• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos4 and Photoshop CS4

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get pen tilt working in Photoshop CS4. If I choose pen tilt option in brush shape for shape dynamics it works as if the control would be set to pen pressure sensitivity. Diagnostics in driver options show tilt is detected. Tilt only works for angle control in CS4. And I'm using the latest update for CS4. In spite of this, i tried my intuos4 in corel sketchpad and it works great, just as expected. It detects pressure, tilt angle and tilt direction. I don't know what could be the problem. Can someone confirm having tilt working in CS4?

I'd like to use tilt for roundness control.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Robert - that is not how any of the pressure related settings work in Photoshop.

Then how DO they work for goodness sake. Please, please explain what I must do to make tilt show up as an effect in PS. You still haven't once said here is a brush selection and settings. Make some strokes on a canvas with these settings at several tilt angles and you will see a difference.

Tilt is just another pressure like mapping - it just changes things the same way pressure does, or angle, or speed, or direction,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 187 Replies 187
Enthusiast ,
Jun 06, 2009 Jun 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Philippe90, you don;t need to buy the 64bit version of Photoshop, it comes with the 32bit version. It just won't install it if you only have a 32 bit operating system.

Mama Shan's test showed that it worked to soem degree, but not properly in roundness jitter. This is the same for me, and i am running 32bit photoshop with 32 bit windows xp.

Has anybody tried old versions of the wacom tablets updates with an older tablet to see if the problem still exists? For example, use the drivers for the tablet that came on the disk a year or 2 ago to see if the problem is still there? Lets try to rule out wacom by doing this. It seems it is looking more like an issue with windows by the sound of it; working on macitosh n all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky-T I've tested with 1 or 2 older versions of the driver and the problem persists. You can rule Wacom out from the start. The tablet works as supposed with all the software except for Psp CS4

Chris Are there 2 separate dev teams for Mac and Windows versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are there 2 separate dev teams for Mac and Windows versions?"

Nope, it's all one team.

Some people are more knowledgable about some APIs than others - but we all work on all platforms.

Yes, because CS2 and CS3 work for everyone - I don't think it's likely to be the tablet driver.  There could still be a weird interaction, but it's sounding more like something gets messed up in Photoshop's tablet interface code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Ricky and keenox, I understand I had forgot this point. Perhaps I will try with windows 7.

My intuos is an intuos 2 but I haven't the old driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about the driver , it does sound like it isn't going to be Wacom's drivers. But if it is needed, i do have the original drivers that came with my Intuos 1 on disc that i can copy over if they aren't on Wacom's site anymore.

When you run Photoshop at Adobe, can it be run in de-bug mode? With a console or whatever? Is there a way you can see what Photoshop is doing in the background when it is running?

Also, i just had an idea. You know Adobe ConnectNow...it lets you conncet with other peoples computers, allowing you to see what they are doing, and even take control of their computer to do it yourself. Would this be of any use to Adobe engineers to use someones computer who has the problem, and see how it is created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky-T--That's a really good idea about the Adobe Connect Now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky - for something like this, a drive image would be more useful.  It's probably not 5 minutes of looking around, but 5 hours of dissecting DLLs... unless someone can come up with a clue to isolate the cause and help us reproduce it in-house.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Lets get this worked out first:

Tilt works for me in most areas (compaired to Photoshop 7.0.1), apart from one area. If i turn off everything and just have a normal hard brush set up so that only Roundness Jitter is set to pen tilt, the pen tilt affects the brush size very insignificently to compaired to PS7. Other than that, i see nothing wrong with tilt. I.E: Setting the same brush up using only Angle Jitter set to pen tilt, this works absolutly fine....or at least the same as Photoshop 7.

This is on Windows XP Home Edition 32bit SP3, newest drivers installed for Intuos 4, Photoshop CS4 and Graphics Card.

Is this the same for everyboby here? Or does Angle Jitter work like it always has done in older version of Photoshop for some people? (Is still very noticable instead of minute changes in brush size.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can other programs other than graphics tablets and photoshop possibly have anything to do with this? If so, maybe people should post up installed programs too.

It seems that my photoshop appears to react the same as Mama Shan's does. It works, but has little effect in the roundness jitter. Is this the case for EVERYONE? (including Adobe computer systems?)

It does, however, work perfectly in angle jitter. Setting pen tilt to size jitter seems to be exactly the same as setting it to pen pressure. Is this the same for EVERYONE too? Actually it seems to work simlar to PS7, but seems to still respond to pen pressure unlike PS7, which it shouldn't in the way it has been set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Ricki T-- Yes mine works like yours assuiming for your Tilt it has to be an odd shape brush or elipse to see effect of angle using Tilt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd presume illustrator is written entirally different inside, and so the bug won't affect it. All it seems can be done is to do extensive user testing to see what causes it and what doesnt, then report back to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news, Chris?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been out of the office with a cold.  We've got people looking into it, but I haven't touched base with them this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop QE can now reproduce the problem.  We're looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally good news ! what was the cause of the problem?

what is QE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QE = Quality Engineering.

We don't know the cause yet.

Reproducing it is the first step, then a developer has to reproduce it on a debuggable build and figure out the cause inside the code.

Depending on the cause, the debugging could take anywhere from minutes to weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on fixing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2009 Jul 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no, the intuos4 come out just after I bought intros 3

spiderpoman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any good/useful news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2009 Jul 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well do we have a fix yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is called CS5 and it will be out next year. Hope you don't mind waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be patient, at least they are aware of the problem.  A non-critical bug such as this will probably take a long time to fix.  Once they have the bug identified, not only do they have to change the code, but it must also go through a testing stage to find out if the fix affects other aspects of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, as the engineer started fixing it, he found multiple problems.  This won't be a simple dot release fix, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines