• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning a gradient layer into a layer style

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a multi-layer graphic, only to learn that the gradient layer on top that was adding color to my titles doesn't work when I import it into Media Composer. I've been told that I need to save it as a gradient style and apply it to each text layer, but I can't figure out how to save the gradient I created as a layer style. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I have the text broken up into separate layers so that I can animate them separately once I bring them into Media Composer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save gradient then go to Layer > Layer Style > Gradient Overlay and apply saved gradient. You can copy/paste style, actually layer effect, to other type layers, Alt + drag layer effect onto other type layers then release. Or right click > Copy Layer Style then right click > Paste Layer Style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should this work with a gradient that already exists as a layer? Because the option to "save layer style" is grayed out whether I go to the layer menu or control-click. After copying, "paste layer style" is also grayed out. I've tried it with both the gradient layer that is applied to the layers below, and a duplicated copy that has had the layer mask deleted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the layered image (feel free to remove the other elements)? 

I've been told that I need to save it as a gradient style and apply it to each text layer, 

Then the Gradient would be applied to each Type Layer individually, not on all of them together. 

But you could Group them and apply the Layer Style/s to the Group instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind sharing the whole document. Here you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the Alignment does not work as expected on Groups, so you may have to use a Shape Layer instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean. 

By @sharonf78065630

Have you looked at the screenshot and how the gradients relate to the type layers? 

If each line has the Gradient Overlay applied separately there is not one gradient over the whole of the text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to apply the layer style to each layer individually and rasterize them I think (I'm not experienced with this work flow). Media Composer doesn't recognize the effect when imported, unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to apply the layer style to each layer individually and rasterize them I think (I'm not experienced with this work flow). Media Composer doesn't recognize the effect when imported, unfortunately. 

By @sharonf78065630

I don’t know Media Compopser but applying the Gradient Overlay to each Layer will have a correspponding effect. 

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 15.43.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. But I can't figure out a way to use my existing gradient to accomplish that. It seems like I will have to create a new gradient, which I was hoping to avoid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have custom gradient you can save it, no need to recreate it if thats the problem. Take a look at screenshot below:

1. double click on gradient thumb
  2. click on gradient rectangle
  3. choose gradient group where to save
  4. give a name to gradient
  5. click on New to save gradient

create new gradient from existing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'm not sure why this didn't come up in any of my searches. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't save the postition of the gradient (the gradient I created is off-center). Is there a way to apply the same off-center gradient to individual layers? I tried copy-dragging, but that doesn't seem to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines