• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector Shape and Smart Object

Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't SO (Smart Object) support shape resizing?

I have designed an icon (180 px). I changed its scale (2x) and also its effects. This operation changed the shape's corner radius too. I converted the icon (all shapes with its effects) to SM, then changed its size (2x), the corner radius and effects are as the original, but the vector/shape data changed (rasterized) and have jagged edges. 

What should I do to preserve the vector/shape data (corner radius and sharp edges) and its effects when I resize its size?!

ss.png

 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

With less small values in the Bevel & Emboss Layer Style the difference pretty much disappears. (left the original size, right 400% upsampled)

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 14.34.19.png

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 14.34.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TenTin - Im not seeing the same behavior you are describing.

Here is how I built my sample:

1. Each piece is a vector shape with effects in separate layers (bevel and emboss on large piece, drop shadow on the buttons).

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1679344921270.png

2. Select all and convert to Smart Object.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1679344941944.png

3. Transform and the object maintains scale on both effects and shapes.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1679344973824.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Wondering!!

SmartObjectResize.png

 

Is your photoshop from Andromeda? Mine is from the Milky Way! 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commit changes then take screenshot,  I see checkmark in the Options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is viewing percentage when you see jadged edges? Judge only at 100% view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to give us a detailed step by step of your workflow, otherwise we can only assume you are using the right steps when you might not be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this enough?!

s2.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in transform mode which is designed for speed not quality. While scaling in free transform mode it will quickly render preview and thats what you see. Commit changes using checkmark in the Options bar or using Enter/Return. Ensure that you are in 100% view then judge and take screenshot to showcase result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commit changes! 🙄

s3.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reseting preferences Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O Please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the Smart Object and upsampling that (Image > Image Size). 

Are the corner radii scaled? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is not enough I can share the PSD! The PSD has nothing but 3 shapes (with 3 Effects) and one "Solid Color Adjustment Layer".

v1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And again: Please provide the image for testing. 

So upsampling scales the corner radius correctly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! All things go well by "Image Size" method!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody else is experiencing that issue, its on your machine only, try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting any layer/s to a Smart Object creates a Smart Object as a psb. 

psb is a pixel image format. 

Either keep the Shape Layers as Shape Layers (and amend the corner radii manually [edit: also Layer Styles, if necessary]) or create the Smart Object at the largest necessary size (but keep in mind that downsampling may also result in some unwanted artefacts). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the image for testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the PSD (Attachment) ... 😴

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Layer Styles seem to numerically scale fine, too, but the ones that are originally 1px seem to look different after scaling, even though they are at 4px. 

Try »Create Layers« before resampling. 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 10.10.11.pngScreenshot 2023-03-21 at 10.10.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nonsense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Care to elaborate? 

Edit: The left image is the original at 400% zoom, the middle image is the result of plain upsampling, the right one with the Layer Styles converted to Layers before upsampling. 

It seems to me that the Bevel in plain upsampling appears less pronounced. 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 11.26.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offence, I mean it's nonsense that the SO doesn't preserve the Vector data! What is the purpose of the SO!? I think its name has to be changed to "Smart Group"! 

About your SS, Yes! The middle one ("Image Resize") just preserves the radius, not the effect. I don't understand why Ps doesn't scale the effects/styles, even if the "Scale Styles" is checked! 

The right image (make layers from styles/effects) is a nonsense method! Why do we have to convert all layer styles to layers (!!) just for a simple upscale!?

Why doesn't Photoshop have such behaviour with Vector shapes imported from the Ai?! 🤔

ai.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offence, I mean it's nonsense that the SO doesn't preserve the Vector data! What is the purpose of the SO!? 

• psb Smart Objects (naturally also placed Smart Objects in other pixel file formats like tif, jpg, …) are pixel data; upscaling them upsamples pixels, plain and simple. 

The advantages of Smart Objects (non-destructive transformations, multiple instances, non-destructive Smart Filters, …) are nontheless real

• vector Smart Objects are essentially pdf and can therefore contain vector data, scaling them utilizes the vector data – but each instance is still pixel data. 

The middle one ("Image Resize") just preserves the radius, not the effect. 

That is not quite correct. 

The Layer Styles are scaled – just compare the settings, the setting that was formerly 1px is now 4px. 

It seems the problem is »small numbers« – try the Bevels at Depth 50% and Size 2px instead of Depth 1% and Size 1px. (I suppose you could compensate the Depth with the Opacity.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines