Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird noise coming out of the PC when using Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I noticed this morning a weird issue when using photoshop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cioRSsl-Y
My pc makes this grinding noise when working with it and moving itemps in PS. It's not doing it in Indesign or Illustrator.
I really don't understand !

Thanks
Maximus Hero XI
Strix 3090

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's way too much TV time for you, Trevor. You need to get out more 😄

Being a level-headed and rational person, I'd start by opening the computer case and check the video card fan. Blow out all the dust and cobwebs while you're at it.

Do you have a spinning hard drive in there? Noise means imminent failure. Get everything off it and replace it ASAP. Photoshop writes to disk like crazy, much more than Ai and Id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a hard disk anymore, ony NVME and SSDs.
I clean my PC every week and the noise seems to come from the motherboard vrm actually, it's not the disks, not the pump or the fans, i'm 100% sure of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably just coil whine. You sometimes get it from VRM or GPUs. 

For a technical explanation look up magnetostriction.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't tell if it's the same thing ... but yeah, since ever when I start moving stacks of layers, or playing with adjustment I hear this subtle noise coming from the pc. Heard that back then with older PC, still hear it now with brand-new PC at work.

I'm not worried, but I was curious.

As Dave said: 

It is probably just coil whine. You sometimes get it from VRM or GPUs. 

For a technical explanation look up magnetostriction.

Too noob to really understand what he said, but I guess it could be that.

SSD
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

64,0 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are a Windows user, open up the Task Manager Performance tab, and then Resource Manager, and look for what is being pushed or maxed.  The GPU is at the bottom of the list under Performance.  Actually, I'm pointing that out because it scrolls off the page for me as I have a lot of drives and that probably won't be the case for most people.

We tell people that CPU clock speed is king with Photoshop, so it is most likely that CPU usage is being pushed causing turbo speeds to max, temperatures to rise and fan speed to increase.  I've never seen Photoshop come close to maxing the GPU over multiple systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have a weird noise also when using Photoshop, in fact with almost all of the Adobe products that I use which also includes Illustrator and premier Pro and they all exhibit this weird sound. It has a texture sound, rather grating, almost wind. It's not coming from within my System casing, but directly out through my speakers and or headphones depending upon which I'm using.

System Specs:

Running Windows 10; latest version. Had same issue when running Windows 11.

AMD 9 9750x CPU

ASUS Crosshair Extreme x670e Board

Corsair 5600 DDR5 Ram 64GB

RME HDSPe 32 PCIe Audio Card

Sys Drive WD 1.8TB M.2

GPU:  AMD WX7100 8GB DDR5

Scratch Disk 1TB Samsung  M.2

Other Drives:

3x 1TB Samsung M.2

1x WD Red Pro HDD 10TB

3x WD Red Pro HDD 8TB

System is water cooled and is extremely quiet. The noise through the speakers is annoying, so when using any Adobe products I turn the audio off.

Yours

John De Carteret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I noticed it for the first time on a new computer build. It sounds like an etching noise or something that is gained up to max and just clipping, but from inside the computer case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines