• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the gradient options interface? Photoshop 2024

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a gradient that fades to transparency and it was simply in older versions...now in 2024 there appears to be no way of doing this. No way of accessing the gradient options after you select the tool to make adjustments to create a transparent gradient. I don't know if I am going insane or if Adobe itself went insane.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... in another confusing twist. Somebody thought it made sense to save an actual "Foreground to Transparent" gradient swatch in the "Legacy Gradients" section...but NOT to let the user create them on the fly in the normal interface... OK Dokey...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Adobe made an error in hiding legacy gradients (and Shapes, etc.) when they transitioned from the old Preset Manager to the current panels, but once you get past the bother of setting it up the way you like, it's a more flexible and efficient work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not more flexible and efficient. The vast majority of users have used this program for a very long time and expect it to function a certain way. When Adobe changes that workflow, it becomes LESS EFFICIENT FOR THE MAJORITY OF USERS.

Give your head a shake, stop justifying crappy changes to things that never needed changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You no longer have to open a stack of dialog boxes to see the gradient options. Now, if a Gradient Fill layer is selected, the gradient options are all immediately available in the Properties panel. In addition, if the Gradient tool is also selected, you see on-canvas controls so you can change angle and stops right on the document itself.

Photoshop-gradient-properties.jpg

If you want to fade to transparency, as in older versions just change one of the Opacity stops. Now it’s right up front, not hidden away in a dialog box.

Photoshop-gradient-properties-transparency.jpg

Long-time Photoshop users might not think to look in the Properties panel because it’s relatively new, but it’s where Adobe is starting to make lots of options  visible so it’s a good idea just to keep it open all the time.

To answer your other question, if you want to apply a Foreground to Transparent gradient, it’s readily available as one of the default Gradient presets. Just click or drag and drop to apply it to the current layer, or drag to add a new Gradient Fill layer to the document.

Photoshop-Foreground-to-Transparent.jpg

It’s worth learning how the presets panels and the Properties panels work, because they work that way now for all preset types, such as gradients, shapes, swatches, patterns, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the issue was that the property panel did not automatically appear when double clicking the palette itself, nor did it appear as an option when control clicking (right clicking)...unlike the TEXT property panel appears. I hope Adobe is paying attention here. 

The property palette should not be hidden away and need to be found in the top menu bar, it should be automatic as that is common sense UI. Otherwise, users will assume that it does not exist if they cannot even right click on a tool to get the properties panel to make adjustments. So the property panel is as expected funcationally and a good step, now all Adobe needs to do is give the user a away to know and activate it by right clicking at the very least, but ideally it should just come up if double clicking on the tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The property palette should not be hidden away…

By @Tran5F95

It’s not hidden, I just tested this. I simulated a fresh installation by deleting Photoshop preferences. When I started Photoshop, the Properties panel is one of the panels that is in front in the default Essentials workspace. You can see this by selecting the Essentials workspace and choosing Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials to make sure it’s back at its default.

It could be hidden if someone upgraded and used the option to bring forward the previous version’s preferences. For example if someone has been using Photoshop for many years, they may have a customized workspace from before the newer panels existed, so if they bring forward their old preferences they might not realize there are new panels unless they look at the Window menu.

…and need to be found in the top menu bar…

By @Tran5F95

It already is. The Properties panel is just another standard panel, so if you lose it, you can always go to the menu bar and choose Window > Properties.

@Tran5F95 wrote:

…ideally it should just come up if double clicking on the tool. 

That might be a good idea, but so far no Photoshop tools work that way. And the Properties panel is not related to the current tool, it is related to the current selection/layer. That is why, in the Properties panel, gradient options apper when a Gradient Fill layer is selected, and type options appear when a type layer is selected.

The panel that provides tool options is the options bar at the top: When you select a different tool, the options bar changes to show options for that specific tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a user is using another computer and that palette was closed, it would be expected that the user can just simply choose the gradient tool, then the property palette just pops up automatically. It should not be hidden away under the menu bar on top, requiring the user to go there and look for it. Furthermore, if the tool is selected and the property does not appear automatically, the user should be able to right click and open the property palette. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hidden, stop trying to defend Adobe screwing around with palettes and tools that were never broken. I've used Adobe for over 20 years, when you would double click on the Gradient the interface would pop up and you could quickly edit the gradient from there.

I wish Adobe would stop [removed by moderator] around with these classic programs. And contrary to the other Communicty Members comment: this isn't a better workflow when 99% of the users have to relearn how to operate the program.

I feel like I am taking [removed by moderator] crazy pills sometimes with Adobe products, it's maddening and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally, the fact that I found this when trying to do a transparent gradient as I usually did and also was freaking pissed off at Adobe when I found out it was another of their dumb takes on optimization. When will Adobe learn, if it ain't broken, don't fix it! Braindead take, and it costed me precious minutes to stop freaking out cause there was no place where to edit the freaking gradient to make it transparent. This unnecessary change SUCKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how does that help us if we are NOT using a gradient fill and need a gradient MAP to apply it onnly to a specific group of layers? I need to be able to adjust gradient map and the properties tab does not have the opacity option. Why can't we just be able to add opacity nodes there? This doesn't help anyone not using Gradient Fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradient Maps does not use opacity stops, and never has They were visible in previous versions, and you could adjust them, but they had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, absolutely infuriating. Adobe stop making these dumb changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines