Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trouble saving photoshop files...

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

When turning back on my computer (Rog strix scar III) and photoshop, the file I was working on has becom black, and all the layers have merged into a locked backround... and lost an important amount of time on this files.. both time it happened it was a A2 format canvas, and didn't cause any issue on my mac. 

I previously had a Mac so maybe there is stuff that I should know before countinuing working on other files and making more mistakes !

Thank you for any advise / help  ! 

and wishing you a Happy New Year 

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers can not be merged unless you have saved them merged. It is not happening, something is merging layers or you have saved them, accidentally merged. There isn't such bug in Photoshop. Maybe you have problem with display driver but still... layers are mistery if you know file is saved with layers. Can you upload file or files somewhere and post link so we can check them? 

Update: perhaps I do not understand what are you talking about? Do you want to say that somehow file with layers becomed flattened in open Photoshop document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, 

It has happened twice, th file doesn't get flatten.. it looses all its content, it has only happen when making files of size .. and they worked perfectly few hours before.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/349f68ac4a09eaf2db402ff45082ea2420200103104053/cf2002c23fa87fd53b3f...

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a corrupt file.

Photoshop can't do this. Check your hardware. The most likely culprit is a hard drive about to fail, or bad RAM. Another possibility is that your machine crashes during the save. Have you had any indication of irregular shutdowns, sudden restarts etc?

Above all, watch this and make sure you have backup of everything important. If you don't, do that right away. Just copy everything to a different drive, don't open anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

when this happens the computer does an update before turning on.. bmaybe this has an impact, but it hasn't crashed or anything while working on the files. 

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a local drive, as recommended and supported by Adobe, or to an external/network drive which is not supported due to potential corruption issues?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume A2 files are quite huge, so they may take time to save, did you save them in a .PSB format? Maybe you should give it a go to the new PSDC format as you have past versions as well https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/about-cloud-documents.html !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a particularly big file (I downloaded it) - roughly 6500 x 4500 pixels. That's a standard camera file these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We never got an answer to Dave's question: are you saving to an external drive? This is always much more vulnerable to corruption because of loose or damaged cables/connectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

sorry, I save everyting on the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines