• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why in Adjustment Layer Brightness/Contrast in PS checkbox "Use Legacy" does not affect on result?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to find that when using an adjustment layer, the Legacy checkbox does not switch the function to the old mode. As I understand it, Legacy mode is simply not available through an adjustment layer (except for files created in older versions of PS). Then it's an interface flaw if I can include the selector itself, but it doesn't affect the algorithm?
Note: Through the main menu of Legacy, the mode is correctly turned on and off

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does switch and produces different result from my testing. Can you show us comparison like one below?

legacy.jpgno legacy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this attached file
Result main menu:

Oleg29648376dbg1_0-1689833079155.png

Result adjustment level:

Oleg29648376dbg1_1-1689833156828.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say what? 

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.23.47.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 at 10.23.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
And through Image - Adjustment - Brightness/Contrast with Legacy PS will work correctly according to the old pre-CS3-algorithm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I had misunderstood your description. 

You are correct that the Brightness Contrast »Use Legacy« setting has a different effect when applied destructively and when applied as an Adjustment Layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say this - Legacy cannot be applied through an adjustment layer for a file created with at least PS 20.0. At the same time, its checkbox is present and I have a question - what can I turn it on / off - is this a flaw in the interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking »Use Legacy« makes a difference (compare my screenshots from before) – so something is being done, apparently not what should be done … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it gets even more interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was so focused on the contrast that I did not pay attention - yes, the brightness range changes from -150..150 to -100..100. But CONTRAST, as we have seen, works in an adjustment layer incomprehensibly when Legacy is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The legacy mode, just to clarify what it is, is a plain offset of values that will clip high and low values. The current mode uses a curve instead, with a falloff so that highlights and shadows are protected.

Either mode is easily reproduced by Levels or Curves, both of which give much more control over the final result. Brightness/Contrast is a blunt instrument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in no way questioning the benefits of the current version of Brightness/Contrast.
However, it is often more convenient for me to use Legacy to correct masks through a script.
This post is about the strange behavior of the Legacy checkbox in an adjustment layer.
If it is left in the interface as a signal to the user of the file which of the algorithms will be used by this layer - then why can it be turned on / off since it does not affect anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines