• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the Best GPU on Mac pro with Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question About GPU of Mac pro with Photoshop CC.

1.Radeon Pro 580X (with 8GB GDDR5 memory) 2.Radeon Pro Vega II (with 32GB HBM2 memory) 3.Radeon Pro Vega II Duo (with 2 x 32GB HBM2 memory)
I do not edit videos. Just edit one image of 200GB-400GB with photoshop. (thinking of 28 cores for CPU and 756 GB for RAM.) This question should be to apple, but as a result of inquiring, I do not have detailed information from apple and will contact adobe community.

Thank you, 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB GDDR5 would be sufficent for Photoshop, 756GB of RAM is overkill

Take a look here

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recomm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged,
Thank you for your advice, the link is really helping me.
Now I got to know how much power of GPU I need. It is really good information for me.

But I still think of RAM, under less around 500GB is not enough for my work. Because before I used iMac pro(18 core, 128gb_RAM,4TB_SSD) for 6 months, then Photoshop always needs 'Scratch disk' even in it is occupied 200-600GB of 4TB in SSD. So I am still thinking about RAM I need 768GB at this moment.
Anyway, Thank you from Japan. 
best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. This is excessive beyond overkill.

Photoshop is mainly limited by system I/O, how much data it can move around and how quickly. The most critical component is the scratch disk, but a standard 1TB NVMe system drive will do splendidly. Those files aren't particularly big. Big would be, say, 5 - 15 GB, in which case you might consider 2TB or more.

Other than that, an 8/12-core i7 or i9, 32 GB RAM, and a video card with 4-10 GB VRAM is plenty enough. Beyond that there's no return on investment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr.D_Fosse,
Thank you for your advice.

I still think of RAM, under less around 500GB is not enough for my work. Because this year I used iMac pro(18 core, 128gb_RAM,4TB_SSD) for 6 months, then Photoshop always needs 'Scratch disk' even in my date occupied 200-600GB of 4TB in SSD. It means RAM 128GB is not enough at all and even 3.5TB space for 'Scratch disk' is still not enough. Today I opened one image which has 280GB on photoshop. Checked 'Document size'. It indicated 324GB when it includes full layers. After some tasks, it became twice soon. 

So I am still thinking about RAM I need 768GB at this moment. Anyway, Thank you so much quick advice.

I appreciate such a community. We don't have like this in Japan. Helping me a lot.
Thank you again,

best,

Hiro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

768GB のメモリはあまりにも高価ですから OWC Express 4M2 NVMe M.2 SSD 4slot Thunderbolt 3 などの外付けケースで RAID 0 をスクラッチにしたらいかがでしょう。RAID 0 ならチャンクサイズも自由に設定できます。

私は Thunderbolt 3 の SSD x 2 をチャンクサイズ 256 k にして使っています。

(と言っても 32 K と 256 K の差が体感できるほどのことはしていませんが...)

それとジャーナリング無し、スポットライト対象から外すなどのことにより、余計な読み書きが発生しないのもメリットですね。

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susumuさん、アドバイスありがとうございます!

そういった方法は思いもしませんでした。

僕の理解が合っているか確認したいのですが、

つまり、「高速の外付SSDをphotoshopの仮想記憶ディスクのために設ければ、

単にRAMを増やすより安くあがる(その分スピードは落ちる)」という理解で合っていますでしょうか?

また、OWC Express 4M2 NVMe M.2 SSD 4slot Thunderbolt 3はケースのみなので、

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?sort.popularity=desc&q=NVMe+SSD

などを購入し、好きな容量に設定する、ということで合っていますでしょうか?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

そうですね、その理解であっています。改めて探してみたら Mac Pro には「HighPoint SSD7101A-1 M.2 RAIDカード」の方が良さそうですね。

https://www.oliospec.com/blog/?p=1335

とりあえずはこれに 1TB x 2 を載せて、足りないようなら 4TB に増やしても20万円以下で済みます。

メモリを 768GB から 384GB に減らせば – 44万円ですから差額は大きいですね。

最初の計画ではスクラッチディスクは内蔵の 4TB に兼用するつもりだったのでしょうか。

もしそのつもりであったなら高価な内蔵 SSD でもあることですし、スクラッチとシステムを同居させるのは怖いですね。

メモリは後々値段がこなれてきてから増設しても良いと思います。

GPU も Mac Book Pro 16inch など新しいものはまだまだ Photoshop との相性が良くないような書き込みを見かけますから、これも後からで...

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ご助言ありがとうございます。
おかげさまで理解が進みました。
システムとスクラッチの同居を考えておりました。こちらはどういった理由でためた方がいいのでしょうか?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

まず経済的な問題で言えばSSDには書き込み回数の制限があります。通常の使用であれば十分に長寿命と言えると思いますが、スクラッチで常時数十〜数百GBの読み書きをしているとなると、なんとなく不安になります。

純正ストレージを256GBから2TBにすれば+88,000円です。純正ストレージが壊れて交換となれば同等の金額がかかるでしょう。

市販のRead, Writeが2000MB/s 程度のSSDなら30,000円以下で手に入るでしょう。

それからAPFSがスクラッチボリュームとして適しているのかという疑問があります。APFSの利点である「クローン、スナップショット、暗号化、クラッシュに対する保護」などはスクラッチボリュームのパフォーマンスを落とすような感じがします。

ですからスクラッチボリュームとしてはHFS+のジャーナリングオフでの運用が適切ではないかな、という気がします。

(単なる素人の勘違いかもしれません。その点はご容赦ください。)

Catalinaではターミナルを使わないとジャーナリングをオフには出来ません。コマンドは以下です。

$ diskutil disableJournal diskx x はDevice#になります。

ジャーナリングとは簡単にいうとシステムのクラッシュなどでもファイルの管理情報と実データとの矛盾が生じないようにするシステムのことですが、スクラッチボリュームにおいてはスクラッチデータを残すことはなんの意味もありません。スクラッチボリュームにトラブルが生じたら再フォーマットするのが一番です。

ジャーナリング記録では若干の読み書きパフォーマンスを落とす可能性があります。

以下参考に

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ジャーナリングファイルシステム

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_Systemhttps://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System

以上のことは個人的に保証できる内容ではありません。その点はご容赦ください。

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAM acts like a cache for the scratch disk. With 32 GB RAM you will always have enough to handle current and immediate operations. But the main memory Photoshop needs is handled by the scratch disk. The contents in RAM will shift as you work, but it will normally be fully saturated. It then passes data back and forth to the scratch disk, according to immediate needs.

In other words, the critical component isn't RAM, but the scratch disk. When RAM runs out, Photoshop still operates normally, only perhaps a little slower. With modern NVMe drives the speed difference isn't very noticeable. It is obviously a whole other story with spinning hard drives, and if scratch requirements get really huge that may be the only option. Still, two 1TB NVMe drives will take you a very long way - unless you plan to process the entire Google Earth database in one go.

So again, several hundred GB RAM is completely unrealistic. Concentrate on the scratch disk instead. That's where the payoff is.

If you get scratch disk full messages with several TB free, that sounds like a bug, but I don't know where that comes from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been told that if you get a storage option other than 256, then the mac pro comes with 2 ssds configured in Raid 0.

Also, the base model 8 core processor runs ram at a slower speed than the optional processors.

2666MHz vs 2933MHz

Since the mac pro now actually has user accessible PCI Express slots, adding storage via a PCI card

with multiple NVMe drives is another option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGfVFpMpuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0PnVHHTX1E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines