• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop save a BMP file along with the PSD when scanning?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I scan a document or image into Photoshop and save it as .psd, I end up with a .bmp file of the same scanned document or image. And it's a really huge one too. I don't have problems opening the .psd file if the .bmp is deleted. But, why does this happen and how do I fix it?  I'm using the latest trial version of Photoshop on Windows 10.

Thanks,

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Photoshop itself does not scan.

If we are talking about the WIA interface, then scanning is carried out directly through the driver, so the scanning profiles specified in the scanner software or the operating system (including specifying the saving format) do not work. The scanner simply receives the "scan" request and outputs the data in a "raw" format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the WIA interfce.

So, is there a way to stop this from happening, or is deleting the .bmp after saving as .psd my only option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I very rarely get scans through Photoshop.

To be honest, I very rarely get scans through Photoshop and I can not unequivocally answer your question. Most scanners come with drivers and utilities that can change the file format on the fly, perform other pre-processing, and save scans to a specified folder. There are also excellent batch scanning programs like NAPS2

I prefer to work this way.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WIA saves files in the BMP format by default, and there are no options for other formats.

Other scanning options are also extremely limited, and I suggest that you use the standalone scanning software that came with your scanner instead, or a third party solution, like VueScan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines