• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Center text vertically in bounding box (like InDesign)

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow text to be aligned vertically in a bounding box for text

This is the corresponding tool in InDesign

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been wanting this for years. Please Photoshop team ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Trisha and Windermere,

I happen to agree with you and have written a feature request for this.  Hopefully, we'll add this sooner than later.  User stories explaining why this is important are useful to raise the priority.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone wants a Vertical Align Text Tool! Not all text sits at the top of things... and that's why it would be so nice to have a tool where new lines of text would be appended upward, instead of downward. Clicking the "Middle" button on the Vertical Align Text Tool would cause new lines to be appended upward and downward from the initial insertion point. If a Text Square was dragged out, text will automatically center itself vertically in that space.

We have a Horizontal Align tool, why not a Vertical Align? It's 2012- this would be a nice CS6 feature!!! Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request:

Photoshop allows you to center text horizontally within a text box with the click of a button. Please add a similar button that allows users to center text vertically within the text box. (Or at the bottom of the text box, for that matter.)

Seems like pretty basic functionality... I was surprised to discover that users currently have to eyeball where the vertical center is, then rely on baseline shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to vertically center text within a paragraph box? If not, when will there be? It seems like a significant oversight and a relatively simple fix.

In my current case, the paragraph box is bent around an arc with the "Create warped text" feature. Also, I have a script that is inserting different text contents, so the process needs to be automated. It isn't practical to re-adjust the position of the text box, and the curvature of the arc for each of the 150 iterations. Writing a script to do that would be an overwhelming endeavor for me at this point.

Here's an example of what I'm working on. You can see the room for improvement. [link removed]

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're at version 20.0, and it's mind-boggling that such a simple feature has not been added to Photoshop yet. Without this it's pretty much impossible to work with Variables and Data Sets that can have varying line counts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please! I need this function as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I started using photoshop in 1991 and owned my first copy when it was a complementary tool best shared with the likes of kai's power tools/soap and fractal design Painter, software which was shipped in a beautiful 1 gallon paint can. 

I always assumed that it was easy enough to place text in the middle of a bounding box but I never bothered to figure out how to do it. I just fumbled around with the lower edge of the bounding box until it was close enough to the bottom that it would appear, more or less, centered. 

That this has actually never been addressed in photoshop strikes me as a classic example of how indignant developers can be ("That's not what this software is for!")

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems so simple to be able to centre text within a text area, but there is still no option to do this, why?
When creating button, etc it would make life soooo much easier to have this simple functionally.
People have been requesting this for years, please fix this issue.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want this in Photoshop CC. Please

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote from me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this. Is there a way to push this request from my professional account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need this. 
Please add to PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most basic thing to do in a text box in Microsoft Word. Why has it taken Adobe over 2 years to get this implemented? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is badly needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/psd-textbox-vertical-text-alignment/m-p/11925102#M525025

As I put it here with examples I also badly want this feature!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just wonder: Why haven‘t this tool still not found its way into Photoshop? Over 2 years later so many people stated that they need and want it so badly and still not here...

I posted a very detailed description last year why this would be important, you can find it here with examples. You can also reach out to me if sou have questions. I would so much love and make a happy dance when this feature is finally available!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/psd-textbox-vertical-text-alignment/m-p/11925102#M525025

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please dev team, we're dying for this! I create PSD templates for clients that need to be dummy proof, and I can easily set up a layout that will work with a text box that can be set to automatically vertically center the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please! I create a lot of templates that require this. It can be done in Id and Ai but not Ps for some odd reason. This would save hours of rework and provide a lot more consistency across our assets and the templates they are generated from. I have no idea why this has been overlooked for so many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find forum posts all over the internet from years and years ago of people asking for this. Please, Adobe. Help us out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WE NEED IT! We are waiting for years!
All who need it too, please upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just annoying trying to align a text since the fonts include empty space which makes aligning work incorrectly. I have to create a duplicate, rasterize it and then move it with the text object simultaneously. Any workaround on this would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the end of 2021 and it's still not a feature? Seems like it's pretty basic and would help a lot. Can we please get on this? I need this much more than I need an adobe stock plugin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please...

Votes

Translate

Translate