• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to move Keyboard shortcuts over from desktop to laptop

Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to move Keyboard shortcuts over from desktop to laptop-- and as I copy that file over I get:

Finder cannot complete operation because some data in keyboard shortcut can't be read or written, error 36

Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is observed when folders from a Windows-compatible volume get moved to a Mac and then back again. The dreaded “Error Code -36″ message is the result. If you are experiencing this problem, you can run a simple dot_clean utility to remove the hidden "dot-underscore" files from your flash drive or memory card. This may be a bit scary but you have to use the terminal.

1. Open the terminal then type dot_clean then type a single space.

2. Drag the flash drive icon to the terminal window and the path for the drive will be added automatically with the correct syntax.

3. Press enter. The hidden "._" files should be deleted then you can copy files to and from the drive with no problems.

If you are not comfortable with this then format the flash drive to a mac format and copy it to that instead.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone has any better ideas, please help. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did terminal got this

Last login: Wed May  2 11:05:11 on console

Macintosh-3:~ ken$

Macintosh-3:~ ken$ dot_clean /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/

Failed trying to change dir to /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/

Bad Pathname: No such file or directory

Macintosh-3:~ ken$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was not flash drive, did icloud, but could try drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it on desktop with flash drive, still not work, mind bending, from desktop to laptop in Application Support keyboard shortcuts, any ideas? ????? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Let's try connecting directly to your desktop to get to load your keyboard shortcuts:

1. Start in your system preferences and select Sharing for the computer that has the shortcuts you need to copy.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.29.26 AM.png

2. Turn on File sharing.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.29.35 AM.png

2. You should see the connected server on the sidebar of the finder window on the other computer if you are on the same network. Click on the shared computer. Sign into the system and find your keyboard shortcuts: Users Library>Application Support>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CC 2018> Presets>Keyboard Shortcuts>name of saved shortcuts.

(Make sure your Users Library is in view in your User's folder. If you go into your User Folder (You can see all of your User Folders like Desktop, Documents, etc. Just right-click and choose "Show View Options" then choose "Show LIbrary Folder". This will make it easier to find the needed file.)

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.46.44 AM.png

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Katie, interesting , never used this feature. question:

Is the laptop, going into the desktops library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You are connecting directly with the keyboard shortcuts in the User Preferences on the Desktop. You can also try dragging a copy to your desktop first (hold the option key on drag) that way you will not be connecting to the actual library. I would try the desktop option first then the actual library. Let me know how it works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still confused

I made copy to the icloud drive which the laptop and access. So why go through all this?

and don't understand all this now "You can also try dragging a copy to your desktop first (hold the option key on drag) that way you will not be connecting to the actual library. I would try the desktop option first then the actual library. Let me know how it works out."

Haven't I done essentially this already? I made  a copy from desktop to icloud drive which the laptap can use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I did sucessfully bring keyboard shortcut folder to PS 2017 on laptop without the error but still does not work as does on desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selected perfectly and still does not work. Mind boggingly crazy how difficult this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the shared drives have the corruption on them so was avoiding them. Thought your hard drive would be ok. And worse case scenario thought connecting to the working source would be good too. You are saying it still does not work? Perplexed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be safe, here's an overview:

Migrate presets, actions, and settings

If I were you, after transferring the file I'd be sure to restart PS at a minimum, and if it's still giving you grief, reboot the computer.

And if you're having trouble with a drive try dropbox or even emailing the presets to yourself.

Pretty low-level help, I know, but sometimes it's something basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Way, ok I used the official migrate import tool does not work. Maybe someone from Adobe can jump in, as they created this nightmare for their customers. This is the only major cloud software that does not intuitively match a desktop and laptop together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any smart people from Adobe come on these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines