• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trying to put a frame around a photo in photoshp 7.0

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I've spent hours trying to put a frame around a nice photo in photoshop 7. I have looked at tutorials with limited success. I have tried to download frames from google, there are many but I save  the image and when I try to upload it into photoshop it includes the white background of the frame. I can't just drag the frame by itself. Anyone can help would be good, thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Press Ctrl+T to enter transform mode, press the Alt key and scroll with the mouse wheel to make your picture smaller until you see the Transform Bounding Box. Then press the Shift key and move one of the corner handles inward to reduce the frame size.

Screenshot-(887).jpg

Screenshot-(888).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a particular kind of frame in mind?

If in ps7 you go to Window>Actions you can load a variety of Frames actions from the Actions palette flyout menu.

Screenshot-(859).jpg

what the different frames look like

Screenshot-(860).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. When I tried to download frames. I couldn't separate the frame from the white background from the website. One tutorial made it look easy. I'm attaching a photo of what I've been trying to do. I want to change the plain blue frame to maybe a wooden look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind your Photoshop is very old, and no tutorial made for modern Photoshop is going to work. A huge amount was added in the 20 years since your app was made. You will struggle to find Photoshop 7 tutorials on the web. Maybe use the printed manual that came with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what i did using your example:

1. Used the Rectangular Marquee Tool to make a selection of the White Area

(if the original is a solid color like white then you could use the Magic Wand Tool

to click on the white to select it)

fr1.jpg

2. Inversed the selection by going to Select>Inverse

fr2.jpg

3. Double click on the Background Layer to make it a regular layer and then add a layer mask by going to Layer>Add Layer Mask>Reveal All

(that gets rid of the white)

fr3.jpg

4. Added a layer style to mimic woodgrain by going to

Layer>Layer style>Blending Options, clicking on the word

Styles, then clicked the flyout menu, clicked Buttons and selected Woodgrain

fr4.jpg

5. Put a photo under the frame.

fr5.jpg

There are quite a few Frame actions to download here, that were made around the time of photoshop 7.

https://www.outdooreyes.com/actionsindex.php3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Not having much luck, see the attachment. I still can't get rid of the white inside the frame. There seems to be nothing inside the actions box. I can't see any frame styles in the layer styles flyout menu also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve747 

Please show a screenshot after you have done steps 1, 2, and 3 in Jeff's instructions.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I followed steps 1,2,3 and I did a sceenshot. As you see I made the frame by mistake and I can't figure out how to remove the blue in the middle to put an image in it.

Stevescreenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot it looks like you have a active selection around the frame part.

It would be easier to work with if you have your layers panel visible by going to Window>Layers.

Then double click on the Background Layer thumbnail in the layers panel to turn the Background layer to

a regular layer.

fr6.jpg

Then click on the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom of the layers panel to make the inside of the frame transparent

fr7.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, I'm sending another screenshot with the layer window open but not sure where to go from here to place apicture inside the frame

Stevescreenshot2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that how you got the frame with the layers already added?

If the frame was free, can you give a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I can't remember how I got the frame. I was just looking all over photoshop to figure out how to put a picture inside the frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you attach that file to the forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already on here in a previous post with some explanation but I still can't figure out how to put a picture in the frame which is saved on the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the actual layered psd file you have open in ps7 named frame.psd.

screenshot2a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I'm not very good with photoshop. I have just been clicking all over the place and seem to do things by accident. Where would I find the .psd file that you mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frame.psd file is probably in your downloads folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Is this what you're after?frame psd.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not a screenshot, but the actual file that you opened into photoshop 7 that you want to put a photo into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am unable to find the frame that I originally started with. I may have to somehow start again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download free picture frames on various sites. Here's one (or is there  reason you have to make it yourself?):

https://everyhdwallpapers.blogspot.com/2015/09/photoshop-frames-wallpapers-free.html 

ADOBE-FR.jpgADOBE-FRAMES.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in ps7 you go to File>Open Recent, is the file listed there?

Screenshot-(876).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. The original file is not in the recents view. I'll try the frame site you suggested but when I went to a site called frames.png I could save the frame but it also came with the white background and I couldn't separate the frame from the background. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve747 wrote:

I couldn't separate the frame from the background. 

Please tell us the steps you used (with screen shots) when you tried.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jane. I went to the website you suggested and I'm sending a screenshot. This is the problem I am having. I can't separate the frame from the white backgroundnice frame.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines