• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the best tool in Photoshop for accurate free hand selections?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use the Freeform Pen Tool to draw a path and then hit Ctrl + Enter to turn it into a selection, but after I am done with a stroke and release the mouse button, it doesn't keep the actual stroke that I have drawn, it over simplifies it, but it's not smoothening it, it's making it more edgy and tries to straighten the lines that I have drawn.

I want to disable that.

I want a selection tool that can select manually exactly what I want so that the selection doesn't change to something else after I release the mouse button.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Paths I would just use the Pen Tool – not the same experience naturally. 

Have you tried using Illustrator’s Pencil Tool? 

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 12.28.43.png

If the ultimate target are Selections/Layer Masks why not just paint with the Paint Brush Tool? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to do my selections in Photoshop, not in Illustrator.

I cut out images in Photoshop, then I do illustrated collages in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pen tool for selection?

Even the Freeform pen tool is not good, for the reasons mentioned in my post.

With the Pen tool I cannot even select anything, or to draw accurate paths along, where I want my selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Pen tool I cannot even select anything, or to draw accurate paths along, where I want my selection.

Of course one can acurately mask objects with the Pen Tool, provided the images are sharp and the objects don’t include a lot of »fluff« like hair. 

And one can then use the Path as a Vector Mask (again: if the image is sharp, the object has a clear border etc.). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IHow do I disable the path altering functionality of the Freeform Pen Tool?

I don't want it to alter my drawn path, after I release the mouse button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you see before that change is a »path« in the sense that it reflects the previously executed motion but not a »Path« in the sense of a Bezier Path, so it is not »altered«, it is »created«. 

If you are creating Selections or Masks why Paths at all and not use regular painting tools? 

@Chris P. Bacon wrote:

If you use Paths to create Selections in Photoshop and then use those clipped images in Illustrator, could you not just as well create the Paths in Illustrator and use them as Clipping Masks there. 

Illustrator’s Pencil Tool seems to offer more Options than Photoshop’s Freeform Pen Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator I cannot do this:

Solved: Re: Save selection with transparent background and... - Adobe Support Community - 13462365

The answer accepted in this question, because that's what I need to do.

Do my selections, then save them in a file of the same size, with transparent background, and in the same position as in the original image. (then use them for collages)

In Illustrator I cannot even hit Ctrl + Enter to turn a path into a selection as I can in Photoshop.

If you ave a suggestion how to do the accepted solution in the thread above in Illustrator, then maybe I could use Illustrator.

I think that clipping masking for collage might overcomplicate it for me.

For collage I just need to position and stack images, that's all, I don't need any masking, at least not for simple collages.

But I can see that masking could be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned that Paths in Illustrator can be used as Clipping Masks, whether that’s prudent or not for your work is naturally another question.  

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 14.16.29.pngScreenshot 2023-01-13 at 14.16.35.png

Should Illustrator’s Path creation tools meet your needs better than Photoshop’s but the Paths ultimately be needed in Photoshop you could still copy them and paste them in Photoshop as Paths. 

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 14.18.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had to save that eagle with a transparent background as a PSD as a new file from Illustrator, so that the new file would have the same dimensions as the other and the eagle would be in the same position in the file, how would you do it in Illustrator, would it be possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

Try using the Pen Tool and draw the area you wish to select and then Right click and select make selection:Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 11.26.20.png 

Then entered your desired feather radius and hit enter and this shoulkd make a near perfects selection for you.Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 11.26.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible to accurately select witht he Pen tool, and it's bloated with features that I don't need for selection, like the curve changing handles, etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can adjust the Curve Fit in the Path Options before drawing a Freeform Path.

The lower the number the more it adheres to where you draw. The default is 2.0

cf.png

Didn't realize that Curve Fit was already mentioned in another of your posts.

Still the curve Fit should make a major difference when drawing the path.

You changed the Curve Fit before drawing a path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried it with setting it to 0.5 pixels but the path is still not exactly what I draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Lasso Tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Lasso Tool?

By @Jeff Arola

Especially in conjuntion with Opt/Alt to join stright line sections.  There are lots of occasions wherew the lasso tool is arguably the best tool for the job 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The lasso tool will select an area when you release the mouse button after drawing along a curve, so that's not good, I am supposed to draw lines.

ohE2nSmkk3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines