• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HEIC Support

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support HEIC images that are created using the new iOS?? I'm sure Apple didn't keep it a secret. Sounds like another pissing match between Adobe and Apple. Grow up and act like adults and support HEIC. 

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Stor

Votes

Translate

Translate
77 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIC is the file format name Apple has chosen for the new HEIF standard – and actually, with the new CC 2018 release that came out last month, "Photoshop now supports Apple's High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF)."

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Note that at this time, the format import is only available on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MANY teams count on Adobe products being cross-platform for Apple and Windows! HEIC SHOULD open in any latest version of PhotoShop. I have Creative Cloud and updated my PhotoShop this morning when I came across a HEIC photo file sent in from a team member in the field. Very disappointed to see the error message, "Camera Raw does not support HEIC on Windows." Boo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 2019 and I am hitting this roadblock as well as someone airdropped me some HEIC pictures.  Um ...  need HEIC support in my expensive Adobe products, people!!   Support it in PHOTOSHOP and CAMERA RAW please!!   My Windows 10 with the latest update supports viewing HEIC in windows Photos app.  Time for Adobe with its $$$Billions$$$ to get on board, that's why we pay the big prices, it's supposed to be the best, not second place lagging behind a free Microsoft app!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pfff, having the same trouble. I've owned Apples since the IIe and PC's since IBM's first pc, then the XT, then AT, etc... Apple has ALWAYS BEEN BEHIND.... except in Marketing. My favorite (sigh) was the beautiful clear mouse I got with my dual cpu G4 I needed for audio mixing. No scroller, just one button.  Can't have that scrollpad that the PC's already had for a couple of years as it might take away from the beauty of that sleek mouse. Of course they finally gave way and added the scroller to the mouse a couple of years later... again behind the times.  They wow the younger folks with form before function... always.  Me? I like function before form as I need to actually get work done. Time to stop being fancy Apple and just keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange this is still an issue, 2 years after this format is adopted by Apple. And it is not an Apple proprietary format - it seems it will be the next JPG. So not supporting it is not serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's incredible that purchase all the years, a license of a "PRO" suit program (about 800 € all the years since Creative suit 3) and Adobe no solve, no solution to convert a simply image called heic, and go to App store, download iMazing HEIC Converter, batch a lot of heic images and convert all to jpg in 2 minutes... and FREE!!!Seriously Adobe??!!!

Now, you can explain that purchase a license or a patent use, is too expensive and bla, bla, bla... and I & my "customer journey" in Adobe, is a big Pain...

Thanks Adobe to do this effective support to your "customers"

I'm an historic client  from freehand, flash, action script... and now heic... how many more Adobe? I really think now, that choose Adobe apps is a wrong choice... 

Two years ago... and today is the Adobe response: Nothing for your customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very hate adobe. High price but support very low. Android and other support HEIC but photoshop still no support. bad bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports HEIC sind CC 2018 came out in Oct 2017. I even can use its depth-map in Camera Raw.

Can someone elaborate what exactly the problem might be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem for me is that Photoshop does not support HEIC in its Windows version. And most solutions offered here suggest converting to JPG. But I actually want to be able to export to HEIC from Photoshop, including a depth map. And I cannot do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks, 
This issue drove me mad for a while, but if you are using a Mac then there is a very simple automator code that will give right click single and batch conversions for all your HEIC files to Jpeg or another format (albeit limited) of your choosing. The exact layout of automator will depend on your OSX version so there may be a couple of variations as detailed below. 
  1. Open Automator App
  2. In “Choose a type for your document” select “Service” or "Quick Action" then click the "choose" button
  3. In the top bar “Service receive selected” or "workflow receives current" choose “Images” or "image files"
  4. Click on "Photos" in the far left library pane and drag "change type of images" from the middle pane to the main workflow build area to the right. 
  5. In the pop-up warning select “don’t add”
  6. Choose desired format in this example it is JPEG
  7. Save or export it to your desktop as something like "HEIC to JPEG"
  8. Find it on your desktop, Double click for install 
  9. open the folder with your HEIC files in, select one or all of them and then right click, select services at the bottom and then select "HEIC to JPEG"
  10. WARNING - this automation script will replace your existing HEIC files with JPEG, so if you want to keep your original HEIC files make sure to save a backup first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this keep the depth mask channel, though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware, jpeg does not support additional data like HEIC does. I can't comment on the other available conversion formats that can be used in this script. Another good reason to have a back up of the HEIC format before running this automation. It is very useful when you want to quickly export your images into other software that does not support HEIC like MS Office and older versions of photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freakin Adobe, again. Still no support of HEIC in Photoshop 2 years down the line (Windows). What the hell is wrong with you Adobe?!?! Over-priced and still fighting Apple. Grow up people and get professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Adobe....we need HEIC support, please!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that I can't convert them to jpeg, I want a seamless workflow that won't consume more storage and get potentially lower quality between conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or is ADOBE behind.. I think you will find apple have been  up front and windows supports it. As for your claim.. I use both platforms every day and we all still prefer the Mac BUT we can do just as much work on either machine. At the present I have been stuck on PC and my workflow is.... exactly the same.. I think you need to keep up like Adobe  even WINDOWS have been all over it and it is an apple initiative... but that not my problem, I only care about getting the work done and like I said, no issues on either platform in over 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no offence intended just simple facts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but people will say it is apples fault.. How? Android, Apple and windows all can use it. It is a strange thing to me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, thanks for your tutorial.
But this NOT solve the problem, because this solution run only in MAC mojave and above... windows users can't read this image photo format. You know HEIC format it's better than jpg, low capacity in Megabytes an advanced characteristics and quality in the HEIC format...

This solution don't explain that Adobe do NOT support HEIC images, don't read... millions of users has an Apple iPhone or iPad an his photos can't be used in Adobe Apps, because Adove DON'T solve this, they don't like this photo format... and his users need Adobe run HEIC format, because they PAY for this... Adobe don't explain nothing about this... 

Adobe will one day wake up and wonder ... where are my users? Who ate my cheese?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CC 2020!!! ...still waiting HEIC support for this format... well done Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s incredible, they can randomly shut down Business Catalyst and Muse affecting thousands of agencies and customers, purposely avoid cooperating with major technology innovators like Apple and still get away with it. And they control and dominate the industry.

How we hate to love em and love to hate em.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say I forgot it has been 2 years and so now I am a little irritated. Yes yes I have seen so many people say it is Apples fault for NOT staying current YET the new format is progressive and better than JPG. Haters got to hate but misdirected to the wrong culprit. ADOBE failure to launch is mysterious. Is it a licensing thing??? Hmmm like Spiderman and MCU sharing comes to mine.. lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who need to handle HEICs on Windows, here is a workaround:
If you already have a license of Affinity Photo, it already supports HEIC even on Windows.
If you don't have Affinity Photo, use GIMP instead.

They can open HEIC while Photoshop CC 2020 can't.

P.S. If you need to open multiple frames in HEIC, use GIMP. It shows corrupted thumbnail but once you open it works like charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate