• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the shortcut for Panning?

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to assign middle mouse button to pan.  How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Photoshop uses the spacebar as the modifier to zoom and pan images. Photoshop has the following ways to pan across your images:

• “H” selects the Hand tool.
  • Holding down the spacebar (while most other tools are selected) will temporarily access the Hand tool (allowing quick panning of images that are zoomed in). This shortcut also works while in a modal state (such as while a dialog box is displayed or while in Free Transform).
  • When using the Hand tool to pan, Photoshop “eases out” of the pan (this is referred to as Flick Panning). For an abrupt stop when panning, click, drag and hold with the Hand tool. Note: Flick Panning can be disabled in Preferences > Tools > Enable Flick Panning.
  • When viewing multiple images simultaneously, Shift -drag with the Hand tool to pan all open documents. To set this as the default behavior, with the Hand tool selected, check “Pan all Windows” in the Option bar.

You may also check this discussion: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cs6_use_middle_mouse_button_as_hand_tool

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically, you can't.  Great.  And the topic you linked is a request for such a feature... and it was made 9 years ago.  Thanks for the time warp.  It gave me a laugh at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you not do?  I have no problem assigning H to the middle mouse button.  I can hold it press the add the left click to get  Spring H Zoom out position the area box let go of the left mouse button zoom back in  then let the middle button up to switch back to the original tool. Or I just tap the middle button to switch to the hand tool the pan with the left mouse button. When the hand tool is the current tool  I can also press and  hold the middle button then add the left mouse button to get the Zoom out and  position  the area box  let the buttons go to zoom back in.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What can you not do?"

What my original post says.  I don't want to do all the crap you are talking about, I want to assign panning to middle mouse button.  I don't want to change my middle mouse button in third party software just for adobe photoshop... that is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote that was suggested or requested of Adobe 9 years ago. So maybe some day Adobe may consider it or perhaps they rejected the idea or request. Adobe does not make public all their plains.

You should do something for what you want to do is not currently possible with Photoshop and may never be possible.  I like a $1,000,000.00 but realize its not in my cards. So I make do with What I have I can pan with my fingers..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Th oiginal post was literally "I want to assign middle mouse button to pan. How do I do this?" and comment about the "9 years past suggestion" was a response to a possible answer (but ultimately weas not what the original poster asked.

As summon who could benefit greatly from this suggestion becoming an actual feature built-in to Photoshop- (And to be quite honest, at the prices we are being bent over to pay for these applications, something so intensly natural should be included in the next update.) - i think this isnt isnt a difficult ask of a cimpany that has created useful tools.

To the original poster @darcfuture, I truly hope this is something on the radar for a future update. Like, it would make me feel less agitated about paying that yearly subscription fee. in the meantime, I, myself, have on deck a few methods i wanted to try to get around this unnecessary hurdle.

I started playing around with mac alternaties for "xmouse", a windows based app that allows you to quite literally code (and it doesnt seem too too insanely difficult to do on the windows version) your MMB to do an action such as the following (and I got this from a youtube video out there... somewhere)

["SPACEBAR"][wait 10 milliseconds]["LMB"][wait 10 ms][move mouse a couple pixels(this is to surcumvent an eventual glitch)]

and apparently this tricks Adobe products into thinking your MMB is clicking [space + left mouse] button and you can drag with it with just that MMB. The waiting 10ms allows the computer to do the keys much closer to a humans speed instead of nearly instantaneously- which photoshop cant reconcile, and the pixel thing was explained that without the mouse moving a pixel or two adobe doesnt process that youre trying to pan, or osmething of the sort.

And for my  fell impatient people (self guilty as well)

TL;DR > There is no way to do it without codind your middle mouse button to do so via third party apps, which technically less of a way, and more of you creating your way.

If in this time you have figured out how to, I welcome any knowledge you bring to the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mac, and a mac mouse with the little rubber ball on the top middle of the mouse.... with it I can scroll up and down in this browser window, in Premiere I can scroll the timeline, and in Photoshop I can pan my canvas.... so its already part of the normal functionality of the mouse. And if all else fails, just press the HUGE spacebar button on your keyboard and you can easily pan and move the canvaas around when zoomed in.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's PAINFULLY OBVIOUS(as obvious as, say, A HUGE SPACEBAR) that original post(and me) are trying to circumvent pressing down the spacebar, as well avoid the HEINOUSLY designed mac mighty mouse- or whatever nonsense they call it nowadays.  Some people require more from their apps to make work flow more streamlined.  I cant get into Why a person would want MMB to be pan(without being bound to garbage mac mouse) but understand that even if you cant/or chose not to see why, there are many many people out here who would benefit from this.  (And let's be done with the passive aggressive comments.)#iykyk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no idea what you are talking about with "Painfully Obvious" nor do I appreciate your snarky remarks.
You have had 3 people here try to help you (all for FREE I might ad - we dont work here or for Adobe)

So we are offering our suggestions, ideas, etc. based on our decades of expertise. 
Some things just are NOT possible. So either use the spacebar key to pan, or use the center of the mouse and scroll. Otherwise its NOT possible. You are so welcome!

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines