• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best Pen Tablet for Photoshop/Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more I get into design the more I keep seeing digital painting, and hearing about tablets for drawing using pressure sensitive response from the tablet. I've been on wacom and literraly just started researching a bit. I see a bamboo tablet and also an intuos tablet. Any advice for an up and coming designer and which one to buy, what to look for, what not to look for, good/bad experiences and so on?

Michael   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

If you really want the best, then I guess that has to be the big Cintiq

But that's a bunch of dollars.  Most of us use the Intuos, which is perfect for photoshop

I have an Intuos4 and have not tried a 5 or Touch, and that's what you'd buy new now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will only run on a windows based tablet.  They will not run on a Windows 8 ARM tablet either.  Adobe only sypports Windows and Mac OS Adobe does have some Tablet Apps but not Photoshop and Illustrator applications.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so your saying I cant use a tablet with photoshop or illustrator? I thought there were specific features inside of these programs to work with tablets, maybe I didnt understand    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a tablet computer (like an iPad) or a drawing tablet (Wacom)?

I think JJMack meant the former, while you meant the later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Do you mean a tablet computer (like an iPad) or a drawing tablet (Wacom)?

I think JJMack meant the former, while you meant the later.

Ahh, wow I cant believe I didnt catch that difference ha. No I'm talking about Wacom, for painting, drawing etc... not Ipads etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want the best, then I guess that has to be the big Cintiq

But that's a bunch of dollars.  Most of us use the Intuos, which is perfect for photoshop

I have an Intuos4 and have not tried a 5 or Touch, and that's what you'd buy new now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

If you really want the best, then I guess that has to be the big Cintiq But that's a bunch of dollars. 

A BIG bunch....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is old but I thought I will post anyway.

Look for:

XP-Pen

Huion

Artisul (probably the best in this list)

Those companies make some amazing tablets and on screen drawing tablets (like the Cintiq). The one thing they do not support is pen tilt but other than that their quality is amazing. Many Wacom users say that their paralex and straight drawing lines are better than Wacom.

Those tablets are practically a third of Wacom price.​

Allocate some time, make a cup of coffee, sit down and watch some Youtube reviews. You will be amazed. Many of those reviewers are professional animators and many have one of those tablets as their main driver drawing hours every day. Unfortunately, no Photo editing reviews to find anywhere. I looked.

But, if those tablets are good for animators they are definitely excellent for photo editing.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case I like the Wacom Intuos. A small one if you draw with small amount of hand movement.  If you prefer large sweeping strokes a larger tablet may be in order.  Tablets can be remaped to screen or screens and a small portion of the tablet can be maped to your whole display. So a Large tablet can also work like a small tablet.  Intuos version function about the same the newer one have some real hardware button that can be programmed and customize the user interface a little better then older versions. The actual pen interface has not really change much at all IMO.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ helpful, in my research almost everyone that does any decent size of design is gearing towards the intuos over the bamboo. The cintiq is just stupid expensive so I can rule that out along with the fact I'm more test driving it right now anyways

Hey thanks again JJ

If anyone else wants to give their 2 cents about bamboo vs intuos go right ahead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem with the big Cintiq is that it has to double as your main monitor — in practical terms at least.  Although I guess if you always use it in horizontal mode, you could still have a big screen behind it.  Heck, why are always looking for an excuse to spend more money on stuff?

There must be some truth in the adage ‘He who dies with the most toys wins’.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. I use MAC and use adobe on it and want to handdraw and use a Wacom product like Bamboo or Intus. But will the Wacom products work on a MAC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem using Wacom tablets with OSX as far as I know.   I have used tablets since thew original Graphire, and now use a medium  Intuos 4 and a Cintiq Companion 2.  I always use the Intuos with my main computer.  If I had to replace it now I'd get an Intuos 5 Touch (or whatever they are calling them now.   I am not sure how the Touch features work with OSX however.  With Windows you need 8.1 or 10 to use Gestures.

[EDIT]  I have changed the subject line to make it clear this thread is about pen tablets, and not IOS or Android iPad type devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Wacom intuos & Bamboo are designed to work with Windows and Mac. The Intuos is meant to be the "pro" version, and the Bamboo more for the "pro-sumer', or amateur. The Cintiq is a different beast, but really it's designed for the Pro - with lots of cash!

I've had a Graphire and am now using my third Intuos, the Intuos 5 Pen & Touch, small. Frankly the touch part is a bit useless as it makes my drawing go stupid at times, so I have to keep it switched off, but if you're one of those folks that's happy to put on one of those groovy gloves every time it's prolly fine. The tablet part is the best I've used, but be sure to get one of their "Art Pens" to get the most out of it (an extra $80-90). There's also the option of getting a wireless dealie, so you can work without being tethered (another $40-50).

The Bamboo range, as far as I can figure, is really quite close to being as good as the intuos in basic operation, and if you're one of those incredibly rare people who doesn't have wads of cash lying around (what's wrong with you weirdo!), or you're a beginner, or both, it's probably a good option, but remember, if you plan on going to an intuos or better anyway, the pens aren't interchangeable. The intuos 5 is also cheaper now, so probably worth it if you can. I imagine Wacom are working on intuos 6 as we speak, so be sure to check it isn't within days of release before splashing your hard-earneds around, as it will make 5s cheaper, and may itself be an unmissable revolution you can't live without.

Have fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, how are you?

Can you suggest me which pen table would be perfect for a beginner? I would like to edit pictures in photoshop, some shadowing, etc.

I was looking at Intuos 5 with art pen, but I cant find this product anywhere. Does it have any other name maybe?

Thank you and best regards,

Matevz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matevžk67716702 wrote:

I was looking at Intuos 5 with art pen, but I cant find this product anywhere. Does it have any other name maybe?

Wacom do like to keep reinventing themselves, with new product names.  I think the 'Intuos 5 Touch', is now sold as the 'Intuos Pro'. 

Intuos Pro Medium Digital Tablet for Drawing on a Mac

I started with Wacom's very first tablet, the Graphire way back, and have used an Intuos 4 for some years now.  I also have a Cintiq Companion 2, but I prefer the Intuos.  I would love an excuse to upgrade to the Pro, but I've found from my Cintiq Companion that gestures can be more of a hindrance than an aid, causing unintended zooms, pans and rotations of the canvas, so I'm sticking with the Intuos 4.

Mine is a Medium which is a good compromise between taking up a ton of desk space, but still be big enough for fine control.  I also love the Express Wheel on the Intuos, which I use exclusively for brush size.

We see way too many posts from people with Chinese knock off tablets where the drivers never work properly, so I'd steer clear of them.

Some people use the pen for everything, but I like to use the mouse for things like clipping paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thank you for answering. I will do on my mac book pro laptop 13". Do you think small version of intuos pro would be ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Intuos 5 is now called Intuos Pro. Here is a post from Wacom about it.  I

I think for beginners one of the Intuos non-pro tablets is a good deal. I have a Huion, I recommend that too for the size and price, though I know some people have a hard time installing the driver. Here is info about Intuos tablets there is also info about non-Wacom.

Another good source of info is YouTube, where you can see people using just about any tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Huion tablets are VERY cheap and excellent quality & very light weight to carry easily anywhere (but screen size small), Wacom Intuos, Wacom Bamboo has (resolution of 2540 LPI) & Ugee 1910B is great (if need large & perfect screen size of 16:9), for detailed & comparison tablets check here: bestofgoods.com/top-10-best-tablets-drawing-artists/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smashingwall  wrote

I agree with Huion tablets are VERY cheap and excellent quality & very light weight to carry easily anywhere (but screen size small), Wacom Intuos, Wacom Bamboo has (resolution of 2540 LPI) & Ugee 1910B is great (if need large & perfect screen size of 16:9), for detailed & comparison tablets check here: bestofgoods.com/top-10-best-tablets-drawing-artists/

Spend some time on this forum, and you'll see the number of issues (often as not unresolved) we get asked about with non Wacom tablets.  That's not to say Wacom tablets never have issues, but we can usually fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These days, the "best tablet" for Photoshop or Illustrator is really defined by how you might use it. There are a variety of options ranging from Microsoft's Surface tablet and computer line to Wacom's recent additions to the Cintiq family to the iPad Pro and it's various complimentary applications. Per your original question: Bamboo is Wacom's entry-level line, Intuos is more in their professional range, and the Cintiq is aimed at professional digital painters and illustrators. Just getting started a Bamboo should work okay, but I'd recommend bumping up to the smaller Intuos tablet if possible. It's going to provide better pressure sensitivity and a good feel for creating digital art.

If you find yourself having a rough time acclimating to the pen or using it while not having to look at the screen, you might be a good candidate for a Cintiq. Otherwise, you may find your workflow lends itself to using a tablet like the Surface or an iPad Pro to do initial creation of your drawings/painting, then you can transition over into Photoshop or Illustrator to enhance your digital works in post-production.

I currently use a Wacom Intuos Pro M (which is the medium size), along with a mouse as needed for quick edits, along with an iPad Pro 9.7. Sometimes I'll initiate work on the iPad then move over to Photoshop to manipulate the work further. I've been looking at picking up a Surface Pro because that could save a step but I'm unsure how different the pen will feel. Ultimately, try out some different options and see what fits your workflow and process best. Some of the best designers I know do all their digital illustration work using nothing but the mouse so as with everything, it all really depends. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Michael,

This is obviously personal but I can share my choices... The Intuos Wacom is solid and I've been using it for years. 

I wouldn't risk getting less than the Intuos, I've had a few BUT have never noticed any benefit of having the latest. Sure you can have 2000 levels of pressure instead of 1000 but I've never felt a difference. I think it peaked at Intuos 4 which had little LCD screens on it to say what the shortcut is. The new ones have an onscreen display I'm not a fan of. Perhaps you could find a 2nd hand deal?

Cintiq is over-rated and expensive.

I heard great thing about the iPad pro, Apple Pencil and AstroPad so I bought it and I'm really impressed. My only words of caution is with cintiq or iPad your posture changes. When you work on the screen directly you hunch over, with an Intuos (or similar) you can sit up right and look at the screen. When working long hours this is an important consideration.

I'd seriously consider an iPad since it could suit your needs and you could use it independently too.

All the best, Oscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is not a Drawling Tablet answer, but my HP Spectre 2016 has worked wonders, since I can draw straight on the screen. Hope you find your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a Wacom Intuos size M and I am completely happy. The Bamboo Tablett is more for the hobby user, as the pencil is not that ergonomic as the Intuos one, where you can draw for hours without tiring your hand. You just have to get used to draw on the tablet while looking on the screen, but you get accustomed quickly. I am a Wacom  fan using their tablets since 25 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. A real artist comparing different levels and ages of Wacom tablets. His findings might surprise you.

I used the original Graphire for many years before upgrading to an Intuos 4, and truth be told, there was not a massive difference in their functionality.  As the video above says, you are going to be very hard pressed to tell the difference between 1000 and 2000 pressure levels.  Can you make a line with your tablet that produces a smooth increase in line thickness using pressure alone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines