• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Auto Levels on a Smart Object

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently noticed I can apply Auto Tone to Smart Objects, but I don't see any way to edit or retract the effect after it's applied. This seems odd for an otherwise non-destructively editable smart object. I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks for any helpful info!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Thank you. It can also be done by applying a Levels smart filter.

I initially found the effects were very different: applying Auto Tone, versus clicking Auto within the Levels dialog box. After experimenting, it seems I can choose (in the Levels dialog box) the Auto Options... and select "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" to more closely match the Auto Tone effect.

I find Auto Tone a good starting point but find it often goes to far, so this will allow me to apply it and then made tweaks to what it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all operations you perform on Smart Objects are non-destructive. There's a list of the ones that are non-destructive here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Image>Adjustments>Levels, that seems to reset or undo any of the Image>Auto Tone, Contast or Color adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good to know, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply the Auto Tone non-destructively by creating a Levels or Curves adjustment layer. Click the “Auto” button . to change options, Alt or Option click the “Auto” button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. It can also be done by applying a Levels smart filter.

I initially found the effects were very different: applying Auto Tone, versus clicking Auto within the Levels dialog box. After experimenting, it seems I can choose (in the Levels dialog box) the Auto Options... and select "Enhance Per Channel Contrast" to more closely match the Auto Tone effect.

I find Auto Tone a good starting point but find it often goes to far, so this will allow me to apply it and then made tweaks to what it has done to the Levels settings, or (when doing it via an Adjustment Layer) backing it off by reducing the layer opacity to the right blend.

Thanks for the help, I've found what works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines