• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to remove specific files from the "recent" pane of the Home Screen [2018]

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's that, a simple remove, even with a right click would do.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
56 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the pain is real

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is recents pain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select File > Open Recent > Clear Recent File List... should remove all recent files from that menu and the start screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's what the user wants. At least, I'm quite sure it's not what I want. I want to be able to remove those files in the Recent Files list that are not useful anymore (Start Screen OR within PS proper—miss that panel<sigh>), so I can keep those that might be relevant to any project I'm working on. If one project is interrupted by others, the project file (or files) is gone, scrolled away, even when allowing a fair number of files to be in the list. Or it just gets difficult to know which version of a file you want when it's buried in amongst a number of other, very similar files.

The Recent Files list could be very powerful, but as implemented, not so much. I could always put everything into  Libraries and remember to drag them out again properly to embed, not link, them. But I'm not sure Libraries is the right solution to replace Recent Files. While I use Libraries a lot for quick access to small files, I don't think they're ideal for large multi-layered files. Recent Files is.

And obviously, since I use them a LOT in ID, I'd want the change to be Adobe-wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you choose 'New', you get a dialog with all the new documents you created recently. I made a typo once, so I created a new document of 3000 x 2 pixels instead of 3000 x 2000 pixels. I'd like to remove that one from the dialog but I can't.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume he meant 'pane'.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the request is to remove "specific" files from the recent files list (and for John, remove specific recent documents from the new document dialog - which may need a separate topic for conciseness)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Recent Files list can be filtered more precisely using the Sort function and the "Filter recent files" function. (See image below.)

However, the function that seems to be wanted is already available in ADOBE BRIDGE using the "Collections" and "Smart Collections" function.

In Adobe Bridge, one is not limited to listing only recent Photoshop files. A custom Collection can hold visual links to Illustrator files, Photoshop files, InDesign files or any file that Bridge is capable of interfacing with. It is a great tool for organizing the files of complex, multi-faceted projects. If you use key words with files or have other ways that files can be grouped, the Smart Collections function can be used. It is basically a way to save a specified search query as a dynamic folder. As files are created that match the search criteria, they appear in the Smart Collection folder automatically. With regular Collections, the files are added manually. A great feature is that the files stay in their original locations and appear in the Collection as a thumbnail that is linked to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> As files are created that match the search criteria, they appear in the Smart Collection folder automatically.>
In theory, Smart Collections are great. But they can also be dreadfully slow.

Regular Collections (which I use more often) have another problem. If you rewrite the contents too much (however often the Collection decides that is), you can close with 72 files in the collection one night, then open again in the morning with 64 files. And if you move files that the Collection knows should be there (according to its manifest), it gets a trifle grumpy.
So I'm not sure if Collections would suit me or not inside the Recent Files List. It might be a bit of overkill just to be able to do away with 14 or 15 files that are crowding out the 7 or 8 I want. A right click on "go away" would probably be all I really needed out of it. Maybe a right-click on "keep me" would also work. Maybe both. <BG>

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you modify/edit the list of files on the Home Screen? I have found suggestions for turning on/off the Home Screen; or limiting/expanding the number of files shown - but nothing on editing which files remain. So if I have missed something could someone explain how to remove files which no longer need to take up "quick access" space on the Home Screen(s)?

It would seem the whole idea of a "Home Screen", with easy access to files important for the user, seems misguided when controlled as "recent", "name", or "size", without being able to delete irrelevant files. What is useful are files I want to get back to quickly. So for instance, if I opened/saved 4 versions of a file (call it "Picture 1") during the editing process, moved on (processed 15 other pictures with various saved versions), and now want to go back and open the final version of Picture 1 for a new project, I don't need to see all the preliminary versions of Picture 1. Cluttering up the Home Screen with the preliminary versions of the picture (which could well be grouped closely by any of the criteria) just takes up screen space and slows the visual search process.

A secondary question, if this information is readily available and I just missed it, could you explain where it is or how you find it. My searches for "Home screen" including adding "recent", "edit', or "delete" didn't turn up anything. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to edit the Recent list. But I think they designed it to be consistent with the way the Recent list works in other applications and in operating systems: You get the whole list, or you can clear the whole list, but not edit individual items. That’s not to say editing the Recent list is a bad idea, I actually wanted to do it today.

Someone has already requested this feature at the  Photoshop Feedback site, so you might want to vote for it and add to the discussion:

Ability to remove specific files from the "recent" pane of the Home screen

bobfnw  wrote

A secondary question, if this information is readily available and I just missed it, could you explain where it is or how you find it. My searches for "Home screen" including adding "recent", "edit', or "delete" didn't turn up anything. Thanks.

This might be because the wording just changed. Until the current version, it was called the Start screen. Only in the last few months have they called it the Home screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, although in my experience Amazon lets you edit recent items you've explored, Google lets you edit your search history, with a little bit of effort individual website cookies can be removed, various phone apps allow swipe-left to delete specific entries, or other desktop programs allow a rt-click to delete individual past subjects or sets of data. It seems Adobe could make it happen pretty easily if they wanted to be responsive. It would certainly take the HomeScreen to a useful point.

I'll mark your answer as correct since what I'm hearing is: I couldn't find it because Adobe doesn't have it as a feature. So unless someone else knows the secret handshake or a work around, we'll go with HomeScreen is marginally useful.

Thanks for answering both questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting here as a comment, a question I recently posted on another thread. The reason is that your reply seems to have focused this discussion on my concern. And in short, the other thread referred me to here to underpin the problem.

"How do you modify/edit the list of files on the Home Screen? I have found suggestions for turning on/off the Home Screen; or limiting/expanding the number of files shown - but nothing on editing which files remain. So if I have missed something could someone explain how to remove files which no longer need to take up "quick access" space on the Home Screen(s)? 

It would seem the whole idea of a "Home Screen", with easy access to files important for the user, seems misguided when controlled as "recent", "name", or "size", without being able to delete irrelevant files. What is useful are files I want to get back to quickly. So for instance, if I opened/saved 4 versions of a file (call it "Picture 1") during the editing process, moved on (processed 15 other pictures with various saved versions), and now want to go back and open the final version of Picture 1 for a new project, I don't need to see all the preliminary versions of Picture 1. Cluttering up the Home Screen with the preliminary versions of the picture (which could well be grouped closely by any of the criteria) just takes up screen space and slows the visual search process.

Since I have been told this is not a function and it would definitely make the HomeScreen far more useful, I urge an adjustment. A simple right-click should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, that's all fine and good ... IF a person uses Bridge or is familiar with how to use it. If not, though, they can't do what Cristen Gillespie and BobFNW (and I) are asking: simply remove one or more individual files from the Recents list in Photoshop itself while leaving others on the list. I would also like to see this commonsense feature added to Photoshop itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just want to be able to right click on an image in the PS CC recent files list and select delete. Simples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if I move/rename the file listed in recents, and then you click on it, it will tell you that the file can't be found, and it will remove it from the list.
Annoying having to do this with, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After two years of requests, it's about time that Adobe solved this for us.  There has to be a way.  My Recents list is entirely clogged, and housekeeping should be straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like having my recents shown, as it helps when I'm giving demos to be able to see recent files I've used in preparing for the demo. But yesterday, I did a focus stack project "edit as layers in Photoshop" from Lightroom, and my recent list is now completely filled with multiple copies of the focus stack images. That's not helpful at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super necessary... This link here is 6 years of people banging there heads against a wall for a feature that an intern could probably implement. One of my professors could write a lecture around this link about how a company can grow too large and stop listening to its customers.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-cc-removing-files-from-recent/td-p/5915006?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, though it was ironic. I edited it as it's getting users to misunderstand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, my friend, Adobe doesn't listen that much to users' feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frequently, not at all, I'm afraid.  But they're always talking about changes because "so many of you have requested it," so maybe the occcasional request penetrates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised that this is still not implemented, based on how often it seems to pop up.

This very small feature would be huge for both privacy and reducing clutter.

I stream or screen share Photoshop on a regular basis, and there are certain projects (such as secret updates I want to keep from my community) or personal photos (family portraits) that I simply don't want to accidentally reveal.

This leaves me with a couple of options, manually change the file location so that Photoshop deletes it from the Recents list, or hide my screen while opening files, and hope that photoshop doesn't crash to the starting screen.

Both of which are more of a pane than they should be. 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all seem to be whistling in the wind, but thanks for your comment, which is right on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep it simple and consistent with the way you select files in Windows File Explorer. After opening the Recent File List

1. Right Click on a file. 

Select option: Remove from Recent.

2. Ctrl + Click

Select files whether continuous or not by holding the Ctrl key down as you click.

After you are done selecting, Right Click & Select option: Remonve from Recent.

3. Shift + Click

Select a set of continuous files by holding the Shift key down and then clicking

on the first file in the set. Then scroll down to the last file in the set you want

to remove and while still holding the Shift key click on it. The selected set will

be highlighted.

Right click on the selected set and Select: Remove from Recents.

4. Enhance #3

Allow individual files in the set you want to remove from Recents by

Ctrl + Click on them. 

--sfoAlan

Votes

Translate

Translate