Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsharp on new iMac Retina Display

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've got a new iMac last week and now all my files seem to be unsharp.

Through google I found out that it probably has to do with the Retina Display.

I basically design for my web, so I am confused when everything seems to be unsharp.

Which solutions do I have to fix this problem? 

I saw I could scale down the monitor settings, but I guess that's the least one to do.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

"I saw I could scale down the monitor settings"

Actually that's what all your Mac native applications do when they detect a high-resolution display, including Safari. Your images are scaled so that one image pixel is represented by four screen pixels.

It's a workaround, but it's the industry-accepted one, and the only way to ensure that all images can be displayed on all devices and screens.

Photoshop can't do that. It has to be absolutely accurate - it's used by a lot more people than web

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Does the files look sharp outside of Photoshop?

Have you tried lowering the screen resolution and see if the files look sharper then?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

thank you for trying to help.

I tried already lowering the screen resolution, but I cant work like that 

in general everything looks normal

but when I open Photoshop all files look 100% smaller now , 100% is sharp, but then when I zoom in to 200%, so I have the size I am used to work with, everything is unsharp of course and therefore I don't know how to work

I have this problem only in Photoshop so far, using the same version as before, just the iMac changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the images at 100% to see how the resolution of these images will appear on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah they are sharp at photoshop, but not when I try to implent it in my website for example as a banner

therefore I never know if its really unsharp or just my retina display shows it unsharp (at least I think it has to do with retina)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I saw I could scale down the monitor settings"

Actually that's what all your Mac native applications do when they detect a high-resolution display, including Safari. Your images are scaled so that one image pixel is represented by four screen pixels.

It's a workaround, but it's the industry-accepted one, and the only way to ensure that all images can be displayed on all devices and screens.

Photoshop can't do that. It has to be absolutely accurate - it's used by a lot more people than web designers. But you can do the same thing in Photoshop with View > 200%. Then it will match Safari because they're doing exactly the same thing to the image pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> yeah they are sharp at photoshop, but not when I try to implent it in my website for example as a banner

In order to display images sharp on retina displays you need to prepare them @2x size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines