• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to create a Colour Overlay which excludes lighter colours.

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am trying to replicate work done by another designer on an unknown phone app and figured it would be a straight colour overlay.

The problem I am facing is that the colour overlay is affecting all colours of said image, but I am only really seeking to change the darker colours... I want the whites to stay white and the darks to be coloured... If that makes sense. Also I would like the colour to be brighter (ie: first image) without adjusting the transparency -which obscures the image.

First picture is the result I am trying to achieve, the second is what am currently achieving.Example 1.jpgExample 2 .jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to post a screenshot of the original before the effect? I'm sure I can do a short tutorial for you.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

This is the image I'm working with. I do not have the original for the reference picture

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest way is a Gradient Map adjustment layer. The target symbols are where you double-click to edit:

gradient1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate it ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@danielw41398108 

Please mark this as the correct answer if this achieves the desired result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have gone with a different approach:

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.36.57.jpg

and it depends on what you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.39.58.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and here are the layers I used: all non destructable:

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.41.35.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.41.46.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.41.54.jpgScreenshot 2021-07-28 at 13.42.09.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh this is amazing too! It's so valuable to have two different perspectives on this. And thank you so much for the detailed tutorial -I really appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a hiue saturation setting you can adjust the wanted color and in  the color spaces affected with the sliders the bottom of the panel. So you can almost do anything you want.

Begin with checking the little hand and click on the image part you want to affect then work on the sliders…

Capture d’écran 2021-07-28 à 17.50.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have always thought that Hue/Sat is underrated and under used. Colour Overlay depends on the tonal value of underlying pixels.  It has most effect on mid tones, and none at all on full black and full white. So with a Hue/Sat layer you can control that with the lightness slider.   One layer. Job done.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@danielw41398108 – Please mark one or multiple answers as correct so that others with the same/similar question know that an answer was found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines