• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the checkered pattern not appearing when I cut out a picture with Magic Wand?

New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially I am pressing Layer Mask and a light grey line is appearing around my cut out. And then I go back where I pressed Layer Mask and it is now saying Vector Mask. I am confused and for the life of me can not get my checkered patterns to complete the process and move it into a different document! Can you help me please??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Hi

A couple of principles that may help you

Where a mask is white the pixels on the associated layer will be visible

Where a mask is black the pixels on the associated layer will be hidden, allowing the layer(s) below to show through

So if you make a selection of the object then use - Layer>Layer Mask >Reveal Selection to add a mask

If you make a selection of the background that you want to hide, use Layer >Layer Mask>Hide Selection to add a mask

You can adjust a mask later by clicking on it and paint

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As before what? Icon what? channel what? I just need the light cut out with no white boarder. No tutorials needed not helping me.

Your screenshot from post 5 shows that you had applied a Layer Mask that revealed the white background and hid the object.

If you had alt-clicked that Layer Mask’s icon in the Layers Panel (and those terms seem to be far from unclear) you would have seen and been able to edit the Layer Mask just like any other Channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be an easier way for you

Open the image and select the Crop Tool and Crop the image

image1.jpg

Then select the Magic Eraser Tool and click on the White parts to remove them

image2.jpg

Result

image3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now have tried not deleting. I have my magic want on white or does this need to happen before layer mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Take a look at these tutorials, it will help you understand about Layer Mask

Use masks to hide layers in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.49.48 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.53.19 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you want to achieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could use "Blend If"

Go to fx and select Blending Options

fx.png

Then where it says Blend If press Alt and click on the slider to the right to separate them and adjust accordingly.

Blend-If.png

This should give you your desired effect.

bulb.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will get back to this in the next 2 hours...

Again, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, got to the first part cropping and this is the result... It won't allow me to crop like you have cropped it on your image... If I pull in sides in the middle it pulls in every side. Its weird. Any suggestions...

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 7.59.49 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press crop it shrinks it down to this size... Is this normal?

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 8.05.04 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of pictures to cut out I believe it is best if I can be directed on the proper way to do this. Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Your image is cropping to the proportions you have in the settings as shown in your screen shot. Just below the Red, Yellow and Green circles in the upper left corner are the crop tool settings... 59mm x 59mm. Clear those settings > click and drag the crop tool to what you want.

2. The best way to learn how to cut out backgrounds is to learn the different methods and practice. There are many ways to knock out backgrounds in Photoshop and the best method to use depends on the complexity of your original image. Do you have access to Lynda.com tutorials? Check out this clip: Photoshop tutorial: Removing and modifying a background | lynda.com - YouTube

3. Proficiency with Photoshop takes many - many hours of use... while we can help guide you with what tools to learn there are How to get started tutorials within Photoshop that will be faster than waiting for responses in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cropped and Clipped THANK YOU.

I will now check out tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines