• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Photo Restoration on old scanned pictures of cats.

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can get a level of improvement, I still see a lot of artifacts. Some times it looks like half tone pattern and other times it is horizontal lines through the image. I've been playing with different things and can clean it up to a degree but am not seeing the improvement I would have expected using the neural filter.

I've been able to go through the following progression of Milord o Mendip but I was expecting more cleanup of the scratches and horizontal lines in the photos. Colorize just gave me a brownish tone to the lighter areas of the image. I tried Color Transfer to move the colors of the Blue MC (yes in cat world we call that color grey blue) to the Milord o Mendip image but it didn't do anything except give the entire image a very patchy yellowish green cast. I know I can put a different background in manually but I really need the color of the MC coat to transfer to the Milord image. Am I doing something wrong with the neural filter? Or is there a different approach I should be taking? For anyone who cares, DeepAI doesn't do any better with colorizing the image.

I have a slightly different issue with another image where it looks like a halftone pattern that I would have expected Photo Restoration to remove. Again I have made big improvements to the image but would like to do more with it. Any suggestions gratefully received.

default4s45zkpropds_1-1707709735599.png

default4s45zkpropds_2-1707709803442.png

default4s45zkpropds_0-1707709242428.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For a restoration, I would recommend starting with a higher resolution image if possible. These appear to really small.

To remove the halftone pattern, I would recommend first converting the image to a smart object (Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object) in order to apply any filter as a smart filter which will let you make adjustments.

Then go to Filter > Neural Filters and select Photo Restoration. Use the Photo enhancement slider to see how much it can improve the image.

Then open the Adjustments below the Photo enhancement and Scratch reduction sliders. From there you an access the Halftone artifacts reduction slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines