• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

visible brush strokes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello there... i would like to create a brush stroke effect on an already existing digital painting. I would like to have it like an overlay effect with the texture of the brush strokes, but without smearing the actual digital painting too much. i attached an example of the effect below. is that somehow possible in Photoshop ?Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 15.56.30.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the texture image as a displacement map for the brush strokes. Here's how:

1. Save the texture as a PSD
  2. Draw your brush strokes on your image
  3. Convert the brush strokes layer to a Smart Object to apply the displacement non-destructively (right-click and select Convert to Smart Object)
  4. With the Smart Object selected, go to Filter > Distort > Displace
  5. Use or modify the default settings and click OK
  6. (The Choose a displacement map window will open) Navigate to the PSD file of the texture and click Open

Here's more information about displacement maps:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply, but it seems like i cannot produce the desired effect. when you say draw your brush strokes on my image, do you mean to first create a tranparent layer, or a layer copy ? and how do i paint with the brushes.. can i use transparent brushes? i do not know exactly how to describe it, but i only want a brush texture overlay onto an already existing image with visible brush strokes...the sample i put above was just an example of the texture i would like the final image to have.. sorry, for all the confusion... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a larger/better example of the structure and the image you want to edit thusly? 

Maybe this could be of use to you (provided the image is small enough): 

50 Art Style Prompts for Photoshop Generative AI FillNicolesyhttps://nicolesy.com › 2023/09/25 › 50-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for all your help.. yes, here is the image that i am working with and and an image with the effect i would like to create on top of my image.. i mean theses old, sometimes a bit smeary visible brush strokes, to make my digital picture more realistic. Thank you for all your help !!

karim1208_a_painting_with_a_vase_full_of_roses_in_it_in_the_sty_f71a885d-360d-49e9-acf5-fed0f04b400c.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 at 17.06.56.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s the unedited source image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the top one with the flowers in the vase..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have been edited quite a lot already (or have been a painting to begin with). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it already has been edited, but what is missing are those viible relaistivc brush strokes.. the promts -link you sent me already helps, but it still needs a more realistic touch.. as i mentioned, i would love to have some visible brush strokes. Isn't there somehow a way to do this with a brush stroke overlay, and then just mask it out wherever one would want those brush strokes to appear? Thank you for all your help !1 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems Generative Fill can emulate fairly decent brush strokes. 

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 13.38.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could apply brush strokes with a blending mode like darker color and appropriate brush settings to got transparency.

Also to get thickness effect you can apply emboss fx  to the brushed layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no magic button that will do this for you. You can create your brush strokes and add bevel and emboss layer style. Play with texture to make it look like canvas. Here is a sample I was playing with - I used the smudge tool on a new layer, use different layers for the effect, add texture. 

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 2.21.17 PM.png

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to make an image that is not a painting appear to have brush strokes, then you could apply the Oil Paint filter (Filter > Stylize > Oil Paint) to it. There are settings that you can adjust the settings to fine tune how you'd like the effect to be applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines