Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

wacom or photoshop issue ?

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First things first. I work with the following setup : win7 64bit, photoshop cs5 (latest update), wacom intuos4m (driver up to date).

I don't do a lot of drawing in photoshop, so I may have missed the exact moment when the issue started, but yesterday I got annoyed.

I was drawing and then flipping to use the "eraser" end of the pen, it didn't work, it simply continued to work as a brush. I remember it working fine last year, so I checked the software setting of the pen

first. They were still ok. Then I went to Wacom forums first where I found this :

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8324&p=34735&hilit=eraser#p34735

The state it's the software that handles the pen, not the wacom driver, so therefore the glitch must be photoshop's (according to wacom). So I did reset photoshop to it's defaults

but it didn't change a thing. The eraser end of the pen is still not working.

Further googling didn't reveal anything useful. Anyone who ran into the same issue and found a solution ? It's a habit of not switching to

Thanks !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Problem Solved. I uninstalled the tablet prograsm and drivers and restart my pc.

I then Installed them all over again and restart my pc once more.

No, more problem.

The first few times i was avoiding rebooting after the uninstall and install processes which is why i am assming it was no working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the eraser as it's a destructive process. This sounds like an issue with the Wacom driver, not Photoshop. Have you uninstalled the Wacom driver, deleted it's preferences, and reinstalled it?

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Destructive on photos, I agree, but sometimes you're actually drawing and you want to erase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at the Intuos4 tablet properties, and if you select Grip Pen and then the Eraser tab there is a drop down that gives you several options for the eraser.  Can you see how yours is set?  Or just click on Defaults in the Eraser tab. 

I personally find it quicker and less disruptive to workflow to hit the 'e' key and use the nib end rather than reversing the pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay, I've been ill since Tuesday

@Trevor.Dennis : Ty for replying. The first thing I checked were the pen settings and yes the preference for the pen's eraser is set to "eraser". Flipping the pen to erase is a habit I guess.

@dmcrescent : Ty too.  I have not uninstalled and reinstalled anything yet. I planned it but unfortunately I fell ill.

Anyway, I found this : after booting the pc today, first thing I did was launch PS to have a look if rebooting helped. It didn't. Usually I work in with the 64bit version of photoshop; I decided to try the 32bit version of PS and bingo, in the 32bit version the eraser functions as it should. So..... is it a Wacom or an Adobe issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!!!   I got as far as typing the following

The same set up here.  Win 7 64bit Intuos 4M  Photoshop CS5   12.0.1

Wacom driver 6.1.7-3

Works fine with Photoshop 32 and 64bit.

...but thought I'd just check before posting, and sure enough  6.2.0w5 was released on the 25 Jan this year, and sure enough I now have the same problem.  I'll let you have the glory of reporting the bug.

[EDIT]  I couldn't help myself, and I have reported the bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you know !  Actually, at the time I posted my question, that driver wasn't available on the .eu site yet  ; I immediately checked after your post, it has been released on 31.01.2012 (http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=29&lang=nl)

I installed it and guess what ? Now the eraser does work in the 64bit version !  Not checked the 32bit one yet though . I'm really sorry to hear that you are having trouble now after the update. Wacom/Adobe surely works in mysterious ways *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So were you using and having the problem with 6.1.7-3  ?   And 6.2.0w5 has fixed it for you?      And I am having the opposite affect with those two drivers, which is more than odd.

It's not an issue for me as I never use that end of the Pen, and  I pointed them at this thread, so they have the chance to see what is happening.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that was not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem Solved. I uninstalled the tablet prograsm and drivers and restart my pc.

I then Installed them all over again and restart my pc once more.

No, more problem.

The first few times i was avoiding rebooting after the uninstall and install processes which is why i am assming it was no working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem, and it was just that black was selected for both colours in the colour pallet. I feel dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Wacom Tablet Properties.

Select your Pen.

Hit the ( - )button to remove the Pen.

Touch the pen to the tablet to pair it again.

It'll wipe your custom settings for the pen but it's better than having to redo your entire settings like reinstalling the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I love you!
This worked like a charm without uninstalling or anything.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was the best solution I didn't want to uninstall my drivers and I tried your way and it worked took like two seconds maybe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this. The issue is with Windows Ink in the pen settings.
How to Disable WINDOWS INK - Photoshop Bug with Wacom Tablets (2018) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines