• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Create a New Document or Save a Document, Starting 20211026

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting today 20211026 Photoshop is failing silently when trying to perform core operations such as:

- Create a new document
- Save a document in PSD format

In both cases, which are enough to make the product completely useless to me, there are no dialog boxes, errors, or any other visual or audible hint that something has gone wrong. The photoshop interface in either attempt then does things like:

- Dialog buttons change if they normally would on mouseover
- Trying to use such buttons does nothing, nor does it give any errors/dialogs/sounds
- In the very top of the interface, all menus can be opened, however ALL entries are greyed out
- The interface cannot be closed with file -> exit (because it is greyed out), alt-f4 does not quit, nor does right clicking on the task bar and choosing close

The only way to exit photoshop at this point is to use the task manager to end it.

I have lost numerous hours trying to see if it was anything with my system or my network, and have come up with nothing on my side.

I checked this list which was interestingly updated TODAY (20211026), the same day I started experiencing problems:

https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/network-endpoints.html

Network security engineering is my career, so I was able to check and make sure that any DNS requests for anything on that list is: 1) Getting to a DNS server 2) Getting an answer from that DNS server 3) This answer is a valid IP 4) While I did not check ALL of the IPs as there are so many, I spot checked some to see if in fact there was established traffic at that time to/from them, and there is

I do not see anything on my side that is causing this however I do see a change on the adobe side on the same day. I'm currently at a loss, and currently unable to use a product that I am paying for.

Please find attached the system information from photoshop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

As a big hammer, if you restore your preferences using this manual method does it work correctly?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite following what you think changed today? It looks like you're running a version that is a couple versions old based on the system info. 22.5.2 is the latest version of Photoshop 2021. Photoshop v23.0.0 (2022) came out today.

Have you restarted the computer after any updates that were made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble. Can you access the preferences dialog or is that command grayed out as well? You're system info shows that you have an older dot release, 22.5.0, but I don't know of a reason for that to be causing your issue. Adobe did start to release a new major Ps version today which required end point updates for new features, but again shouldn't have any known impact on what you're seeing with 22.5.0.

Did you update the OS or any other software today?

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thank you for your fast reply!

I noticed the network endpoint changes on the same day, but I can't correlate anything else. No updates were made, however, I did reboot as a matter of sound troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the speedy response.

As long as I do not try to open a new document or save a PSD, I can access the preferences dialog. Is there something you'd like me to look at?

Thanks for the feedback regarding the endpoints, that is good to know.

I didn't know there was a new photoshop released, I'll hold off on installing that. I have not performed any OS updates, nor have I installed any other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes can you turn Off the Auto show Home Screen option, and turn on the Use Legacy "New Document" Interface option, then restart Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a big hammer, if you restore your preferences using this manual method does it work correctly?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very interesting! I'm now able to create new documents again. This is curious, I never messed with either option.

Perhaps it's a different issue, however I did try to save as PSD and the behavior remains the same as described, and photoshop needs to be killed off with task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, now try Jeff's suggestion please.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have performed this, and the new style (Create New) button brings up the dialog as expected. In addition, I am now able to save PSD files again! As far as I'm concerned, the issue is resolved.

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,
Glad to hear you are back up and running.

Here's the post for the major update as well: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-0-amp-photoshop-on-the-i...

cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines