• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what SHOULd I be doing to crop when I can't crop?

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the scenario:

multiple layers in a design > place embedded image > it's larger than the document > draw a marquis around just the area I want > invert the selection and delete > now later when moving layers around my document I discover that the delete function DID NOT delete anything outside of the document boundaries. so I end up with an image like what I've attached which is ridiculous I know.

Crop isn't available when there are multiple layers though.

I'm sure it's something I'm missing.

How should I handle this as a work flow? I run into this all the time.

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

I ended up finding the perfect solution! Using masking. Make the selection and then just click the mask on for the layer. Boom. Non-destructive and I can still move the image around and resize and everything.

Great tut from: https://www.bwillcreative.com/how-to-crop-a-layer-in-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SDB-NashvilleJason wrote:

draw a marquis around just the area I want > invert the selection and delete

Please clarify your steps. You mention both deleting and cropping — they are not the same.

• Delete works only on the active layer.
  • When you crop, use the Crop tool "C" and look in the options bar to confirm "Delete Cropped Pixels" is checked. (That may not be the exact wording.)

When you make a selection first as you did, the Crop tool will recognize it. You can also make a selection and go to Image > Crop. Be sure to crop a copy of the image, otherwise there is no way to get it back.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your aren't missing anything, it's just how PS works. I suggest you open your image instead of placing, select the part you want and drag and drop it into your other file. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart objects can't be cropped. You need to open the smart object and crop the original, then save and close it.

No direct pixel operations can be done on smart objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ended up finding the perfect solution! Using masking. Make the selection and then just click the mask on for the layer. Boom. Non-destructive and I can still move the image around and resize and everything.

Great tut from: https://www.bwillcreative.com/how-to-crop-a-layer-in-photoshop/

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines