• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to switch between tools in tool palette

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I select the Hand tool in the tools paletter I am unable to select any other tool. I click on, say the Brush tool but the Hand tool will not switch. I'm brand new to PS CC 2024 but have worked with 5 other (older) version of PS for 20 years. Have never encountered such a problem. Hope someone can help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to switch between tools freely by selecting another tool. You should also be able to select a tool, such as the Brush tool, and temporarily invoke the Hand tool by pressing the Spacebar.  

If neither of those are working, you could try resetting Photoshop's preferences. And if that doesn't work, then try uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AppleAddict001 Go to your Keyboard Viewer - and click the space bar in the virtual keyboard multiple times with the cursor (not the actual space bar key). It will release the hand tool. We've seen this extensively on our Macs both in PS and AI. Something to do with Ventura/Sonoma.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1015/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right - I "should be able to switch between tools freely by selecting another tool". The problem is, I am unable to do this. Photoshop would not allow this operation to be executed. It seemed to be frozen in or on or with, the Hand Tool. When I clicked on another tool, for instance, the Brush Tool or even the Selection Tool although that icon would darken as if I were involking these other tools but when I moved my cursor back, it remained locked in the Hand tool. No, I can safely say this is not a problem with my keyboard. Either something's very wrong with, Photoshop or my operating system or maybe even my computer (an iMac 27" Retina 2020, running Mac OS Sonoma. I suppose all this has become a moot point, because I cancelled my subscription (3 days after buying an annual subscription)! Adobe will credit me - no problem there but meanwhile, I am back to my "old" 2015 iMac using PSCS 6. I do sincerely appreciate your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Kevin stohmeyer - Kindly view my reply initially meant for Myna Ferguson. I appreciate your rely and input but this is now a moot issue. I sadly cancelled my subscription. I will say, however, since buying this 2020 iMac (used, with a 30 day warranty), which came to me with Ventura installed, I can honestly say; Mac OS Ventura and Sonoma are the absolute worst operating systems that Apple has ever in the course of being an Apple computer user for 36 years, that I have ever experienced! So when you mention "Ventura/Sonoma", I cringe.  Btw - Have you ever encountered concerning certain fonts not being available even though you know this certain font is installed? (Another Ventura/Sonoma bug!)  About halfway down in the thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254682290?sortBy=best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AppleAddict001 I don't have issues with fonts because I use a font management solution like Extensis, not relying on the Mac Fontbook application. It's too pedestrian for professional use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyerRegarding your suggested "possible" solution to this problem (Re: clicking the space bar on the Kyeboard viewer) is this something you have do repeatedly? Is this a permanent fix or merely a temporary fix?  In other words does the problem repeat itself over & over again, requireing you to repeat the process over & over again? If the latter, this in no real solution - its more like putting a bandaid in a gushing wound. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For our users its happened to two different users out of ~160 and both have not reported issues since doing the virtual keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines