Exit

Video file not opening in Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, since updating to Photoshop 2020, I can't open a video file 😕

Getting an error messsage: 

Could not open “filename.mp4” because the video file could not be opened.

Getting on my nerves a little bit, updated to the lastest version, I am on Catalina 🙂 I have tried a few different other video files, same errror and can't seem to find a fix 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

This happened to me. Restarting my Mac worked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Solved!

Amazing that this was the problem. I had installed the Insta 360 software a few years ago, and have never even used PS to edit those files. Unreal, I'm honestly going to reach out to Insta to let them know about this issue.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Alright, 2 years have passed, but looks like updating my Mac to Monterey & Photoshop to Photoshop 2022 seems to have the glitch fixed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 110 Replies 110
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the issue with Photoshop 2020 while trying to open video files.

You can add Photoshop 2020 to the Accessibility list for macOS by going to the System Preferences, then Security and Privacy and then selecting the Privacy tab. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Files and folders, then restart the computer.

Are the videos saved on the computers local storage or an external drive? You can also try resetting the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned in the link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preferences.html

You may want to backup your brushes, actions, etc. before resetting the preferences. You can check the details mentioned in the link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem with PS. I've been making gifs the same way for years and am getting the same error: "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nada, resetet everything and still same error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is an obvious bug. I'm seeing people on the net with the same problem. I have a feeling they're trying to get people to use Premier since they now have an "export to gif" option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went step by step and this still isnt working. Any update on when this may be repaired?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still doesnt work. Im using Catalina thats up to date and I followed the videos step by step to fix this. Any idea on a new patch timeline

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about for PC's? this is really irritating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having this same problem but with PC and I got a project due today>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working!!!

Is there any solution to this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround - found an old downloader from an external site with Photoshop CC2018 on there, reluctant to post in case Adobe stop it but you can google it and should be fine or DM me with your email and I will send it to you - using that in conjuction with Mojave worked great. So we have progressed 1 OS and 1, now 2 Photoshop CC iterations and this functionality no longer works. Well done Adobe and Apple. Once again, your corporate nonsense hurts the people who use your products. 

Ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the programme freezes everytime I try to render a video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same error. "Could not open "IMG_*****.MOV" because the video file could not be opened".

Tried above suggestion on preferences to no avail.

I updated Photoshop to version 22.0.0.35 and Bridge 11.0, I went as far as removing previous versions via the CC updater. No luck. The video plays fine with VLC or via Facebook on my mobile device. I also changed the default application for opening MPEG-4 files to Photoshop 2021. The video is MPEG-4 (QuickTime) 1920*1080 (16:9) recorded on an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I am running a Windows PC. Intel Core 17-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz. 32.0 GB RAM. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 18363.1139. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Driver veresion 456.71

Any updates on this issue or suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey have you found any answers to this? I noticed your the most recent post as of a week ago. I was always able to edit videos in Photoshop up until it updated to 2021 yesterday now none of my versions work and I went as far back as 2019 to try and upload .mov or .mp4 files both which play fine everywhere else besides photoshop.

Let me know if you found anything within this past week ~ thank you ~ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC Solution- Windows 10... browse to the Photoshop.exe files location. Right click on the file then select the option of "Run as Administrator " and click on Ok. This solved the problem for me. I can now open videos with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have another solution for the problem of video in PS cause I have all the authorization and didn't work ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the video files still open in other apps just fine? Programs like Quicktime, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to this already? 2020 and still can't find any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no solution, had to rerender entire video as an image sequence and exported them in PS, then exported as .gif from there. Adobe has to fix this, took me two hours before deciding on this turn around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 30 2020 and still no solution. Please adobe fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here since updating to Catalina and PS2020. When attempting to open up a video file in Photoshop the progress bar gets about 75% of the way and gradually slows down to a halt never actually openning up the file. In previous versions this only took several seconds.

Adding Photoshop to Accessibility and File / Folders Privacy settings didn't solve the issue.

Currently runing 10.15.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of June 23 - this is still an issue with the latest update of all the apps. Same exact results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All day spent trying to resolve this.. Photoshop 2019, 2020, mac os catalina, mojave. Works on my cintiq tablet so something between apple and adobe. Also worked fine late last year. Can we not have access to CC2018 and try that? Or earlier versions? This is painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone resolved this? My photoshop just updated to 2021 and I can no longer import video what is the solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines