• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

when I paste an image into my PD document it is very pale

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for a while now whereby if I paste an image into my photoshop document, it has a very weak/pale gamma. If I paste it to a new document it's fine. If I cope merged layers and paste to a new doc, and then paste my image it's fine, but if I paste the image (say, from google images) into the original PSD document, it's then that it's very pale.

Likely something to do with the document's source color formatting or some such. But I'm not familiar with such things.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

It's a gamma issue from the Cinema4d render. So it's not quite a Photoshop issue. I made a new fresh document the exact same dimensions and dragged all the layers from the 'broken' (or incorrect gamma) PSD into it and things looked different, brighter, but also I could paste images into this new document as normal with the correct brightness.

So I think I need to figure out my gamma workflow in C4D.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you do such thing please make sure your color mode is rgb hope it helps you.....Regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it's RGB. (oops, sorry it sent twice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it's RGB. That was the first thing I checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a gamma issue from the Cinema4d render. So it's not quite a Photoshop issue. I made a new fresh document the exact same dimensions and dragged all the layers from the 'broken' (or incorrect gamma) PSD into it and things looked different, brighter, but also I could paste images into this new document as normal with the correct brightness.

So I think I need to figure out my gamma workflow in C4D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happens when you work without color management - when the source document does not have an embedded color profile. A color profile is sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto etc.

This is not a problem with Photoshop, it's a shortcoming in the other applications you're using.

Photoshop is fully color managed and the whole architecture is built around that. It needs to have a color profile to work with. If there is none, your best bet is to assign sRGB. This will have the least chance of being completely wrong. There will never be a perfect match, but it should be close enough.

In this situation you need to work systematically and avoid wrong and random profile assignments. Don't paste from random sources - make sure they are in the sRGB color space, have the sRGB profile embedded, and make sure your Photoshop document is in sRGB with the sRGB profile embedded.

If you need to change an existing profile, convert. If there is none, assign.

Don't change anything in Photoshop color settings! Leave everything at defaults. This is on document level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

an image taken from Google images is likely sRGB - (RGB imgaes have a colourspace, its needed to define the colour). If it's opened in Photoshop and sRGB is assigned it should look fine.

Maybe your PSD is Adobe RGB?

If to the google file should be opened, assign sRGB, then convert to Adobe RGB

Let us know how it goes?

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines