• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Photoshop 2023 V24 just randomly closes!

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2023 V24 = Garbage! Windows Photoshop 2023 V24 just randomly closes! We're back to random crashes again! 

C'mon Adobe GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!
Rolling back to 23.5.2, I have work to get done!

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Screenshot 2022-10-20 121259.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knoew something was up when the file associations as well had to be manually reapplied.

Adobe, seriously you have billions of doallars how do these products get puit out into the wild so buggy?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html That will help us diagnose the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can second and third that, there is no crash report, no warning, it just closes, pow.  And nothing.  For me it is happening 10-15 times a day, literally.  It just happened a few seconds ago yet again.  This behavior started right after the fix that got the object find tool to run efficiently.  I'm on 24.01 the very latest updates.  This is a REAL problem.  And I don't know how to debug or what to send since there is no report or log of anything.  I'll be happy to help but need some guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's becassue Photoshop 24 just crashes and does not even present the crash reporting dialog box.
Sorry, I am not a beta tester. I have to get back to work with 23.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can second this doesn't provide a crash report 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU do you have? Most often this is the GPU driver crashing.

FWIW, v24 has been rock solid for me this far, and I use it 8 hours a day (and then some more when I come home from work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll amuse you.

Nvida GTX 1080 Ti
Studio Driver 522.30 - 2022.10.18
I have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti coming next week. 

But either way that's not the issue. PS Version 23.5.2 works fine on my Alienware Area 51 R5 FW 2.0.7 with an i9 Extreme Processor and 64 GB RAM.

This is a very powerful, and current system.

Screenshot 2022-10-20 225305.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a very similar Alienware, i9, 128 Gb, it's a beast and it has literally never blue screened or crashed, and I am getting the precise same behavior you are seeing with 24, 23 was rock solid.

And just FYI, I am also running 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, ZBrush, Blender, and Mari and none of them are behaving like this.  The issue seems to be totally isolated to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on PS V24.0.1 now and it seems more stable, though it has hung and crashed on very large PSD files (365MB) with many layers and auto recovery did work. But no crash reporting.

I just hate that when I am working on big files that I have to constantly select save because I can't trust the software to be stable.

NVIDIA Studio Driver - WHQL

Driver Version: 527.56 - Release Date: Thu Dec 08, 2022

Nvidia.jpg

System.jpg

PS Graphics Settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in a space of a full shift 8 hours it must do it 4 times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the GPU in PS preferences and see if the crashing stops. If so, it can probably be narrowed down further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also once closed down I can't re open it again for ages 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, remember that Photoshop runs on top of your operating system, your hardware, and their drivers. All of them need to work correctly together, be powerful enough, etc.

Ps 24 has newer options, on windows preferences that deal about stability and GPU mode: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/whats-new/2023.html#other-enhancements

If you tried the more stable and older GPU mode, you can also try  to check "Deactivate Native Canvas" in the menu Edit/Preferences/Technology preview, then restart Photoshop.

If you can, please post the contents of Photoshop's Help>System Info... menu, so that we get to know your OS, its version, the exact version of Photoshop you are running, the date of the GPU driver, etc.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reinstalled PS24 for kicks and giggles and it still crashes! I got a crash dialog box this time. But the second time no dialog box PS 24 just closes.

Also after installing PS 24 the file assoications for PS 24 don't work and you have to manually assign it in Win Expolrer to always open with PS.

This is also with a brand new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti.

Going back to 23.5.2 which works perfectly. So YES something is WRONG with 24.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 120414.jpg

<system platform="Windows 10 Pro" osversion="10.0" osbuild="19045" applicationlanguage="en-us" userlanguage="en-US" oslanguage="en-US" ram="65410" machine="Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7980XE CPU @ 2.60GHz" model="Intel64 Family 6 Model 85 Stepping 4" cpuCount="36" cpuType="8664" cpuFreq="2592 MHz" processorArchitecture="9"/>
<gpu>
<gpuinfo availability="Running/Full Power" adapterCompatibility="NVIDIA" adapterRAM="4095 MB" caption="NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti" description="NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti" driverDate="20221012000000.000000-000" driverVersion="31.0.15.2230" videoModeDescription="3840 x 2160 x 4294967296 colors" pnpDeviceID="PCI&#92;VEN_10DE&#38;DEV_2203&#38;SUBSYS_161810DE&#38;REV_A1&#92;4&#38;D17DF1F&#38;0&#38;0000" installedDisplayDrivers="nvldumdx.dll"/>
</gpu>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They always blame it on our Graphics card or our PC as to an Adobe issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to disble the GPU to see if the crashing stops? Or have you just made up your mind already?

@Viscott  I can't help but notice that this is a Dell gaming pc. I wouldn't be surprised if Dell installed something that interferes with Photoshop - Dell is notorious for filling their machines up with all kinds of "helpful" software. I had a Dell laptop once, and it was a nightmare to clean up. Once I did, however, it worked well.

You can take this any way you want, but v24 has been rock solid for me on two machines. One has a Quadro P2200, and the other an RTX 3060. In fact, I haven't seen a crash or freeze or any problem for so many years now that I can't even recall when it could have been. This is bedrock solid.

Every Photoshop version puts more and more load on the GPU: New functions, new calls, new error-checking code. It may not require much in terms of brute horsepower, but it does rely on a lot of advanced functions that just need to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i tried to disable the GPU no difference, surely if its happening with a few people it's an Adobe bug and there is no crash report prompt, I will have to revert back for now I think. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a 3060 so can't blame the GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a common argument that "only Photoshop crashes", but that does not necessarily mean Photoshop causes it. Latent problems often turn up using certain software that just happens to have functions and calls that trigger it.

So the next step is to look at plugins/extensions, other component drivers, and perhaps other installed software. If this is an off-the-shelf, preinstalled system, I know where I would start. I'd weed out any piece of software I didn't need, and I'd go through the startup list and disable as much as possible. As I implied above, it is sometimes amazing how much junkware these vendors manage to cram in.

Oh, and if you're working with text when it crashes, it could be a corrupt font.

Mind you, I'm not saying Photoshop can't have bugs. It does. But extensive crashing like this really points to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh the old Dell puts bloatware response to a problem. Yeah, you know it came with AOL and Compuserve and the 56K modem was a little slow, and I had problems with my Creative Labs CD-ROM drivers working initally too.

And you knew that this was a clean install of Windows that I did? Right? 

Give me a break! It's not 1995! It's 2022.

Alienware Computers don't come with any bloattware, they are high performnance machines built for intensive processing and graphics. Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7980XE CPU @ 2.60GHz and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, 64GB of RAM on a onbard SSD just can't handle V24? What? But 23 is ok? 

A previous version of PS works perfectly and a new version dosen't so it must be the computer. Time to work on a new response to an Adobe problem. This ALWAYS Happens with a NEW version, ALWAYS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best thing for you is to post in the "bugs"subsection on the forum, preferably with a reproducible chain of events leading to a crash. Include system info from Help > System Info. Just paste the whole thing. Also submit crash reports to Adobe, where engineers can retrieve them and maybe even answer you directly in the forum.

I don't really know what else to say. I have v24 working perfectly on two machines, not a single issue. And I should emphasize that I'm using Photoshop professionally, 8 hours a day and then some.

Bottom line is that there has to be an explanation somewhere, since none of us forum regulars have these problems (and we haven't seen all that many posts like yours either, apart from in this thread). Of course, the definition of a bug is something that happens to some users some of the time, not all users all of the time. Then it would have been weeded out long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting Photoshop (the later version that you'd like to use)?

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same crashes with v24. cleaning preferenses/settings does NOT HELP, waste of time...v23.5 works stable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here with RTX 3070 and 32GB Ram, Crashes and makes the whole system restart itself as the screen goes black just because of 2 Artboards (1080p artboards)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines