• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get colors from library into swatches?

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator I can right-click on the color in my library and select "add to swatches". I do not see that option for Photoshop. I've been doing a workaround of making a square and using the eyedropper, then adding the color to swatches. Or I write down the hex code and manually enter it in. 

There has to be a better, more efficient way to work with the libraries. 

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
51 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the hint @PECourtejoie, click-dragging over to the library-swatches works. Still this functionality should get improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is crazy.

I have my brand colors saved in a Colors folder in my Libraries.

But for the life of me cannot figure out how to use them for anything. 

Once in the Color Picker window, how do you select a color saved in your Library?

Hint, they are not in the Color Libraries within the Color Picker window.

Crazy right??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteWow, this is crazy.

I have my brand colors saved in a Colors folder in my Libraries.

But for the life of me cannot figure out how to use them for anything. 

Once in the Color Picker window, how do you select a color saved in your Library?

Hint, they are not in the Color Libraries within the Color Picker window.

Crazy right??? 

CC Libraries and Color Libraries are different things. 

You could create a Solid Color Layer and then click the Color Swatch in the Libraries Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about changing the color of a Gradient layer?
Can I not access my saved colors from the Color Picker panel?

--
CAMERON VAUGHAN
VIDEOGRAPHER

EMERY SAPP & SONS

[Phone numbers removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally share your frustration. Although I see the benefit of the new CC library system. Managing all brand assets and syncing them with the could makes of sense. What does not make any sense from the user perspective is the CC library systems not being able to talk to the native application components across the creative suite not just in Photoshop. The argument that you need to import every color into the application library one by one before you are able to use it across the application natively simply does not fly with users. It is more than logical users want the ability the drag and drop colors from the cc library panel straight into the Gradient tools. Recolor tool (Illustrator), Color Overlay Layer Style (Photoshop), or import a group of colors, just to name a few. People who are trying to convince users that there is nothing wrong with how the cc library system currently works are not fooling anyone but themselves. Adobe simply introduced a new system without making sure it fully integrates with legacy systems hoping nobody would notice. Well… we notice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having difficulties using the Library colors in Photoshop. It is super easy in Illustrator. I'm having to make a filled shape with the color from the library, then add it to my swatches. It's an extra step that shouldn't be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to make progress by watching this YouTube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-arOm4DwVI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I found this. I'm trying to create a gradient map, and I thought I could click on the colours saved in my CC Library, and it would load into the gradient palette. But no! The way it works (that's a relative term) feels a bit pointless as it stands. It certainly doesn't improve workflow. 

There's so much that Adobe has recently done that feels like 'features for feature's sake'. Sharing, anyone? (Which they are now rowing back on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As »Idea« this has garnered three votes in about two years, so it seems that this might just not affect that many Photoshop users. (Which is not to say that the feature could not or should not be improved.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Probably because most sensible people worked out instantly that the feature is ornamental rather than functional. The real irony? As I was loading each swatch into Photoshop to utilise them, it automatically loaded them back into the Libraries panel until I unchecked it in the add swatches panel. F*cking hilarious! To think. I could have doubled up on swatches in my Libraries that I could use simply and seamlessly with native apps. A real boon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, why so many steps when the color is staring me in the face? Why can't it be one-click and add like it is in ullustrator? This is simply unreal for a feature that is literally the most used feature of the program.  There should be five different one click options for adding or changing colors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's mind-blowing is that in all the years PS and Ai have been around no one thought, "Hey why don't we make changing colors as easy in PS as it is in Ai?" Literally unreal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is simply unreal for a feature that is literally the most used feature of the program. 

I suspect a lot of Photoshop users barely (or even not at all) use the Libraries for storing color swatches because when using Photoshop to retouch photographic images color swatches can play a negligible role. 

So »most used feature of the program« seems quite strange to me in this case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's mind-blowing is that in all the years PS and Ai have been around no one thought, "Hey why don't we make changing colors as easy in PS as it is in Ai?" Literally unreal. 

What are you talking about here? 

Please elaborate, ideally with the help of screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if it could very easily be made more efficient or dare I say, lessen the learning curve, why not make it an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an ongoing thread, not necessarily specific to me. I replied to another reply but I've had multiple similar experiences. I eventually solved my specific problems but it's a larger question about the easy of use of the library/color features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of specific questions about this might indicate frustration or simply not know how to correctly describe the issue? My background is manifacturing at Toyota and the problem assessment is as critical a step to problem solution as the solution itself. For me specifically, viewing any process from an efficiency perspective is 2nd nature, particularly one that may involve multiple internal customers and an actual end customer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive my poor typing. It's been a long night. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (139).png

Someone understood the need for seamless integration in fresco but didn't consider it for photoshop?

At the moment i'm currently frustrated at how annoying it is to add swatches to libraries for fresco. Why do I have to drag one at time? Why can't I just right click a group and add it to my library? why can't i drag the group? Why can't i drag multiple selected swatches to the library?

Do the devs not use these features? I don't understand why this has been a problem for years. This exactly why I stopped using librarys cause it's just so badly integrated. Now I need it and it's annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect a lot of Photoshop users barely (or even not at all) use the Libraries for storing color swatches because when using Photoshop to retouch photographic images color swatches can play a negligible role. 

So »most used feature of the program« seems quite strange to me in this case. 

By @c.pfaffenbichler 

This feels like a case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing, but artists do a lot with photoshop. Regardless of how much adobe like to push artists away from photoshop for drawing and painting a lot of people still use it for that. 

I dunno why adobe likes to ignore people use photoshop for things other than photos where swatches are crucial.

EDIT: Also on your point about not many upvotes, I had this problem years ago and simply decided to not use the function than fuss about it. This is core product offering and part of justifying the subscription. 

It shouldn't take years for basic usability. 

I'm just annoyed now cause i'm forced to use it to get colors in fresco. I'd wager 90% of users look at a bad new feature and rather than bother with it just do what they've always done. If they wanna back up switches they just export it and put it in a dropbox. Cause the adobe solution is just a pain in ass.

Or maybe they suffered through it the one time they needed it. I don't think anything on this forum is representative of how big a problem is cause most people won't put in the time to complain unless it's REALLY REALLY in the way.

EDIT2: Like even the most upvoted thing on this site is like 500 upvotes for a program used by tens of millions. It's rare for stuff on this site to crack 100 after a DECADE. IMO anything with even 5 upvotes on this site should be considered a big problem.cause there could be hudreds of thousands of users with that problem who just aren't on this website willing to complain.

Maybe this is why people say photoshop updates are stagnant. They're reading the room wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sacb0y , those that don’t »speak up« should not be surprised about not »being heard«. 

And ideally nobody should make nonsensical claims – when someone calls Photoshop swatches the »most used feature of the program« it seems hard to take that seriously to me. 

That’s not to dispute that CC Libraries and other Panels don’t seem to »harmonize« very well yet – so there is certainly room for improvement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a dumb mentality from a product standpoint. The fact anyone takes the time to complain here is a blessing. Not like this site has tons of engagement.

search deviant art for swatches, gumroad. Plenty of sites.

Swatches are core for artists, thats why fresco was designed in a way that makes sense. Unless Photoshop has given up artists to clip studio and procreate.

And the problems with libraries has been there for at least 5 years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a dumb mentality from a product standpoint. The fact anyone takes the time to complain here is a blessing. Not like this site has tons of engagement.

I essentially stated that not voicing complaints/wishes/… will likely not lead to those being addressed. 

Could it be that you misunderstood the statement or are you referring to something else? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because, if I want to use it in the Gradient, I'm only able to use colors from the swatch panel. Adobe tools recoloring method is a garbage, I'm sorry. But Figma made it so simply and now, I'm demanding the same simplicity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally. I thought, I'm the only silly guy who's trying to find out the libraries benefits. I guess they had this idea initially, but never finished. At the moment, library has no advantages. Too many clicks to recolor something in Ai and in Gradients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate