and Adobe regards it as a dead product so there's no support. Also it won't open Raw files from today's digital cameras so you'll be forced to use the DNG converter after every single shoot.

The Photography Plan is $9.99/month for the very latest Photoshop and Lightroom and full support on Catalina.

I also recommend you check your existing apps and see how many are 32 bit. None of them will run on Catalina so see if 64 bit versions are available.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/32-bit-mac-apps/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, that is all extremely helpful. I agree, it is not ideal to run 8 year old software on a brand new Mac or to downgrade just to do so, but at least I know it is possible if I were to go that route. I've already been converting all my RAW files to DNGs for years now, so that's no concern. For me it will be a decision between a new Mac and keeping the CS6 that I'm familiar with and which I still find perfectly adequate for my workflow, or going with two entirely new non-subscription softwares on a new Mac or PC, such as Davinci Resolve for film editing and something like Capture One for photo workflow. Thanks again for the links and this advice, I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am pretty sure a new mac shipping with Catalina installed will not be able to be downgraded. You defintiely need to find that out and confirm before putting down the cash.

Slightly older models are often still available at great prices.  I often go that way myself. I am not an early adopter by any means, been bitten to many times with software incompatibies on upgrading. 

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I am pretty sure a new mac shipping with Catalina installed will not be able to be downgraded.

Classic Apple. Looks like it depends on which Mac you buy. And it's not for the faint-hearted.

According to this website: "downgrading a new Mac from Catalina to 10.14 Mojave is possible for models other than the 16-inch MacBook Pro and the 2019 Mac Pro."

https://tidbits.com/2020/01/03/how-to-downgrade-a-new-mac-to-mojave-from-catalina/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John tyvm for your input!:)

Do u maybe know if I could downgrade on a new MacBook pro 2021(OS 11) to Mojave? and if so ..could u pls tell me how?

have a great day!

gal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lagoren, I seriously doubt that it's possible to run Mojave on a 2021 Mac. Ask Apple support, they are VERY helpful.

New Apple Mac architecture tends to be optimised for the newer Mac OS. Catalina is full 64 bit (only) so it's quite different. Frustrating at times but if improvements are to be incorporated then that’s the only way. Some moan about this but, you can't put a 1999 gearbox in a 2021 car either.

I like Mojave, so I run an older Mac that’s compatible. There are plenty around. Ideally try get one that came with Mojave installed.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm also trying to figure how to get an older stand alone Photoshop CS version to run on my Mac. I don't really like being charge a monthly fee. Still searching for this option, otherwise Krita seems to be a great free alternative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Mac, new apps, big budget. It's all part of the Joy of Mac. 

A general note: new "M1" Macs cannot be downgraded from Big Sur. And in a couple of years they won't run ANY of the current apps, Apple have stated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely not going to be possible or only in a virtual machine at some point. If you get a new Mac, you'll need to subscribe to Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later, I know, but for anyone else that comes across this thread:

My solution was to grab a 2012 Mac mini on eBay and still it in my computer cabinet. It’s connected to my network via gigabit ethernet and I use Screen Sharing to access it. It’s a bit of a kludge, but I got my entire Creative Suite 6 up and running on High Sierra for less than the price of four months of CC.

Sorry, Adobe. CS6 still more than meets my needs, and I bought a perpetual license for a reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*stick in in my cabinet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a perpetual license for a reason.

Adobe didn't "change" CS6. You still have exactly what you paid for. Apple changed MacOS.

And honestly, who can blame them. Do you expect Apple (or Microsoft) to halt all development so that you can run ten year old software?

In fact, what this shows with perfect clarity, is that "perpetual" licenses aren't perpetual at all. They only work as long as the environment doesn't change. If you insist on running old software, you need to deep-freeze your whole system. You need to put it in a time capsule, lock it, and throw away the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

In fact, what this shows with perfect clarity, is that "perpetual" licenses aren't perpetual at all. They only work as long as the environment doesn't change. If you insist on running old software, you need to deep-freeze your whole system. You need to put it in a time capsule, lock it, and throw away the key.

Actually that does mean perpetual licenses are perpetual. The license never changes and is in effect literally for perpetuity. I have perpetual licenses for lots of 1990s software that I still have a total right to use, even though I no longer have any compatible hardware to run it on.

I’m only pointing this out because some people think a perpetual license entitles the user to perpetual support, and that part is not true, support is a different subject. Some say they wish software worked more like a car, where if you buy a car you can use it forever. But it’s already actually very similar. You can run the car or the software as long as you like. But if something goes wrong with the car or the software, “owning” it does not mean the manufacturer of either the car or the software owes you any more support after the warranty period that was accepted at purchase time. If the car breaks down after 15 or 20 years so you need a part that is no longer manufactured, being a full owner of the car cannot force any company to provide a replacement part or service for free. Because the ownership license is different from the support obligation — a perpetual license is a different subject than perpetual support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo, Conrad. That’s a great analogy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@OtterWithKids thanks for the reply, regardless of how timely. I have thought about going this exact same route, have seen plenty of older 2012/2013 Mac Mini's online for between $150 and $250. I'll pick up one of those, then I could theoretically transfer my license and software for CS6 to it, if I think my 2012 Macbook Air won't hold out any longer. So far though, it's fine, as long as it's never unplugged, which suits me and my needs just fine. But, the used Mac Mini, as you say, is a good option if you want to hold onto and keep running old CS6's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines