Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type Tool bug - does not allow multiple text lines

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2019-09-14 135225.jpg

When i enter text and hit return to create a second line the text entered after the line break does not show.  I know the text is accepted as entered as the layer name in the layers panel reflect this.

Similarly, if I create a new text box with plenty of room for several lines and fill it with “Lorem ipsum …” only one top line is shown.

I have not altered Preferences since this last worked

I’ve read about someone solving the same problem by going into preferences and set it all back to Default.  However, I hope not to have to do this as then I have to set up my PS from scratch, and I do not remember all the preference settings I have made over time.

Version CC 2019 20.0.06

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Hi Tom:

Jane has worked through all the obvious issues with you. My questions are:

• Is this happening in all new files, or just in this one?
  • Did you click in the text and then choose Select > All before selecting Reset Character and Reset Paragraph?
  • Would you like to share the file so that we can take a look? 

A note on the preferences: Photoshop saves your preferences when you shut down the application and reads those preferences when you reopen the program. With this much activity, files

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

What happens when your resize the text frame wider?

Can you show a screen shot with your insertion point in the text and the Paragraph panel open?

You might also Reset the Type tool in the options bar — right click the icon on the far left.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2019-09-14 140400.jpg

Hi Jane. Thanks for the quick reply! I have taken a screenshot as requested, but have to see how I can attach it to this reply. Have also tried "Reset Type Tool" to no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see an option to add a screenshot jpg file anywhere???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the big blue button on your first post instead of the small black Reply to my answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I think I managed. Can you see my screenshots now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to answer the resize questions. I can resize the text frame wider and it will allow more words to show on the first line, but no more lines show..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, no worries, as I saw that. When the Type tool is reset, Hyphenation should have come back on, and it didn’t, so try that again. Since you can see it with resizing the frame, the text is there and something is blocking it from showing. I am not in my office and don’t have access to PS right now, but try this: select the text and look for the No Break setting. I think it’s in the menu for the Character panel. Resetting the tool should have fixed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset the Type tool again, and the "Hyphanate" box remains unticked in the Paragraph panel. Then I tried the "NO Break" in the Caracter Panel. This made even the first line of the text dissapear from view, so I turned it back. From the same menu I also tried "Reset Caracter" as well as "Reset Paragraph" in the Paragraph panel, unfortunaltely to no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it’s a toggle, and it sounds like you turned it on first, then off again. Try quitting PS, restarting, and trying again in a new document. I know you don’t want to reset Preferences, but that would probably work.

EDAEA9D3-C1DC-4E17-843C-DB8D405F5968.png

Resetting the Type tool should also have reset the Typeface and size, but it didn’t. Try resetting it after quitting and relaunching. It looks like you are on Mac — what exact OSX?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom:

Jane has worked through all the obvious issues with you. My questions are:

• Is this happening in all new files, or just in this one?
  • Did you click in the text and then choose Select > All before selecting Reset Character and Reset Paragraph?
  • Would you like to share the file so that we can take a look? 

A note on the preferences: Photoshop saves your preferences when you shut down the application and reads those preferences when you reopen the program. With this much activity, files can become corrupt over time. When the application begins to misbehave, deleting it and allowing Photoshop to recreate the preference file will resolve erratic behavior issues. When you are ready to give it a shot, first save any custom brushes, tool presets, workspace, etc. 

PS delete prefs.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. The problem applied to all new files. However your tip ensuring all text was selected when Reset Caracter did the trick! Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news, Tom. Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines