• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected results using fx on multiple layers

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating photo frame mockups I ran into a problem. I'm applying fx on a number of layers to build up the desired effect but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong with the 3rd layer and can't see fx from the 2nd layer underneath...

Here are the layers starting from the bottom:
Images below

Background colour 

Layer 1 - artwork includes a white border added to the canvas and no fx
Layer 2 - White window mount (Mat / Passe-partout) created with a thick stroke to cover the below white border and fx applied to create depth using inner shadow - more obvious down the right side of the picture

Layer 3 - fx to add the frame: stroke, bevel & emboss, inner and outer shadows

Layer 3 is where it all goes wrong - it appears to be showing the image from the smartobject file and doesn't show fx applied in Layer 2. I've tested with an fx on layer 1 and this shows when layer 2 is visible but no fx from lower layers shows through when layer 3 is enabled.

Each layer is a copy of Layer 1 (smart object) and I'm using latest PS CC update

My photoshop experience has been for landscape photo edits. I'm no expert with the rest of PS! TIA

Layer 1.jpgLayer 2.jpgLayer 3.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks for the suggestion - you've pointed me in the right direction. The fill was set to 100% on layer 3 and 0% on Layer 2 - that's why fx were showing through from layer 1 to layer 2 but not layer 3. I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide the file or at least post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Each layer is a copy of Layer 1 (smart object) and I'm using latest PS CC update

So wouldn’t they by definition cover the underlying Layer/s? 

Or are they set to Fill 0% or …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion - you've pointed me in the right direction. The fill was set to 100% on layer 3 and 0% on Layer 2 - that's why fx were showing through from layer 1 to layer 2 but not layer 3. I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines