• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do custom menu shortcuts require the addition of the ctrl key?

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi so this requires a little explanation:

I draw on a laptop that folds over the keyboard so I don't have access to any keyboard shortcuts, to remedy this I have a custom programmed numpad that I use instead. My college class is having me paint with Photoshop so I'm setting up my shortcuts to match my numpad and when I tried to assign the "undo" command to the letter "a" on my numpad it told me I have to use the ctrl key in my shortcut.

Is there any way to bypass this? This is the first time I've ever encountered a drawing program that forces me to use a combination of keys for a shortcut and I have no idea why they would put this limiting factor in place?? I tried searching around on the internet but couldn't find anyone else asking this question so I'm hoping somebody here could give me their thoughts on this.

I am incredibly frustrated by this pointless limitation

(Attached is a screenshot of the error when I try to make the shortcut for undo just "a")

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I try to make the shortcut for undo just 'a' "

Hi

You can only customize any application in ways that the developers allows customization. The message that you got says you need to include either the Control key or an F key. The keyboard shortcut "A" is assigned to the Path Selection tool and the Direct Selection tool.

D3F8923C-A693-4856-9375-858718874EEE.jpeg

This is a user-to-user forum answered by volunteers. You can make this request to Adobe developers here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feedback site doesnt exist any more… but this seemingly arbitrary limitation is really frustrating. I am putting together a 128 key control surface for my design applications and would really benefit from being able to add whatever shortcuts I choose. Super frustrating to be required to use command (on mac) in the shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Forum now features »Bugs« and »Ideas«. 

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 10.05.25.png

I fail to see what is so strange about this particular restriction … which naturally doesn’t mean others won’t agree with you … which in turn also doesn’t mean a Feature Request would be implemented … 

But even if pressing cmd doesn’t annoy me I have to concede that Photoshop’s Keyboard Shortcuts are a bit of an unfortunate mix of customisable and non-customisable. 

What exactly do you mean by »my design applications«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nathanc88157032 wrote:

The feedback site doesnt exist any more…

In addition to what @c.pfaffenbichler said, the feedback forum merged with this one yesterday on 31 August and you are responding to a post from a year ago when it was a separate forum.

I use a lot of software and can only customize what I am allowed to in any of the applications I use. None of them allow total control.

Start a new thread and tag it as an Idea.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines