• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I try to save my psd it says Could not save “(File Name)” because the document exceeds the 2.00G limit for saving Photoshop files. See Help topic “Saving and Exporting Images” for more information.

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i fix it so i can save it

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

You should use the Large Document Format (PSB). The limit is around 4 Exabytes or 4 billion GB. 300,000 x 300,000 pixels max.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save your file as a PSB or "Large Document Format". 2 GB is the PSD size limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file became bigger what should i use to save a file over 4gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use the Large Document Format (PSB). The limit is around 4 Exabytes or 4 billion GB. 300,000 x 300,000 pixels max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see that option as one of my save options. How do I find the PSB format? I do not see it on my Photoshop 15. help somebody. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also called "Large Document Format  v15 is a very old Photoshop CC. Update to v22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys sometime it will continue to show you that error even after sliding the file handling and stuff. Best way is to go to Image on the top and click Image Size, decrease the height and width pixels (check the proportion box in the bottom). On the right you will see the image size to go down. This gives enough room for upcoming layers to fit in that size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thsnk you for advice. It really helped we in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have gotten this message, even though my document has only 2 layers and the document size in the bottom left says "Doc: 260.0M/520.0M." It's nowhere near 2GB. Why does this message continue to appear? I shouldn't have to save my 520MB file as a PSB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread and try the suggestions there. If that layer is a text layer, that may be the problem.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2580185

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this error and a (non-text) layer was corrupt. I had to manually delete layers and try to save until I found the layer that was causing the problem. Copied and pasted the contents of that layer into a new one, deleted the bad one, and can now save as PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One simple trick that may work is to crop your image to the final size which gets rid of any size-hogging material that is not relevant. For example, I added snowflakes to a photo using the noise filter. I had to scale that layer up 800% which caused the file size to explode from 100M to 7G. I only needed the effect on the original size so cropping it removed 90% of the layer. File went back down to 109M and saved normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You Rock!!  That was it.  Once I cropped the unneccessary part of the image - My file reduced by 2/3s in size!! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked!  thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're so amazing!

That was it,

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Photoshop is trash.  I have a 1.4gb project opened.  I paste a 45 MB image into it and the filesize is now 9.5GB.  I then immediately delete that layer and boom, now it's only 9.48 GB.  Thanks photoshop!  Photoshop is trash.  I have 50k hours in this program, and it is broken beyond belief.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/70327097/Star-Wars-Episode-9-mockup-poster

I created this a year and a half ago in photoshop.  it has over 2500 layers and is right about where it belongs at just under 4GB at full 36x24 300dpi print resolution.  The file I am currently debating whether to throw my laptop out a window over is a 1 page website with not even a 10th of the amount of layers and is broken.  Get your house in order adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So? There was a perfectly rational explanation in that thread...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a 1.4gb project opened. I paste a 45 MB image into it and the filesize is now 9.5GB. I then immediately delete that layer and boom, now it's only 9.48 GB."

I agree the size sounds absolutely outlandish. But if you delete the pixel content and the size remains, something else is going on. Photoshop can't do that on its own. Maybe there's off-canvas content that wasn't deleted. Metadata would also remain in the file. I'm not saying that could normally account for 9GB, but it could contribute. If the file has a long history of copy/pastes, metadata can explode to absolutely unbelievable sizes.

Where do you read the file size? Is that encoded/packaged size on disk, or decoded/expanded size in RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it's trash. There is no psb file extension option in the menu when I try to save my larger than 2GB psd file. What kind of garbage programming is this? Looking for new software option now, and preparing to cancel my Adobe subscription. The file size should be unlimited. So disappointed. Adios Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no garbage programming. We all get a PSB option in the save dialog, always, regardless of file size. If you don't get it, you have a corrupt install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally located the PSB option. There is a serious defect in the PSD programming though. I had a PSD file that is 1.2 GB in size. I opened it and added one TIF image that was 58 MB in size, then tried to save the PSD file. I got an error message that the file was larger than 2 GB and could not be saved. Something is very, very wrong here. The added image was not 800 MB. It was 58 MB. Adding 58 MB to the 1.2 GB PSD caused it to give the error message that the PSD file was larger than 2 GB. So, you guys need to overhaul the PSD saving process. It is horribly defective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting a file into a Photoshop document, might be the problem, not Photoshop if that file has "Document Ancestors".

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/larger-file-sizes/m-p/10905114?page=1#M304064

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive same error. There is Doc: 24,8M/129,3M in the left bottom corner. Saving as .psb works, but file size after saving is just 65,2 MB. Where is that more than 2 GB ??? If I open this 65,2 MB psb file and try to save it without any changes as .psd again this error about more than 2 GB. Sorry Adobe, but it doesn't make sense, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I had the same problem,  just sharing my solution.

So I wanted to save my file as pdf file with high quality, I solved the problem with the  trim option to reduce the file size and it worked well gd luck 👍 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines