• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos4 and Photoshop CS4

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get pen tilt working in Photoshop CS4. If I choose pen tilt option in brush shape for shape dynamics it works as if the control would be set to pen pressure sensitivity. Diagnostics in driver options show tilt is detected. Tilt only works for angle control in CS4. And I'm using the latest update for CS4. In spite of this, i tried my intuos4 in corel sketchpad and it works great, just as expected. It detects pressure, tilt angle and tilt direction. I don't know what could be the problem. Can someone confirm having tilt working in CS4?

I'd like to use tilt for roundness control.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Robert - that is not how any of the pressure related settings work in Photoshop.

Then how DO they work for goodness sake. Please, please explain what I must do to make tilt show up as an effect in PS. You still haven't once said here is a brush selection and settings. Make some strokes on a canvas with these settings at several tilt angles and you will see a difference.

Tilt is just another pressure like mapping - it just changes things the same way pressure does, or angle, or speed, or direction,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 187 Replies 187
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for that screenshot that shows tilt bearing working on a canvas with F5 palette showing the settings?

Anyone?

Well it is two days since I asked someone to post the 'money shot' and there are no takers, so I assume (and quite rightly) that it does not work for anyone, because I assume everyone would like me to shutup.

Chris: I've been doing this for almost two decades, the drivers were updated properly and PS is updated properly. I don't see you posting the 'money shot' either.

I know you will ask, the 'money shot' is a canvas with two or three strokes that clearly show tilt bearing working with the F5 palette open showing the settings used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Wacom driver 6.1.1-3 and PS CS4 11.0.1.

When I try Pen Tilt for Shape Dymanics, it acts as if I had chosen Pressure. If I tilt, no change, if I press harder the line gets thicker. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2009 May 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not, I think most people feels 'tilt' works because it is set to that, but what they are seeing is pressure as you've indicated. I have the same setup but use the 608-4a drivers because they are the last fully certified drivers, I used the lastest beta with the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best and most natural method to test tilt is to set it to Brush Roundness,set the flow to 50 or so and the spacing a little higher to be able to see the variation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set Shape Dymanics Roundness Jitter to Pen Tilt and I see no Tilt variation. I also set Flow to 50%. Where do you set spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't do one d*** thing.

I noticed in PS that the pointer does not show tilt and rotation like it does in Painter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart,

I think you might be right. At first there were the warning triangles in the brushes palette next to the Control boxes and once I had updated both the Wacom Driver and CS4 those warning boxes dissappeared AND I assumed it was all working. After trying to set Shape Dynamics to a Tilt Control, I found it had no effect...the control of drawing a thick and thin line was still being controlled by pressure rather that Tilt. I shut off all other controls to isolate this and conclude that either the Tilt does not work or maybe I need a special Pen, but Tilt did not work with the 2 pens that came with my Wacom Intuos 3 PTZ 631w.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

Still doesn't do one d*** thing.

Of course it doesn't. I only said my working method, which does what it's supposed to do in the previous versions of photoshop.

Mama Shan the triangles are not related to any update. the show up if you're not using a pressure/tilt/bearing/etc. sensitive device. e.g if you start photoshop using a mouse and select pressure sensitivity to control a brush, a triangle will show up. as soon as you move the cursor using your tablet pen, the triangle will dissapear. anyway, even if the triangle on tilt dissappears, tilt doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup noticed that after the fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I finally did see it if I squinted really hard, the results are so miniscule, it is LAME, LAME, LAME!

Painter has it right, PS doesn't, it is that simple and for Chris to say that it works is LAME, LAME, LAME!

Way too much work for too little, if you have used Painter you know what I mean.

I'll use Painter for that kind of work and save out as a PSD if I need something else that Painter doesn't cover.

At least Painter does not try to be Photoshop, maybe the Adobe engineering team can learn from this, if you can't do it right, don't do it!

I had to come back and say it was an absolutely patheticimplementation, as far as I'm concerned, it still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the airbrush in Painter (just to make sure) and it sprays in different directions when you tilt the pen. Just as you'd expect. And this is just where tilt is most useful.

I certainly haven't been able to get PS CS4 to do that by ticking "airbrush". If there is some setting that produces similar results I'd love to know what they are. Just saying that it works certainly isn't helpful and the only suggestions that Chris has made that I'm aware of are update drivers and update PS. That hasn't done a thing for me since I'm already up-to-date. I'd really like to know what exact settings result in a "visible with ordinary eyes" reaction to tilt with airbrush setting for instance. I haven't found any so far.

If I can be shown that it works "here's exactly what you do" and I see results then fine, otherwise it simply doesn't work for me.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2009 Jun 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my System Info, let me know if you need anything else

• HP Elite Model d5200t,
  • Monitor HPw2338h, 
  • Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1,
  • Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650@ 3GHz,
  • Ram 8 G,
  • Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD4850.
  • Hard Drive 1Terabyt Raid 0, and
  • 1 Terabyte Personal Media Drive

Here's some of the info copied from the Sys Info under Photoshop CS4's Help Menu--

• Adobe Photoshop Version: 11.0.1 (11.0.1x20090218 [20090218.r.523 2009/02/18:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) X64
    Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
    Version: 6.0 Service Pack 1
    System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:10 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
    Physical processor count: 4
    Processor speed: 2999 MHz
    Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors
    Video Card Driver: atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver Version: 8.01.01.888
    Built-in memory: 8190 MB
    Free memory: 5571 MB
    Memory available to Photoshop: 7220 MB
    Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
    Image cache levels: 4

Again, I find that Tilt worked in CS4 as the control for changing Angle when I created an elipse shape brush in CS4, but it does NOT work in CS4 when I used as I did in the Airbrush, with Roundness and Angle set to Tilt as shown in the 2nd video I posted "Tilt in CS2 vs CS4" video (from a previous post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keenox - because other users HAVE said that the Photoshop update plus Wacom updates got it working, because we're testing it ourselves and it works just fine, because only 2 people are currently complaining that it doesn't work when they think they've installed all the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris:

Brand new Intuos 3 with the latest drivers and 'tilt' does not work with the pen. Works just fine in Painter, so it is not the driver that is the issue.

How about some settings where it works for you 'perfectly' so I can try them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart - if it's not working, then either you didn't update Photoshop or you didn't correctly update the drivers.

It works just fine - as long as you are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris:

I've been at this a long time, I have the latest PSCS4 update and the latest WACOM drivers, it still does not work PERIOD!

That is why I asked for brush setting where you know it works and I can use those as a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart - again, you missed something.  It works for everyone else who updated.

There's no magic setting -- just select tilt as a parameter for a brush dynamic and use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a Vista 64bit issue, I did install the latest drivers but it shows an older version in device manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a complete un-install with the tablet unplugged, deleted everything WACOM, deleted everyting WACOM in the registry, re-installed the drivers, shut down, plugged in the tablet, re-booted but it seems to still be using older driver versions.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart - you need to contact Wacom.  I can't find a machine where where the tilt isn't working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Bart - you need to contact Wacom.  I can't find a machine where where the tilt isn't working...

Well Chris - it sure is NOT working on my machine XP/32 latest Intuso3 wacom drivers (6.1.2-5) and PS/CS4

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fairness to Chris, QE finally had a look and he reported back with:

1. Photoshop QE can now reproduce the problem.  We're looking into it.

2. We don't know the cause yet.

Reproducing it is the first step, then a developer has to reproduce it on a debuggable build and figure out the cause inside the code.

Depending on the cause, the debugging could take anywhere from minutes to weeks.

3. Yeah, as the engineer started fixing it, he found multiple problems.  This won't be a simple dot release fix, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

In fairness to Chris, QE finally had a look and he reported back with:

3. Yeah, as the engineer started fixing it, he found multiple problems.  This won't be a simple dot release fix, unfortunately.

LoL Thanks Bart - I missed this in the thread stream...

cheers

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having problems with this too, but I've got it working now I think.  Here's a 'money shot' as requested.

brush tilt.png

I may have misunderstood, but it still doesn't work for me with the brush settings suggested by keenox (setting tilt to vary roundness instead of angle).

My original (and non-working) configuration was Photoshop 11.0 with Wacom driver 6.1.1-3 (Intuos4 M), running on Server 2008 x64.  The Wacom control panel diagnostics thing showed tilt was working, but Photoshop seemed to disagree.  I also had issues in Corel Painter - the brush would show the tilt angle correctly in the hover preview, but would draw vertically regardless.

Here's what I did to get tilt working.  Not sure all steps are necessary, but I'll list them just in case.

• Install Photoshop 11.0.1.
  • Remove my old tablet from the Wacom control panel.
  • Reinstall the Wacom driver (the same one) following this tip.

I now found Painter would work with tilt as it should, and that using the brush settings in the picture above also worked in Photoshop.  I also don't get the "oh no you don't" warning triangles anymore when I choose tilt.  I do wish the Photoshop brush preview would adjust its angle to match the tilt, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the bottom brush preview in the palette seems as it should be. I wonder if in the canvas you could draw a continuous stroke rolling the pen from tilt to upright to see if it gives variance? In other words so that it looks more like the preview box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines