• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Activate Photoshop CS2 and CS3.

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both programs are installed on my new laptop.  I deactivated years ago when I had my desktop computer.  The phone numbers listed on the activation page of both programs do not work.  I try to activate directly from the programs on the internet, it says servers not working, try later. I tried later, same answer.  How is it possible to activate these old Photoshop CS 2 and 3.  I would think the license would be expired by now, they are really old, 2008 I think I purchased them and had no problem activation.  It appears the activation keys are valid on both programs, they want an Authorization Code either by internet or phone a phone call to get this, neither works for me.  Any help on how to reach Adobe Customer Service or Tech support to help me activate these.What is the email address for Adobe's Customer Service?​ !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Update:

Neither CS2 nor CS3 can be activated any more. Those old activation servers were retired years ago. There’s no activation process in existence for those versions.

--- Previous reply ---

The steps now:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links for CS2 and CS3 have been retired. Both products are dead and can no longer be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that. I gather it is the same for CS6--is that true?

That is a severely unethical business practice, and probably illegal.  It is also just plain bizarre.

I am pretty darn sure that there was nothing like a Terms of Use or End User agreement where we agreed that products we purchased (for quite a lot of money) might become "dead and can no longer be used."

Besides the fact that the old product more than met my needs and I don't feel like learning the newer CC versions, the new products are prohibitively expensive.

I suppose the good news is that Adobe's business decision has inspired and created an entire new ecosystem of similar products, based on the "not subscription-based model."  "Not subscription-based" is an entirely new niche of software development imspired by Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I gather it is the same for CS6.

No. CS4, CS5 and CS6 can still be activated and used. Adobe Customer Service still provides activation support for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you John! And I apologize for my grouchiness.

May I tell you a story?  I spent years using Photoshop 6.0 just to put photographs and drawings and graphs and data into one publishable JPEG.  Scientific journals are picky about how many "figures" you include for publication.  Eventually I figured out: "I don't have to use Photoshop just for science!  I was a painter before I became a scientist. I can use this software for artistic purposes and also to make my baby pictures look better!"

I was annoyed when I had to learn Photoshop 7.0 after years of enjoying Photoshop 6.0.  What sold me on CS3 is that it speeded up the making of vast composite images; I have to do that in my line of work, which is biomedical research.

You wrote: "CS4, CS5 and CS6 can still be activated and used."

If that is true, it would be very good news and I will take back some of my criticism of Adobe and try to take advantage of it, even though I dislike learning new versions of software that already worked for me.

I will try out CS6, instead of a third party product, because, like I said, I dislike learning new software."

There is a risk that I might get hungry for features in the CC versions.

If I need to ever use he more advanced versions for work, I'll just make my employer pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>I will try out CS6

Your newfound optimism may be premature. Be aware that all non-Cloud versions of Photoshop (CS6 and earlier) are also end of life, dead versions. Adobe no longer sells them or updates them.

Adobe only offers support to existing customers who already own CS4-CS6: that support is only for re-downloading, reinstalling and activation issues. That's it.

Everyone else has to get a Cloud subscription for Photoshop or buy Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes me sad, for several reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate. I used it to download CS2 to a new computer just before Christmas. It solved my problem and the product I ended up getting was CS3. It really is cheeky that Adobe has made it so that you can't use these older versions on a new computer!! It might be old software but it was BOUGHT AND PAID FOR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>gather it is the same for CS6

For CS6 and earlier you may download ONLY if you bought direct from Adobe via download
-Log-in to your account and click this link https://account.adobe.com/products
--click Order history on the left and then the link to your order that will show on the right
--and finally click the link "Downloads and serial numbers" that will appear
--as always, write the serial number in a text file AND copy that text file and the
---download file(s) to an external drive (or two) to be sure you have what you need
-if you did not buy direct from Adobe via download you must find your original install
--if you have an Education or volume license you MUST use your original media
--the link for an Education or volume license download is not available at all
-if you bought a disc and don't have a drive you will need to buy an external USB drive
-if you bought a download from a 3rd party vendor you will need to contact that vendor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly and hard working John,

John, you wrote: "For CS6 and earlier you may download ONLY if you bought direct from Adobe via download. "

As I have explained, people of my generations buy discs, not downloads, and that is all we are probably every going to buy.

If you know a legitimate way I can try CS6, please tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> If you know a legitimate way I can try CS6, please tell.

There is none. Software is download only these days. Makes no sense for software vendors to ship discs in these days of high speed broadband.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the utility of downloading software.  It is the business sense of  large company like Adobe saying "you flushed your $900.00 down the toilet, ha ha ha" that I see problems with. I wished you has asked me.

I mean, the last time something like this happened, the Department of Defense said to heck with that and developed and released their own slightly superiror version of the commercial software, which everyone now uses, because it is free.

I have spent more than ten years trying to convince government agencies to go back to the commercial version, which I like better, because it's "nicer" and "prettier." But everyone says "no," because of budgets.

Oh well, I guess I ought to fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether we like it or not, more and more software companies are moving to subscription. For Photoshop a Photography plan subscription  is cheaper than it would have been to buy the perpetual software and its updates.

CS6 which is now 8 versions old, has not been sold for a long time. Beware those that still claim to sell it. They are selling illegal hacked versions, with associated risks of malware etc.

As far as the old CS versions, Adobe has withdrawn support. The software still works, Adobe does not turn your software off. But your software runs the risk of not working if you ever upgrade your hardware or operating system. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm, this is not true.
You wrote "The software still works, Adobe does not turn your software off. But your software runs the risk of not working if you ever upgrade your hardware or operating system."

Some people still uses Windows XP or Vista (system requirements for CS3 are meet) but cannot install CS3 after HDD crash or after reinstallation of operating system because Adobe disabled activation server. And without connection to this server they CANNOT USE application for which THEY PAID few years ago for Adobe. Adobe gave for short time possibility to download special installer with special serial number to offlince activate CS3 but drop the page in December or January and leaves people with invoices and non working software. I repeat - PAID software with PERPETUAL license cannot be use because ADOBE DISABLED one important component of the licensing process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep and that is NONSENSE! I was lucky. I was able to use the new activation fix in December before it was taken down. This software was not cheap to buy outright when we did and for Adobe to take away the ability to continue to use it is almost like a theft of property!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As I have explained, people of my generations buy discs, not downloads, and that is all we are probably every going to buy."

You didn't say what generation you are, but my aunt moved to the Creative Cloud version of Photoshop in 2014 at the age of 93.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is true. In the circumstance you describe, Adobe did not stop the application from working.  Working backups should still work fine if they restore the system back in time.

However support for a reactivation has been withdrawn by Adobe.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• This is [removed by moderator] I got a new laptop for Christmas and stopped using my old slow desktop, which had Adobe CS3 working on it no issues once so ever.  I installed it on my laptop only to have actiavation issues.  Wow Adode I would think this is so different then  fraud, we have bought the program and have activation codes and yet we are unable to continue using our paid for program? All just becuase Adobe decided that they werent making enought money off of people that purchased their program years ago and enjoyed using it so much that they wouldnt purchase another version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and why do I have to suddenly activate it??? it has been installed and activated on this laptop for like 6-7 years and all of a sudden it's asking to activate the unavailable activation... nice move Adobe. I have been using your products since Aldus Freehand went under a million years ago and now this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it has been installed and activated on this laptop for like 6-7 years

By @littlmrnofear

The activation servers for CS2 were shut down thirteen years ago in 2012. Where did you purchase your copy 6-7 years ago? Legal copies were no longer being sold by then.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I wish someone would mount a class action suit against them.

What Adobe has done is theft... I paid for a product and they stole it back.

William Kizer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines