• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add sampled color to the burn tool, but still limit to shadow, midtones or highlights for pt or fill

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as stated in the title, I've been using PS since 3.0. I taught it in college for twenty-five years and I'm still waiting for this feature. I know you can do this. Frequently, I want to burn in just shadows, midtones or highlights, but being confined to black, or gray looks very unnatural. It would be so nice to sample the color in the area and use that color combined with gray to burn in just the shadows, midtones, or highlights. If there's a simple workaround already in PS, please let me know.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The command would be Burn to Color. You can always burn in and then paint over the area with a brush set to Color blend mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this – create a new Layer over your image and fill it with 50% grey (Edit > Fill)
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 21.27.38.png
then give it a blending mode of Overlay.You can then use the Dodge tool on that layer to lighten any areas of the original image and the Burn tool to darken any parts you want darkened, all non-destructively.

Votes

Translate

Translate