• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

use the pen tool to add to an existing mask

Participant ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have most of the already I just need to usel pen to make a perfectly straight line and add that to the mask. Every time I use the pen tool it makes a new shape on a new layer or it does absolutely nothing just has a blue outline. What am am I doing wrong and why does it gonna be made this program so incredibly difficult to use?Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 12.32.38 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Vector Mask? Position the Pen over the path; the cursor should have a small plus sign next to it. Click to add a new point. Also, be sure that you have the vector mask selected in the Paths panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 12.57.38 PM.pngThank you for your response, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I need to use the Pen tool to ad to analredy exsisting mask.

If you look at this image here, you'll see a black triangle on the right side of the image and basically the idea is I would use the Pental to add a shape just like that to the already existing mask. No matter which I use path or shape on the Pental. It doesn't add anything to the mask and sometimes it doesn't even add anything.

Also, just for your information, maybe it's not difficult for you, but I've been using Photoshop for years and what you suggested is objectively and demonstrably far more difficult than just using the Pental and clicking the corners or angles of the mask you want to makemaybe it's not difficult for you, but I've been using Photoshop for years and. Either way, not trying to be a smart ass. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that my original post wasn't what you were asking, and your reply happened while I was revising it.  In addition to the revision, I would add, make sure Auto Add/Delete is checked in the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with adobe technical support for them to tell me you have to make a shape then right click "fill shape" then you have to delete the shape. God knows why you can't just make the shape in the first place and you have to do the four extra steps but there it is thank you for your help, and I hope whoever is making these programmatic decisions has a terrible terrible life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what a vector mask is it's just a regular mask. I clicked the mask button and then started painting. Realize that it was gonna be super difficult to get the mask right so I thought I could just use the pen tool I don't know what a vector mask is it's just a regular mask. I clicked the mask button and then started painting. Realize that it was gonna be super difficult to get the mask right so I thought I could just use the pen tool like the show you online and in school but when I do it either get a shape on a new layer or just a blue outline.

All the tutorials and teachers and everyone online say Black hides and White will reveal, but that's obviously not the case here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have an existing Layer Mask, and you wish to add to it with the Pen, set the Pen to make a plain path. Click on Make: Selection in the Options bar. With the Layer Mask selected in the Channels panel, fill with white, and de-select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines