Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unify mask position

Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way to unify layerset mask position across timeline frames?

Sometimes if I modify a vector mask on a frame the other frames remaining in the old and bad masked state.

If I select a layerSet the "Unify Layer Position" get dimmed, which makes sense but what is up with it's mask?

unify.png

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many thing in Photoshop I do not know exist I may even have seen the unify icon you show unify.png but it never registered in my brain. I see a link icon under the pin icon.  So it the thing you show is a button I have never used it.  However, I have use layer masks creating animated gif and  use the layer mask link icon to un-link the mask with the layers content.  So the mask would be applied to the frame while Photoshop moved  the layers content in the gif frames composite.  Here a create two layers and Mask the upper layer for the lower layer content.  So I did not want the layer mask to be relative to the current layers content rather I wanted it to be relative to the lower layer content.  That may seem strange to .   I wanted to be able to move the layers content and have Photoshop mask the content to merge with the lower content the way I wanted it to be composited.  I use the Create frame animation button to create the frame animation panel and the first frame.  I created a second frame and moved the upper layer content position in that frame. I then used Photoshop Tween feature to generate frame between the two frame I had.  I do not know it this has any bearing on what  your writing the LINK icon made me write this.

Here is what I did.

Capture.jpgCloudLogo2.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You JJMack for Your answer!

This is a screenshot about my problem. On the top ( 1st frame ) the shape mask is moved to the right, below moved to left, clipping a layerSet with 2 layers in it.
vectorMask.png

Would be nice to be able to unify the mask's position throughout the timeline animation. I am using the timeline only like a mini storyboard to switch layers on and off and when I accidentally export my ad on the wrong frame ( layer is turned off with a misplaced mask ) the result is not what I wanted.

I can't find a button or menu item to do this and record the AM code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are trying to do I believe. However, what your doing will not work the way I believe you want the animation to work.  If you were to use tween to generate frame between the two you have the animation would look like you have some sort of viewing devise your moving over an invisible image that reviles the image section under the viewer device area.

If you were to duplicate the bottom smart object layer and move the duped layer outside of the layer group and position it to the bottom of the stack. And changed the layer group blending mode to screen.   In the animation you would see the image scaned with a highlighter moving across it.   If you leave it blending mode normal and scaled up the two layers in it up in size the animation will look like the image is being scanned with a magnifier.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer, I order you to set the vector mask position to the same, on every timeline frame, of the clicked layerSet!

This is my imaginary command, the ultimate .jsx code which could save me from exporting odd shaped assets.

Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have no Idea of how you Imaginary script process export shape assets custom shapes or image file animated of not.

In your screen capture i you did not intentionally manually move the vector mask shown on the Layer group.  What was moved by you?  If you do not want the vector mask  on the group make sure it is not linked to something.  UN Link the mask like I showed in my screen capture. Delete frame 2. Click on the vector mask link icon toe remove it the create frame 2.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks JJMack for Your time and effort to answer my question.

I am pretty sure now, what I need is not possible in PS.

I Intentionally and manually change the shape mask's location with the pen tool, lets say on frame 2. And I am expecting it to move to the same position on frame1. I can't delete and recreate frame1 because it is carefully built from layer visibilities, in many cases from serveral dozens of layers.

This red bordered link button doesn't seems to do anything when the vector mask shape is moved.

I am sure now, I have to build an own HTML "Storyboard" panel to fulfill my extension's special requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines