Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off automatic stroke to shapes?

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

For some reason my Photoshop has reset all it's presets and lost all my settings. 

Now, when I draw a shape, it adds an annoying black stroke to it. 

Is there a way to remove this stroke setting so shapes don't have a stroke by default?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Photoshop shapes remeber their last used settings, but you need to select the shape tool and set stroke and fill before you create your shape.  If you do this, then those settings will remain the next time you open Photoshop.

If you create a shape and change the fill and stroke afterwards, then Photoshop will not remember the changed settings.

Does that make sense?  Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop shapes remeber their last used settings, but you need to select the shape tool and set stroke and fill before you create your shape.  If you do this, then those settings will remain the next time you open Photoshop.

If you create a shape and change the fill and stroke afterwards, then Photoshop will not remember the changed settings.

Does that make sense?  Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

This is not happening. If I draw a shape, set the stroke to none, select another tool then go back to the shape tool the stroke is back to 1px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@toolman123 your response to Trevor seems to be what he was saying not to do. You mentioned drawing a shape first then setting the stroke. You don't want to do that. You need to make sure you're not on a shape layer, then set your stroke and other setting, then draw your shape. Is that what you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is wrong, PS DOES NOT REMEMBER THE LAST SETTING FOR STROKE.  Tell me how to default stroke to OFF! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RC Ducantlin, Here's what happens for me (Windows 10 Pro v21H2; Photoshop 23.4.1 Release):

If I apply a fill and stoke to a shape, and then draw a second shape, it will retain the settings of the first. However, if I change the fill and stroke settings of the second shape after I draw it, and then draw a third shape, the third will not retain the settings of the second shape. Fill and stroke revert to the settings of the first shape. I don't know if that is what you are experiencing or not. If you can demonstrate by video, that would help.

You can create a new tool preset from the Shapes toolbar if you want to keep the same settings. You can make as many presets as you want and apply them accordingly. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... a word salad response.  The answer is: You connect expect PS to correctly save settings and you cannot default Stroke to off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1px black stroke is always on by default. I too want to see it always off by default when drawing a shape. Turning off, then restarting Photoshop does not work. Doesn't work when creating a new document either. Need correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add that I am using Photoshop 2023. Turning off worked in older versions, but not v24.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I figured it out. To turn off the 1px black stroke by default, you have to turn the stroke off in the top toolbar panel, not the side shape properties window. Then, it's off when you create a new document or restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GINGALLEY great, thanks for coming back to share this with us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this only works when creating a new design. I select shape then I remove the stroke (but don't need to as my default doesn't have a stroke) from the selections at the top menu. I create my whole design with the same shape and do not change it. I save my file then when I reopen my design file the whole thing has a stroke on all the shapes. This is beyond frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly cannot say that I've had any issues since past several updates to PS. I'm currently running v24.6.0. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me insane as well. What ever I do it will not retain the no stroke setting. I have to manually turn if off each and every time. Vert frustrating Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONE of these solutions work.....what Workspace is required to pull up the Stroke options, HOW to get to the stroke options....sheesh, we all dont have the same workspaces ... someone give us a step by step guide on EXACTLY how to pull up the stroke option....THEN we can ater it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HOW to get to the stroke options....sheesh, we all dont have the same workspaces

By @errol3101909900hw

The Stroke options are in the options bar and in the Properties panel. All panels can be opened from the Window menu, including Options and Properties.

Select a Shape in the Tools panel to see the options for that particular shape.

If you don't see the stroke options, please tell us you Photoshop version so we can better assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree - and very true - Xtremely annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines