• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I save my RGB file in PDF it turns CMYK

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design which consists in a DIN A1, very colorful poster. When I save it from Photoshop in PDF keeping all the layers, and then open the PDF, it keeps all its original colors, but it takes a looot to load, so I tried to merge all the layers in Photoshop and save it in PDF again. When I open that PDF file, it looks normal, with RGB colors, but when I zoom out it suddenly turns CMYK, and even if I zoom in again it stays CMYK. I have 3 more posters with the same dimensions and it happens to all of them. Why does it happen? How can I solve that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the Print Presets have anything to do with it. When you go to Save as... and choose Photoshop PDF, you are given a choice of Print Presets:

Some will perform RGB to CMYK conversions, but if your printer does not mind RGB, try PDF/X-3 or X4

Press Quality converts RGB to CMYK  PDF 1x/a does the same

PDF/X-3:2002,  compatible with Acrobat 4 and that means that it flattens transparency, but it doesn't perform any color conversion.

PDF/X-4:2008 is compatible with Acrobat 7 and above. No color conversion. RGB stays RGB, CMYK stays CMYK, spot stays spot and this supports live, unflattened transparency.

I'm not a Press expert, I just recall this from an Adobe Acrobat course.

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.23.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, it keeps doing the same

The thing is that it doesn't happen with smaller files, like DIN A4, it just happens with really large files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

areng73020339  wrote

but when I zoom out it suddenly turns CMYK, and even if I zoom in again it stays CMYK

You'll have to explain this in a little more detail. A file doesn't "turn CMYK" by zooming, that's not possible. Exactly what is happening? Can you post screenshots? What makes you conclude it has been converted to CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It literally does that, I mean, the document doesn't turn CMYK per se, it's like it changes its display colors when you open the PDF and zoom out, it isn't a problem with my computer because I've tried opening it in other computers and it does the same, even in the copy shop's computer.

I know it's CMYK because when I was doing the design I was checking the CMYK colors constantly to know how it would look when I printed it. The thing is that I need it to look RGB on computer because the professor is going to look at the pdf files and I need him to see how it would look in RGB, which are its original colors.

Look (you can see it better on the green bugs):

CMYK.pngCMYK2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same EXACT thing is happening to my PDF coming out of Figma. It looks fine whenever I initially created however whenever I zoom in it will suddenly turn CMYK. I have gone into the settings to change it to Apple RGB viewing and then save it. However it reverts back to a CMYK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s Figma? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi c.pfaffenbichler Figma appears to be an image app: https://docs.merkulov.design/upload-and-replacing-images-in-figma/

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, exporting from Figma. Took me forever to get RGB back. Went to Tools, Print Production, Preflight. Then PDF fixups, convert all pages to RGB, and then went through the prompts under the standards, saving as a PDF/A.

This is definitely an Acrobat issue because the settings I used to export from Figma were set to RGB and the original pdf views as RGB in Preview. I've had this happen from files exported from Illustrator, too.

Adobe needs to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@dturman707 wrote:

Adobe needs to fix this.

1) If this is an Acrobat issue, then this would be the wrong forum to note any possible issue/bugs

2) Without sample original/before files and files after the issue appears and clear steps it is hard for say what is going on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the anyone on the Adobe team that has a solve for this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I wouldn't think so. The discussion was four years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myra, are you asking because you believe you have the same problem or similar to that described above? 

If so to help, we'll need a comprehensive step-by-step description along with application program version numbers and screenshots showing the process you use to save the PDF.

And then how do you open and analyse it to see that it's become CMYK? Screenshots please

insert any images into the text using the filmstrip icon above the mesasage box, do not attach, many helpers here are reluctant to open attached images due to virus issues. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be sure to explain what you mean by " I have gone into the settings to change it to Apple RGB viewing" as I can't think what you mean by this, there is no setting option I can think of for "RGB viewing". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to that, please share the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines