Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency grid stay on image

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I have download a couple of lens flares from the internet, but when I add it to my project, the transparency grid is still visible. Any solutions would be greatful.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Maurice,

Is it possible you can add some screenshots of the file when opened (with the layers visible) and possibly also forward the original lens flare image (If you are allowed to do it) - or at least a screenshot of it?
It will help spotting any issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will send the screenshot momentarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screenshot. The original is not supported as the extension is .webp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hazard that your image looks like it's transparent (the checkerboard) but isn't really. It would look more like a opaque image of a transparency (a bit like if it was screenshot). See how in your layer panel, the layer is a sharp edged rectangle instead of being the shape of the visible pixels. Webp should accept transparencies, but ideally your files should be PNG, Tiff, or PSD with an alpha channel, I would bet this file isn't transparent after all

One thing you could do and see it's a quick fix enough for you, is to change the blending mode to - say - overlay or hard light - in that particular layer and see if you can achieve satisfactory results.

Imaginerie_1-1671722709304.png

Webp is a type of format that is essentially for preventing people from stealing images on the web. This is very unlikely that someone distributing lens flares would do as webp images (Or they are a bit wicked 🙂 )

Side note: There is a lens flare generator included in the filters in Photoshop, have you tried it?

Imaginerie_0-1671722656832.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I have tried the overlay or hard light blending mode, but the image has still the checkered background and you can still see the sides of the square. I also did the lens flare generator build in but it does not give me the effect I am looking for. Thank you anyway for the assistence, I will try something else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just need to find a lens flare that is transparent, and as I said, ideally in PNG, Tiff or PSD, not what appears to be a screenshot of an image.

You could search online with the query "lens flare overlay .png". Overlay meaning that hopefully the file will be destined to be applied on top of another image.

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I will do as suggested with search query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you post a screenshot of the Photoshop interface with the layers panels opened, what type of file did you download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will send the screenshot momentarily. I only realize now the file is a .webp. Will that be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of stock art with transparency often includes the checkboard background to indicate that there is transparency, but you may have to do a little extra work to make it transparent. 

I can see in the screenshot that you're placing the stock art. It gets placed as a Smart Object. It's likely that the Smart Object contains additional layers--including that checkerboard.

Try double-clicking on the Smart Object to see if you can access its layers and hide the checkerboard.

In some cases--especially with glows--the stock art needs a background of some sort in order to work with a blend mode that has been applied to the glowy parts. So you may need to add a background, save the stock art, return to Photoshop and apply a blend mode to that stock art layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the information. I think I succeeded. There is so much more I need to learn. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines