• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom to 'Print Size' feature completely removed from Photoshop 13.0.2

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe decided to remove the 'Print Size' button/option from the 'Zoom' tool in Photoshop 13.0.2

I use this heavily as I run a print lab and I often need to show people on screen what the size of their print will be (I have set the correct ppi for each display in preferences).

I am absolutely amazed they could remove a feature like this without any warning in a minor update. The irony is that for the first time ever retina displays have enough resolution to assess sharpness without going to 100% and the 'View Print Size' is more useful that ever before.

I will probably have to roll back to the last Photoshop version on all systems but before I do, does anyone know if there is a way to get the 'Print Size' option back???

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is this thread about?! 

i mean the PRINT SIZE PREVIEW.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but I just wanted to be sure, since your post followed immediatly after mine.

"removed it"; what 'it' are we talking about? Common error in communications.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone... here is a link to another forum which an Adobe employee has given the reason why they removed the "view at print size" feature. It sounds like it is a temporary feature removal until Adobe is able to put together a solution for how to render and use the feature for HiDPI displays like the MacBook Pros with Retina. Look for the comments by Chris Cox. If we are patient, they are currently working on a solution. Yes, it seems unfair to penalize those without HiDPI displays... but I am confident they will restore this feature once it has been corrected for proper rendering on HiDPI displays.

Photoshop: Missing Print Size Button After CS 6 (13.0.2/13.1) Upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gblair123 wrote:

Yes, it seems unfair to penalize those without HiDPI displays... but I am confident they will restore this feature once it has been corrected for proper rendering on HiDPI displays.

Interestingly, note that PC users have not gotten a 13.0.2 update, presumably to reduce the number "penalized" by this change.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have, Noel. Every user on the Cloud presumably has, and I believe you are not doing subscription to the Cloud, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lawrence, correct me if I'm wrong, but you got 13.1 via your cloud subscription, right, not 13.0.2?

13.0.1 is still current for non-cloud users.

I may move up to a cloud subscription, we'll see.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, 13.1.

But between the dropped Zoom to Print and the dropped Uncommitted in Crop; actually I call it a crippled crop because free cropping is a pain to negotiate (hasn't anyone at Adobe ever used cropping L's?), I may have to go back (if possible) to 13.0.2, or even CS5. We will see what happens in this new shoot I'm doing. It's big enough to consider LR instead, which I will look at at least to see if Crop works better there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest working with the 13.1 Crop Tool for a while.  There may be ways to do what you want that you haven't discovered yet.

I didn't use "Zoom to Print Size" much, but when I did I appreciated having it.  Did none of the scripts posted in that other thread work as an acceptable substitute?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the Scripts work completely, unfortunately.

The only answer to the Print-size issue is not to Update beyond 13.0.1 at this time if you need this function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the rsolution in Print Size box to that of the screen Size res, then hitting 100% will do the trick with a minimum of fuss. And some here know how I hate to fuss with the software!

The only caveat is to remember to change back to the original size b4 saving!

Perhaps an Action to do this, with a final step that restores original dimentions can be constructed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect, given the problems with opening existing PSD files that were introduced in 13.1, that Adobe may be rushing through preparing a new 13.1.1 version.  Whether they might consider reinstating Zoom to Print Size is anyone's guess, but I suspect not.  A highly responsive software organization would certainly consider doing so.

Noting that they actually DID return some of the prior 12.x functionality to the Crop Tool in 13.1, it's clear that Adobe DOES listen to its customers.  Bravo for that!

Adobe developers and managers should ponder this:  If you cannot respond like a small development organization, where you could fix a new problem in mere weeks (or even a few days if a really serious problem is found) then your process is bloated with things it does not need and which do not help with your business.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about returning some of the functionality from 12. in Crop. But it is still way to expensive (time wise). Thank you, Adobe.

I would encourage them to think Easel rather than crop, or at least Easel when it comes to configuring the tool. Easels have marks for known proportions but you can override them with a turn of the knob.

Analog process has it's advantages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the 13.0.3 hoping that Adobe might have restored this critical feature but alas no... we remain lost and eagerly await a solution from our friends in San Jose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Cloud It's 13.1.1. Zoom to print size not restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you on Mac platforms, and with Time Machine running, you can back up to 13.0.1 by activating Time Machine, back up to a date before the release of 13.0.2, and restore to the previous version from there.

This works on a PC if you are using some form of automatic back up like Acronis True Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not installed 13.0.3 because I feared that Print Size View had not yet been replaced and now learn that it hasn't.

At least a Script (which   provides an interim solution until the Print Size View is restored) has now been posted.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-print-size-button-zoom.html

However, when Print Size View does get fixed, please don't let us have any nonsense about this being a Cloudies-Only Upgrade because this will NOT be a "new feature" but simply a replacement of a pre-existing feature which was wrongfully removed from CS6 in mid-cycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right! "Navigate to the scripts folder...." Ok, I did. What happens? I get a message that tells me the ratio between 360 )my default) and 95 (my screen) is 26.39%. Then I get to set it, first by clearing the % box then entering it!

Real time saver, including having to run around in a Search function to find it.

It's saving grace is that there is no need to change the print resolution to screen res, and accidentally saving (or invoking autosave) to the wrong resolution.

The original print to size button did this for you, so what's with the lame script? Can not the script set the resolution as well as playing calculator?

Oh, right! Then the only step left would be to add the button, for which the assign a hotkey is substituted.

Give us the comlete script, we can do the rest as to assigning a hot key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting problem showed up.The two methods are not equal, even though the final size is the same.

I set an image to 16"L @360ppi, 26.39%. The length is correct, measured with a straight edge on the screen. The overall quality is what I was expecting after sharpening.

Now I revert to my method, setting the Image length to16" but now the resolution to 95px (my setting in prefs) and the % to 100. Again, the image is 16" as measured with the straight edge, but the image looks way oversharpened.

So, there is something else happening. Theoretically 95/360x100=26.388888, rounded to 26.39, exactly as predicted, resulting at an image at 35px, 100%.

Or is it?

I suspect a difference in the sampling algorithm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really don't want to be downsampling your image data in order to get it to show at print size on the screen, Lawrence.  Is that what you're doing?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS6 running on my MacPro and on a MacBook Air.  The air is only used when I travel so no license conflict.  I am continually updating the air to see when the "print size" feature reappears.  My MacPro is staying on 13.0.1 until it does. I don't need a workaround, I need the actual feature.  I use the "print screen" feature with each of my clients prior to printing their fine art prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree heartily! I am working right now on that with my SO and some Christmas prining! She doesn't understand why I have to mess so much!

But, any port in a storm....and the ability to steer the ship!

Merry Christmas, folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, temporarily, which means I have to be diligent about setting it back, which one doesn't have to if you use the % method. I routinely reset print res to accommodate different sizes, especially when proofing so it would not be out of my operating envelope to set and reset sizes and resolutions.

But it is a bit of a danger!

The bottom line tho, is to see an image at exactly 16", say measured on screen, the print pixel setting has to match the screen setting, AFAIK anyway!

Do you think a script could be written such that, after determining the pixel screen size, the script would finish the job and reset the image directly to the desired physical size? Might be faster than waiting on Adobe to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Photoshop has thwarted all attempts to make a script to do the proper level of display zooming.

I can't begin to imagine the justification for removing all ability to control Photoshop's zoom level.  Usually when software folks take out features they leave all the infrastructure in place and just change the UI.  Apparently this time was not like that.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Yes, temporarily, which means I have to be diligent about setting it back, which one doesn't have to if you use the % method. I routinely reset print res to accommodate different sizes, especially when proofing so it would not be out of my operating envelope to set and reset sizes and resolutions.

But it is a bit of a danger!

There's no danger if you do Image > Duplicate then resize the duplicate document. The duplicate document will not save over the precious original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've considered that also, which is why I was doing the either-or test for quality. I also tried Convert to Smart Object setup but it doesn't work for this use.

It is a puzzlement that setting resolution to screen res in resize winds up looking different than setting %. After all, when we Save for Web, we do down res by the same method, ie pick the resolution manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines