Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do my image sizes keep changing

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 2.0.1 on a Mac running OS Monterey

I set a size for the image but then, whenever I do anything, that size changes.  I can set the image size at 297mm x 211mm and then, after I have made any alteration to the image, it changes to a totally different size (have attached an example).

Can anyone please tell me what the problem is or what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks

PaulPhotoshop sizing problem.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

You need to watch the pixel dimensions. Photoshop basically has no concept of "size" - it only works with pixels. Pixels have no size, they are just data points.

A physical size is set by the simple formula "pixels per inch" (ppi). Setting a ppi number translates from pixels into a physical size.

Uncheck "resample image"! This uses the ppi number to scale the image up or down. In effect, it reverses the formula.

In short - as long as the pixel dimensions don't change, the file itself is un

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to watch the pixel dimensions. Photoshop basically has no concept of "size" - it only works with pixels. Pixels have no size, they are just data points.

A physical size is set by the simple formula "pixels per inch" (ppi). Setting a ppi number translates from pixels into a physical size.

Uncheck "resample image"! This uses the ppi number to scale the image up or down. In effect, it reverses the formula.

In short - as long as the pixel dimensions don't change, the file itself is unchanged. The key to unlocking this whole thing is in those three words: pixels per inch. It means exactly what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for that.  I'm now 73 and try to keep up with technology etc but sometimes, I appear to be a little slower on the uptake.

I do appreciate your help

Kindest regards

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

omg, you just explaned my years old question. i guess i was using points and inches in PC, but i was using pixel in MAC. and i thought for years it was MAC prob! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! i had to leave the comments for ya. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines